Mt Martha Rocks

Mornington, Mt Martha, McCrae, Safety Beach, Mt Eliza
trink80

Mt Martha Rocks

Post by trink80 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:28 pm

Hi Guys,

new to the forum and great to read the reports. I've never been rock fishing I would love to give it a crack targeting squid and snapper off Mt Martha Rocks. Been reading some of the reports and would love to know the exact locations of where to go and the gear that i'd need

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Re: Mt Martha Rocks

Post by Raulfc7 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:36 pm

Try along Hearn Road gear that you may want to use are 10+ foot rods for snapper with either a pat rig or running sinker and don't forget to take your rubbish with you.
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:37 pm

Any of the rock platform will work.

The gear you want will depend exactly on what you're trying to do. Squid gear and Snapper gear is completely different. There are a ton of good reports here, take the time to read through them, different people like different times and tides and winds, but generally accepted is high tide with an onshore. A bit of common sense tells us that snapper will require snapper gear, while a squid jig will work wonders on squid.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 91

Longtail : 1

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:38 pm

Raulfc7 wrote:Try along Hearn Road gear that you may want to use are 10+ foot rods for snapper with either a pat rig or running sinker and don't forget to take your rubbish with you.
Take your rubbish HOME with you is what I think Raul meant....lol..

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:46 pm

CarlG wrote:
Raulfc7 wrote:Try along Hearn Road gear that you may want to use are 10+ foot rods for snapper with either a pat rig or running sinker and don't forget to take your rubbish with you.
Take your rubbish HOME with you is what I think Raul meant....lol..
Yea that's right it would be pretty stupid to take rubbish there lol. Having a hard time this morning with the overnight EPL results.......shattered
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

trink80

Post by trink80 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:46 pm

thanks for all the replys that was quick :thumbsup:

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:16 pm

trink80 wrote:thanks for all the replys that was quick :thumbsup:
we have no life that is why we are always in the forum. :rofl:

For snapper, fish the area when the wind is blowing westerly. Snapper loves rough weather. On calm days, try for calamari. You don't require a special rod to catch cala but as Dougie said, you need squid jigs. :lol: . Bring metal lures too as salmon comes close from time to time.

There is a trail on the right of the bus stop waiting shed/shade. Watch your steps going down the ledge. The loose gravel will send you down the jagged rocks faster than you can say the F words (Fish on!).
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:40 pm

^ There is a really good bit of reef 100 metres to the left of that trail to pull calamari off. Haven't been successful myself, but watched the guy next to me land about 7 or 8 in an hour while I was spinning for salmon one night.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 91

Longtail : 1

nhillboy

Post by nhillboy » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:21 pm

Hi trink and welcome to the site.
Martha rocks for snapper/pinkys 15-20 knot SW, W or Nth.W wind to give you nice rough choppy water. Once it gets 25 - 30knots best not to go there.Surf rods, 3oz to 4oz star sinkers, 1/0 2 hook paternoster rig pillies, squid or blue bait or running sinker rig with 2x 4/0 hooks at the end full pilchard (in case your lucky and a 50+ cm snapper comes along). Keep an eye on waves/water spray when close to edge as you can easily get drenched like a rat. I wear wet weather gear when 20+ knots. Pinkys, Aust.salmon, trevally, flathead to be caught (sometimes whiting). If no bites happening you can throw out a metal lure for any salmon cruising past (gillies pilchard lure treble hook in silver, silver blue 40g).
Calmer conditions under 10 knots depending on time of year you can catch whiting, flathead, salmon, calamari and garfish. Same baits as above plus pipi and the various garfish baits people use. Small rods 7 or 8 footers, 1oz to 2oz bomb sinkers. Sunrise and sunset best times and high tides much better. If i forgot to mention something someone else will post it.
***i prefer to wear work boots rather than runners. More solid on the rough rock egdes and good grip.
Cheers, hope this helps you out some...

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:42 pm

nhillboy wrote:If i forgot to mention something someone else will post it.
you forgot to mention "THE CAR!" Don't leave your car by the roadside after dark.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Return to “Mornington To Dromana”