Black Magic Squid Snatchers - opinions?

Southern Calamari, Squidding, Egi, Squid Jigs, Melbourne Squid Fishing Locations,
Cephalopod
Tim399
Has liked: 252 times

Re: Black Magic Squid Snatchers - opinions?

Post by Tim399 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:49 pm

Sneaky1 wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:10 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:02 pm
Black magic are ok jigs, I've got a few and they catch squid no worries.
Fatter 3.5 jigs doesn't necessarily mean bigger fatter squid. Most of my big squid that have ranged from sizes 35-47cm hoods have all been on size 3.0 jigs

Look into rui jigs too, for a similar price its got lot more colours and models to choose from.
I've had reasonable success with 2.5's, just wanted to try larger jigs and by all means larger jigs don't mean larger squid.
On the other hand I'm a little concerned with larger jigs' sink rate - more of a chance of snagging while drifting? I usually have one rod in holder while flicking the other.
I don't mind the idea of a "fat" jig with weight reduced (Land and Bay Fishing YT).
In my experience, if you are in the snag zone, you are in the strike zone, so don’t stress about being close to the reef or weed.

I troll heavier jigs from the kayak, this helps keep the jig down in the strike zone while covering ground.

I run 20lb leader for squidding, so if I do snag some reef, I can pull hard enough to straighten the prongs, and recover the jig. Doesn’t always work, but has saved me a good handful of jigs.

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Post by Andrews » Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:40 pm

I think most brands of jigs within the same price range would work well, always good to have a range of colours / sizes depending on the conditions / activity.

I've got limited experience fishing a kayak so i'm keen to read what others recommend.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 798 times

Post by Seniorfisho » Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:50 pm

I can't believe people actually put that much thought into squid fishing. We've been catching them for 30 years on some of the crappiest jigs you could imagine. It's far from rocket science
:rf: :rf:

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Post by Andrews » Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:08 pm

Seniorfisho wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:50 pm
I can't believe people actually put that much thought into squid fishing. We've been catching them for 30 years on some of the crappiest jigs you could imagine. It's far from rocket science
You're not wrong, it wasn't that long also we had the old-school wooden jigs.
That said, updated gear never hurts! Otherwise we'd still be rocking wooden fishing poles! haha
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

Sneaky1
Has liked: 71 times

Post by Sneaky1 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:20 pm

Seniorfisho wrote:
On the other hand, there are forums dedicated to squidding, and super-pricey EGI gear too lol
Whatever rocks your boat I guess? :bn:

Sebb
Has liked: 3013 times

Post by Sebb » Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:42 pm

Seniorfisho wrote:
I can drive my mrs to go shopping with a big fat round SUV. But I'm sure it's a lot more fun to drive a Ferrari. And trust me, if I was to buy a Ferrari, I'd put a lot of thoughts. Lol. :rf:
But yeah, still, I don't own a Ferrari, haha. I would if I could though. Lol.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:35 pm

Seniorfisho wrote:
People have been catching bass by pinning crickets and cicadas in the arse for over 100 years. But if you want to get technical and imitate with the latest coloured plastic fantastic then why the hell not and what difference does it ultimately make to anyone else?

Seniorfisho

Post by Seniorfisho » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:48 pm

cobby wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:35 pm
Seniorfisho wrote:
People have been catching bass by pinning crickets and cicadas in the arse for over 100 years. But if you want to get technical and imitate with the latest coloured plastic fantastic then why the hell not and what difference does it ultimately make to anyone else?
Sounds like a waste of money to me, i could probably catch just as many on a plain jig wrapped in silver foil. There is probably a big difference between using bait for bass and jigs for squid, not sure what the comparison is there
Last edited by Seniorfisho on Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seniorfisho

Post by Seniorfisho » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:49 pm

Sebb wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:42 pm
Seniorfisho wrote:
I can drive my mrs to go shopping with a big fat round SUV. But I'm sure it's a lot more fun to drive a Ferrari. And trust me, if I was to buy a Ferrari, I'd put a lot of thoughts. Lol. :rf:
But yeah, still, I don't own a Ferrari, haha. I would if I could though. Lol.
Ferrari squid jigs, lol, that's next level madness :rf:

Seniorfisho

Post by Seniorfisho » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:52 pm

Sneaky1 wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:20 pm
Seniorfisho wrote:
On the other hand, there are forums dedicated to squidding, and super-pricey EGI gear too lol
Whatever rocks your boat I guess? :bn:
Dedicated to squid fishing, I must join one of these, can you use the ink for tattoos?

Return to “Squid Fishing”