Docks and Ponds

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
Laze
Has liked: 18 times

Docks and Ponds

Post by Laze » Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:18 pm

Another sesh down at the docks and the ponds.
Why do I keep going back? This clip sums it up --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EuW_-6 ... nezmma.com

Inner city addiction, even though it usually yields next to nothing, there is something satisfying catching bream right in the heart of Melbourne surrounded by people.

Anyway, I set out early and hit the docks before sunrise.

night_boat.jpg

Water was glassy and probably the clearest I've seen it. Lots of baitfish around, shimmering under the lamp posts. Also a lot of rats scurrying around. Tried a different setup this time with 1/40 ounce HWS jigheads and small grubs. Tiny nibbles and as the sun came up a lot of follows. As opposed to night fishing or fishing chocolate soup, it is nice to know the fish are following the lures however not committing. Swapped over to turtleback worms, more interest but still no commitment. Under platforms, against boats and next to pylons but no hook up.

pylon.jpg
Boat.jpg

Tried the Yarra on the other side, similar story, could see some big fellas lurking but absolutely no interest, no surprise there. Still have yet to catch a bream on a grub in the area, might be a case of the water being too clear. Instead I was catching plenty of sticks and inanimate objects.

Decided to hop on over to the other side where the parking is abundant and free.

Ponds.jpg

Tide was on the way down, I surprised by the amount of life (and human trash) that lives in this creek. The hoons are always revving up and down the area, so I wasn't surprised by the amount of alcohol bottles that littered the area. There were a lot of mud holes and crabs inhabiting them around, maybe it's time to take the hit and get some cranka's. Given the price tag, I'd have to dive in to retrieve them if I lose them :oo:.

Crabbie.jpg

I was working my way up the creek (was blocked due to construction for ages) aiming to get to the base of a bridge which looked like great breamin' ground. I casted out along the way and was getting heaps of bites and nibbles on the turtleback - little fellas nipping at the tail. Also noticed a mangrove tree growing due to some roots popping out, neat. Meandering through the scrub I found 20 bucks, this is the second time I've found loose money, must be doing something right.
With the fear of snakes (though I have yet to see any in Victoria) in the tall grass I stayed hopping the rocks up until I hit some reeds by the water blocking the path. With nowhere else to go I casted out and continued getting nibbles.

Suddenly, I'm startled by some bushes rustling behind me :o_0:, what the F is that! Out pops a man waving me in to his abode 'come, come'. I look left, right, what the hell nowhere else to go. He looks innocent enough - 'dya want a beer?' - 'no thanks', 'come, we can go around'. I'm following this man through some bushes getting my rod tangled wondering if it's worth it. I notice a box of champagne and an assortment of bottles, fair enough. He leads me through an opening out to the other side, I can see the bridge I'm trying to get to in the palm of my hand. In exchange for his troubles I give him the 20 dollars of which he was very grateful for, hopefully it's used sensibly.

Bridge.jpg

I trek through a bit more scrub and end up at the bridge, however its muddy and wet, like I'm going to sink and die muddy. The only way to the edge is hopping on bits of trash. Conveniently, there's a big log leading to one of the bridge base platforms to fish off of. It was risky but it was worth it, I hopped onto the bridge base pillar and started casting. It was super shallow, but I was getting a tonne of nibbles and then a couple hook ups. Small bream, but fun none the less, they were keen. Almost ended up in the drink a couple of times trying to balance on the uneven surface with muddy boots. The tide was really low and the water was rushing out now so I decided to call it quits and head back.

Bream_bridge1.jpg
Bream_bridge.jpg

As I took one step off into the mud due to fear of slipping on the log and HALF MY LEG went into the mud :bn: :bn: :bn: , I managed to pull it out and step off in a quick motion but the damage was done. I meandered through the man's abode and bid him farewell, with a handshake we exchanged names and he showed me a much easier way out then hopping on the rocks. Conveniently there was a water pump which I could wash off nearby. With a bit of time left I hit up the rocks near to the river waters edge and managed another hookup to a little fella and a lot of follows in the main river.

All in all an eventful day, hitting some unexplored grounds.
And yes, I'll be back.

Bream_landing.jpg
Rock hopper, sand dragger, mud slinger.

fisho999
Has liked: 531 times

Re: Docks and Ponds

Post by fisho999 » Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:37 pm

maybe you should have bought a cranka with the $20 that way you wont be loosing money if it gets snagged?

tight lines,
fisho999

greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Post by greggo » Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:03 pm

The old guy's name is Pete. He's been around for at least 20 years that I know of, very funny guy...on the right day.

He often puts on a fluoro top and directs traffic around Docklands, just for a bit of fun. He's caused some huge traffic jams over the years.

Laze
Has liked: 18 times

Post by Laze » Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:28 pm

greggo wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:03 pm
The old guy's name is Pete. He's been around for at least 20 years that I know of, very funny guy...on the right day.

He often puts on a fluoro top and directs traffic around Docklands, just for a bit of fun. He's caused some huge traffic jams over the years.
Far out, has he been in that bush for 20 years? That's insane. Docklands has quite the personality!
Rock hopper, sand dragger, mud slinger.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:46 am

Great report mate in the future you will have to take a few longnecks down to be share with old mate.
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

fisho999
Has liked: 531 times

Post by fisho999 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:20 am

and a cranka

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 798 times

Post by Seniorfisho » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:17 am

you walked right over the best bait of all, you should have put a crab on and do what you do with a cranka, and save yourself some money

Longbombs
Has liked: 19 times

Post by Longbombs » Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:33 pm

Fishing the Yarra around crown always produces on grubs.

Fish top of the high and run out.

Docks is too hard

greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Post by greggo » Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:59 pm

Laze wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:28 pm
Far out, has he been in that bush for 20 years? That's insane. Docklands has quite the personality!
There was another guy we called "The Gnome" looked just like a garden ornament.
He'd walk around all the docks and wharves wheeling his shopping jeep, it was full of all his belongings which included 2 fishing rods. He was always wearing a sleeveless Drizabone coat, whatever the temperature! He'd catch fish and cook them up over a fire wherever he could light one. Crazy guy though, he had a wild temper, especially if he dropped a fish he absolutely go ballistic!

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:57 pm

greggo wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:59 pm
Laze wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:28 pm
There was another guy we called "The Gnome" looked just like a garden ornament.
He'd walk around all the docks and wharves wheeling his shopping jeep, it was full of all his belongings which included 2 fishing rods. He was always wearing a sleeveless Drizabone coat, whatever the temperature! He'd catch fish and cook them up over a fire wherever he could light one. Crazy guy though, he had a wild temper, especially if he dropped a fish he absolutely go ballistic!
You would too if a dropped fish meant your going hungry.
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”