I need a solution to a soft plastic fishing problem

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Hatetangles
Has liked: 72 times

I need a solution to a soft plastic fishing problem

Post by Hatetangles » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:05 pm

Hey people, I recently went to Lake Tyers fishing for bream. While I was there I decided to have a crack at using soft plastics. To my surprise I had a bit of success catching flatties although... I was land based fishing from the bank...and ...
I could only cast my plastic out about 12 meters... so my question is how is it possible to be able to cast further? I would like to cast about 20 or so meters if possible?my understanding is I need a heavier jig head,but i dont want to have a massive hook to go with it...do I need to add a sinker and leader?it or can you get heavier jig heads with appropriate sized hook to go with it?Any advice/help would be appreciated thanks

Irishfisherman
Has liked: 237 times

Re: I need a solution to a soft plastic fishing problem

Post by Irishfisherman » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:30 pm

I wouldn’t really use much more than 1/4oz, otherwise you sacrifice the action of the jig, I would recommend getting a pair of waders if you want to get out further. You could also get a longer rod and using braided fishing line can also increase casting distance. Hope this helps.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:42 pm

Use thin braid, 10lb max.

1/4 oz max.

It will easily give you 20m
Last edited by Fish-cador on Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Post by eddyt » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:47 pm

Use lighter braid. I used to have the same problem trying to cast with mono line. Switched to braid (15lb - coz I didn't know any better) and instantly casting distance went up heaps. Then I went down to 8lb and I can confidently say that casting distance has doubled vs mono.

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 798 times

Post by Seniorfisho » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:33 am

If you want to cast further and catch more fish then use 6lb braid. 10lb is way to heavy and 1/4oz jig head is way too heavy, on 6lb line and 1/16oz jig head andI have no problem casting 20mt, you will get more bites with lighter braid

Sebb
Has liked: 3012 times

Post by Sebb » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:07 am

Make sure you're using the right rod too. As in the casting weight of the rod is for the weight of the lure + jighead.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:07 pm

^ Solid advice all round.

IMO the best improvement you can make to your gear is a high quality 8 carrier braid. Make sure you're casting lures in the right weight range for the rod.

Everyone talks 10lb / 6lb etc but a decent quality line in my opinion is far more important. There is a massive difference between 20lb finns and 20lb tasline.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 91

Longtail : 1

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Post by croe04 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:28 pm

Ditto on pretty much all thats been said in this thread.
If you're targeting bream, you're definitely going to want to run a leader of light mono or fluoro line. This won't impact your casting distance but it'll definitely get you more hookups. When I fish plastics I usually run a rod's length of 8lb mono leader onto a 6lb braid main line.

Hatetangles
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Hatetangles » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:21 am

Thanks for all the replies, I think 6lb braid will be a bit too light...hoping to hook up on some 50+ cm Fish..
As I will be targeting Flatties I think I will try some 8lb braid,I have 10lb fluro leader already,and then get a couple different sized jig heads as suggested. I'm thinking about using my 8'9 squid rod this time which is 2 foot longer than what I used last time,so hopefully I can cast further,if that doesn't work then I might get some waders lol

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:37 am

Hatetangles wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:21 am
Thanks for all the replies, I think 6lb braid will be a bit too light...hoping to hook up on some 50+ cm Fish..
As I will be targeting Flatties I think I will try some 8lb braid,I have 10lb fluro leader already,and then get a couple different sized jig heads as suggested. I'm thinking about using my 8'9 squid rod this time which is 2 foot longer than what I used last time,so hopefully I can cast further,if that doesn't work then I might get some waders lol
1/4oz jighead is half the weight of a 3.0 squid jig. You might have trouble loading that rod properly to get a decent cast out

Return to “General”