Surf fishing

Post your Victorian beach and surf fishing adventures here
e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Surf fishing

Post by e.welch » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:39 am

After being suggested to grab some plastics and fish the shallows I’ve decided to look into it a bit but I’m not very good with lures and the only fish I have caught on them ar flatties. I live in Frankston and can fish from morningto down to Patterson river when theirs no lockdown as thats as far as my mum will take me so any beach that’s better then others? Also what way of using soft plastics is best? Thanks in advance

Longbombs
Has liked: 19 times

Re: Surf fishing

Post by Longbombs » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:23 pm

All you'll need is a light plastics rod/reel and some simple plastics.

7'0", 2-4kg with 6-12lb braid - you can use mono, but you'll find it easier and more effective with braid.

Tie on a 10lb leader.

Some 3" paddle tail plastics - I like Keitech Easy Shiner 3" in any colour.

Use a 1/8oz-1/4oz, #1 or #1/0 jighead.

Try that whole area as you'll get fish everywhere along there

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:10 pm

I used to go floundering from Seaford up to Frankston when I was a young teen in the 80's (quite a few weird dudes around the beach at night, but they didnt really bother us when we were holding a spear and a bright light) Lots of other species come in close at night along there.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:26 pm

I can't help a whole bunch with spots, just had a quick scroll through on google earth and there's some decent looking areas. Just flick it over to satellite view and look for weed beds, rocks or deeper water within 30-50m from the bank and give those areas a try. If you can focus your efforts on sunrise and sunset, failing that most areas will be better at high tide.

Long bombs has nailed the gear side of things, only thing I would change is go over to a zman slim swims or daiwa bait junkie for the plastic. The keitechs are great but are fairly expensive when you're just starting out. Colour wise I would either go with motor oil or a natural bait fish colour (something like bad shad from zman and wakasagi from daiwa)

For your retrieve try mixing it up between just slowly winding the plastic in so that its swimming in the water column and hopping it along the bottom. It can take a bit of time to get the feel for plastics and lure fishing in general but once you get comfortable with it there is some fantastic fishing on offer.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Return to “Surf Fishing”