Where to buy chook pellets for burley?

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
potatoeater
Has liked: 9 times

Where to buy chook pellets for burley?

Post by potatoeater » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:52 am

In the fishing downtime, my itch has been growing and I've been doing a lot of research so I'm all gung ho when restrictions are lifted. My question relates to DIY burley. I've seen recipes that use chicken pellets or lamb/cattle pellets mixed with pillies and tuna oil. Where do people buy these pellets? I went to my local Petbarn and all they sell is premium "egg quality organic" feed at $30 per 25kg. Happy to drive a bit if it means I can stock up on a few bags. Thanks!

denis barden

Re: Where to buy chook pellets for burley?

Post by denis barden » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:15 am

I get 20 kg bags from .WRG Wallington -Called lucky layers

potatoeater

Post by potatoeater » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:39 am

Thanks Denis. I must've driven past that store so many times on my way to Ocean Grove. Will check it out when I can drive again. By the way, do you know what the price is for the Lucky Layers?

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:33 am

His Camship works at Petbarn and I think was getting giant 20kg bags of them for about $15.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 91

Longtail : 1

potatoeater

Post by potatoeater » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:50 pm

Thanks DougieK. I went to a bigger Petbarn and picked up Chicken Pellets, and also the thicker Cattle pellets and an even bigger sized "nugget" feed.

I know pellet size (if you don't mulch it up) affects the dissolving rate and how long it lasts, so I got different sized pellets. Will lace up tuna oil and experiment. Can't wait for fishing to be open again so I can head back to the rocks!

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Post by Andrews » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:40 pm

I might have to give WRG a swing once things lighten up.

You can't go wrong with pellets and tuna oil and you're right about experimenting and seeing what works best.
I love to use a mix of sheep and chicken pellets, 5:1 ratio sheep to chicken for the slow release. Tuna oil and crushed pilchards ontop.
I blend the pellets and old bread, beach sand and tuna oil for a fine release for garfish.

What does everyone else add?

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:48 pm

potatoeater wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:50 pm
Thanks DougieK. I went to a bigger Petbarn and picked up Chicken Pellets, and also the thicker Cattle pellets and an even bigger sized "nugget" feed.

I know pellet size (if you don't mulch it up) affects the dissolving rate and how long it lasts, so I got different sized pellets. Will lace up tuna oil and experiment. Can't wait for fishing to be open again so I can head back to the rocks!
We've had an oil slick from sorrento jetty that goes all the way to the 'couta on a run in like this.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 91

Longtail : 1

fishnut
Has liked: 29 times

Post by fishnut » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:18 pm

potatoeater wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:52 am
In the fishing downtime, my itch has been growing and I've been doing a lot of research so I'm all gung ho when restrictions are lifted. My question relates to DIY burley. I've seen recipes that use chicken pellets or lamb/cattle pellets mixed with pillies and tuna oil. Where do people buy these pellets? I went to my local Petbarn and all they sell is premium "egg quality organic" feed at $30 per 25kg. Happy to drive a bit if it means I can stock up on a few bags. Thanks!
I get mine from pet food store

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:24 pm

When I lived in Melton I used to go to the farm supply joint next to the railway station. Chicken and ewe pellets cheap as. I also have an old coffee grinder for the chook pellets to make a fine powder. Good to know wry at Wellington has them hopefully I will need to restock soon

Return to “General”