Fishing tackle technology over the years.

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Troy McLure
Has liked: 140 times

Fishing tackle technology over the years.

Post by Troy McLure » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:31 pm

I grew up fishing as a kid with the most basic fishing gear, probably like most on here. Had plenty of fish less days but also had some ripping days on the water. Then I stopped for 25 or so years and recently got the bug again. Now I watch blokes on YouTube and see all of the gear that was never around when I was a kid and I’m wondering if it’s necessary. Is fluorocarbon that important as a leader? Circle hooks? 30 buck lures? Or is it just right place right time with the lightest line and smallest sinker and hook like I was taught? I be interested to hear different opinions on here.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: Fishing tackle technology over the years.

Post by Nude up » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:44 pm

No it isn’t necessary you will still catch fish with basic gear. But it is my belief that when the fishing is tough the modern gear comes into its own and will save a day. Plus he who dies with the most fishing tackle wins.

Troy McLure

Post by Troy McLure » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:56 pm

I tell ya, every time I walk into a tackle store I walk out with something I’ll probably never use.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:01 pm

You see some of the Ol' Blokes on the Piers (Jetties) and they have some very basic gear but they have the technique and the know how , , , , and the fish in the buckets.

Cheers, Bugs

colnick
Has liked: 37 times

Post by colnick » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:12 pm

A good question I reckon Troy. There is no real secret to catching fish. Its a matter of lobbing the right bait/lure into the right place at the right time of day/night at the right stage of the tide at the right time of the year. Getting those things consistently right is the most difficult thing to do but, let's face it, in most cases a $50 combo from KMart is quite capable of doing the job - and many people, me included, catch a lot of fish using inexpensive gear.
Having said that, when the going gets tough, really refined gear might give you a bit of an edge. I'm not prepared to go to those lengths but I can understand why others have a different point of view. I expect some vigorous disagreement.

Cheers, Col.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:39 pm

Great question one for you Troy is there more or less fish? And are fishermen more skilled.

Better rods, reels, line and lures / advancement in techniques sports fishing has improved in my eyes.

Items like better sounder/gps combos , anchor winches, peddle yaks yaks and electric motors have made fishing easier for boat and yak anglers.

Then there’s information more readily available online. Think the advancement in technology has changed the game tackle is only a small part.
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

Troy McLure

Post by Troy McLure » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:41 pm

I tend to agree with you Col because of how I used to fish as a kid. I’d expect the younger blokes to maybe have a different opinion (I’m 47) but I would take on board their thoughts.

Troy McLure

Post by Troy McLure » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:45 pm

You make a heap of good points rb, I reckon boats were few and far between but now they’re everywhere and yaks too. I used to read fishing books that I’d get for Christmas to learn different things whereas now it’s straight onto the net. Plus google maps is an awesome tool for fishermen.

Troy McLure

Post by Troy McLure » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:46 pm

Probably less fish and lots more fishermen too.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:49 pm

It depends on what you're fishing for. Throw a double pilli patto rig on a handlinein 18m off Carrum and you'll eventually catch a fish.

If you want to cast lures then there's minimum gear you'll need. That minimum gear changes as the fish you target and where you're targetting them change.

In 6 years since i've taken fishing back up, i've gone from spinning salmon at gunners on an $81 dollar catana / solstace combo to driving /walking / climbing into unimaginable spots using a $500 assassin popping / sticky rod and a saltiga for almost everything.

The situation demands the gear, not the other way round. What you get out of it comes from the situation.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 91

Longtail : 1

Return to “General”