Corona virus part 2

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Corona virus part 2

Post by 4liters » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:53 pm

Yota wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:32 pm
Ok so here goes,, I’m asking this because the status of a lot of things changes every few hours, as in it’s not getting better.
I understand the social distancing thing, and I would have thought that we are meant to be restricting travel to only essential travel ? Or is that a stage 2 thing ?
But I received an email this afternoon from a fishing tackle shop promoting this week’s opening hours. In the style of come on down and pick up your bait etc etc
So can I still take my boat out solo on the bay - if I have no virus symptoms ?
I think the most accurate answer is 'who the hell knows??'.

If anyone tells you that you shouldn't be driving to the ramp just explain that not fishing makes you suicidal or something so technically it's essential travel.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:49 pm

My interpretation is it's calling on people themselves to make the call on whether or not they should engage in an activity like fishing. With everything governments have to balance right now, I think it's fair for the more ambiguous stuff to be left to people to decide using the guidelines provided eg:

X or more people - no
Is at X, X or X location - no
With people who X, X or X - no
You have X, X or X symptoms - no

If ok and then out - practice X, X and X social distancing and hygiene standards.

Of course, there are plenty of idiots that ruin common sense guidelines working as they are intended to

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:34 pm

Pretty sure nz are now going into a full lockdown.

They have 100 cases all ready

Pretty good pm they have ...we have the rabbit sco mo. Now acting 4 weeks to late

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:37 pm

4liters wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:23 pm
cobby wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:10 pm
frozenpod wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:58 pm
787 cases with 250ish traced to be from overseas. Of the 500 remaining about half is listed as local transmission and the rest unknown according to one site.

With the borders closed could be perfect time for a lock down to stop the spread.

option A
3 weeks of tough times with lock down then almostvback to normal.

Option B
6 months of the country running in limp mode.

I wonder which option will have more impact on the economy.
Either isn't going to matter one way or the other. We're heading for something far worse than the recession we had to have
Early reports are that there are 2.25 million newly unemployed people in the US this week. The previous largest increase in unemployment there was 600k. We'll probably see similar rates here although the raw numbers will be lower due to the lower population. If we don't end up with great depression levels of unemployment I'll be surprised.

Not much that can be done stimulus-wise because the problem isn't that people don't have money to spend, it's that they can't physically go and spend it.
And you know what won't be reported, won't have extra money spent on nor will it garner any media attention? The increase in drug and alcohol related problems once it all blows over and people come to grips with having absolutely nothing. And the suicides, which I would almost bet a Toorak mansion on totalling higher than the deaths from the virus itself over the next 5 years as a direct consequence of the economic catastrophe

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:07 pm

The outcome from this pandemic is going to be pretty bad we all know it. You cannot solely blame the government for what supposedly will happen.

Be glad your not in a 3rd world country where you get fkall incentives from the government, they are the people that are going to be absolutely decimated!!!
People take everything for granted here!!!!

Troy McLure
Has liked: 140 times

Post by Troy McLure » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:28 pm

I agree that the government are a bit behind but there is more to it than my little brain can comprehend. Only time will tell but I reckon Scomo is going ok and I’m glad I live here rather than just about any other country.

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:47 pm

the govt says you can take your dog for a walk as long as you social distance. Ergo that would be a green light for any other outing as long as you are keeping your distance. Pretty sure if more than one on a boat it is not social distancing, so its not impossible cops could stop that. Nothing wrong with solo kayaks as they dont conflict with the intention.

At the end of the day its not just whats legal or not, its what is complying with the underlying principle...

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:02 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:07 pm
Be glad your not in a 3rd world country where you get fkall incentives from the government, they are the people that are going to be absolutely decimated!!!
Or a first world country like the US where it looks like people are getting stuff all and the Prez is insinuating he wants to wind back the lockdowns and social isolation policies to make the share market happy
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

happyfriggincamper

Post by happyfriggincamper » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:36 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:07 pm
The outcome from this pandemic is going to be pretty bad we all know it. You cannot solely blame the government for what supposedly will happen.

People take everything for granted here!!!!
Agree there are some people who complain regardless and with no consideration - I can empathize with how difficult this would be to deal with on the fly and I'm grateful to live in a country that been able to organise a sizeable double stimulus package.

Its not a situation any ruling body could guarantee they did it the right way. This is not an easy task to handle on any perspective and so damn complex to balance conflicting priorities within multiple restraints. Like others have mentioned this is a lose lose situation even if they win and regardless of how it's handled, there are unfortunately a number of people that will feel the brunt of it for various reasons in and out of their control

The govt does have a huge role to play for an incredibly diverse set of needs in a completely unknown situation - but people also have their own responsibilities in this as well, mainly not being overly self preserved in their actions or creating unneeded friction when everyone is thinking and feeling it relating to their circumstances.

happyfriggincamper

Post by happyfriggincamper » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:45 pm

Media needs to do their bit too!

Return to “General”