Outboard Tracking

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
russellh2
Has liked: 1 time

Outboard Tracking

Post by russellh2 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:56 am

??? Thought this might be a good idea - fit a tracking device to their Outboard motor - Not sure if you can, but, think if it works, would assist in recovering stolen Motor / Boats.

Robbie1950
Has liked: 213 times

Re: Outboard Tracking

Post by Robbie1950 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:14 am

How about you spend that money insuring your boat mate.

repspec
Has liked: 11 times

Post by repspec » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:29 am

there are companies that do gps tracking for boats, but having paid up insurance is the best option

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:57 am

when i bought my boat motor (tohatsu) it came with the offer of free data dot technology service. very similar to what subaru use in their cars.
i signed up to it, and in a weeks time got the kit to get it done.
it had some sort of clear coat paint with micro dot particles in it that has your outboard serial number and few other things digitally imprinted into it.
you then just swab it onto various parts of the motor and thats it.
if stolen and recovered i suppose/or if suspected stolen the dots can be read by a special tool and ownership verified.

but having insurance is definitely a good idea..
not just for it being stolen, but public liability as well.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:57 pm

Robbie1950 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:14 am
How about you spend that money insuring your boat mate.
GPS tracker would be cheaper than the insurance excess....plus it would be nice to have a chat with the person that stole it.

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:52 pm

All good and well, until you find out most car/boat/caravan thieves now days have one of these little gizmos.

https://www.jammer-store.com/gp5000-car ... ocker.html

VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Post by VooDoo » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:06 pm

Brett wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:52 pm
All good and well, until you find out most car/boat/caravan thieves now days have one of these little gizmos.

This is actually pretty deflating - seriously thought installing the tracker on the boat and/or motor was a a smart way to track your stolen goodies. Seem like the bad guys always have an answer to all our ingenious ideas.

BTW - if i was the bad guy, i would invest in one of these rather than the above - https://www.jammer-store.com/altron-4-h ... ammer.html

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

Dr Snapper
Has liked: 7 times

Post by Dr Snapper » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:48 pm

russellh2 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:56 am
??? Thought this might be a good idea - fit a tracking device to their Outboard motor - Not sure if you can, but, think if it works, would assist in recovering stolen Motor / Boats.
I’ve been meaning to look into smoke bombs. These are used by businesses mainly to scare the **** out of ar$eholes robbing the place. A person can check there cameras and if they see a burglary in progress, set off a fog or smoke bomb and scare the **** out of the robbers and they run off.I think the smoke bomb needs to be hard wired.

If you get a smoke bomb for a boat, and realise the boat has been stolen, you can set it off.
If the boat is still on the road, the fire brigade will be called. If it’s in the shed the neighbours will the the place is on fire and call the fire brigade. A quick investigation and the boat if found to be stolen.

Better still, if a sticker / sign on the boat said it contained a smoke bomb or two, the ar$eholes would think twice about stealing it.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:33 am

Dr Snapper wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:48 pm
russellh2 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:56 am
I’ve been meaning to look into smoke bombs. These are used by businesses mainly to scare the **** out of ar$eholes robbing the place. A person can check there cameras and if they see a burglary in progress, set off a fog or smoke bomb and scare the **** out of the robbers and they run off.I think the smoke bomb needs to be hard wired.

If you get a smoke bomb for a boat, and realise the boat has been stolen, you can set it off.
If the boat is still on the road, the fire brigade will be called. If it’s in the shed the neighbours will the the place is on fire and call the fire brigade. A quick investigation and the boat if found to be stolen.

Better still, if a sticker / sign on the boat said it contained a smoke bomb or two, the ar$eholes would think twice about stealing it.
Instead of smoke bombs use flamethrowers. Do it properly like James Bond!

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:44 am

Brett wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:52 pm

"We designed this small yet very handy device in order to help millions of truck drivers around the world who suffer from GPS tracking placed in their 18-wheelers by their employers and who think that their privacy rights are violated in this way."

Hahahaha

Reminds me of the legal way to sell drug paraphernalia in sex shops. "Here's a bong, smoke your tobacco through one of these instead of the boring way in cigarettes."

Return to “General”