What are you good at, average and not very good? With tips and tricks

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Re: What are you good at, average and not very good? With tips and tricks

Post by smokin_reels » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:12 pm

Getting better with lures for sure. Hard to believe its only been about 16 months since I caught my first bream on a hardbody.
Wouldnt be half as good as I am if it wasnt for Mazman. Kayak fishing has been an eye opener.

What im good at I find, is actually having the willingness to try something new.
Often thats the hardest part, with today's knowledge base, there is always info out there. Just doing the basics right be it lure fishing\bait fishing\live bait , without over complicating rigs and finding reasonable locations has paid off big time for me.
Like Maz says, sometimes the basics are the hardest to do.

What i really need to improve on,
- Reading the sounder, especially using the side scan properly.
- Organising my tackle

I chase all fish with the same enthusiasm and with varied results, but I can live with that.
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:14 pm

Really good at finding fish.

Catching fish decent.

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Post by April Fool » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:11 pm

Good at buying stuff I don't need!

Good at 'picking' brains for info. Not where to go, more so how to do things and I have the ability to ask the right questions to get the most out of whoever I am interrogating! We have some great talent here in our local tackle stores.

What is my 'bad' aspect...I lack the resolve to follow through quickly. Mainly due to physical inability, amongst other things.
Cheers
Team Bender
Procrastinators of the world unite...tomorrow!!!!

greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Post by greggo » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:20 pm

April Fool wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:11 pm

Haha...GOLD!

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:29 pm

April Fool wrote:

Don't buy anymore lures.PNG

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:12 pm

April Fool wrote:
you stole mine!

I am good at bait fishing and have learnt to catch squid over the last year or so.

I am learning soft plastics but i am still very average.

I am bad at tying dropper loops, i have wasted so much leader material its not funny. I dont know what i am doing wrong, have watched countless how to videos and seem to be tying it right, but it works less than 50% of the time. Which makes tying double drop leaders very hard!
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:17 pm

April Fool wrote:
Hahaha i think we all have a bit of this in us. Usually comes with justifications in our head.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:11 pm

good at catching gar,s same with squid very handy using and catching fish on soft plastics (been using for over20yrs) .Now the not so good snapper on bait if i use snelled hooks they keep biting in the middle between the two hook,s.bloody metal lures cant get that right lure seem,s to be right up near the surface if i slow down on the retreive i,m not sure if the lure is producing the right action yeah i know use a heavier lure just not sure if throwing a 40grm lure would be appropriate for the local pier,s brighton, mordy etc any advice? I mainly use a 1/8 jighead for my softplastic,s and know exactly how to work them

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Post by croe04 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:51 pm

My turn!

I'm a very competent when it comes to trout on bait and spinners. I've caught numerous stocked trout, and a few nice wild ones when I was back home in NZ. Wild trout are great fun, they'll jump and shake and go ballistic when you hook up to one. Stocked trout, not so much. I'd love to go fish a river like the goulbourn, ovens or rubicon but its too out of the way for me and I only have my L's lol.
As for tips, stocked trout are pretty dumb and powerbait is practically a no-brainer. Live worms work pretty good as well. size 6-10 hook is a must (i like suicides.) Fish with a small running sinker with about 20-30cm leader. Powerbait comes off easy, so dip it in water just before you cast. They bite very subtly so hold your rod.
Wild trout are a completely different bunch. The ones I have delt with are very, very picky. You'll struggle to get bites after about 10 o'clock because they have stopped feeding, and no matter what you do, they will not take your lure or bait, even if it's right in front of their eyes. Dawn and Dusk are undeniably the best times. Spinnerbaits are fun and work well. If you're fishing a river with a steady current, cast upstream and let your spinner slowly drift down river, reeling just enough that the blade spins around. Sometimes just not touching it and letting it just drift works as well. Flies are fun to use, i use a bubble float since i don't have a fly rod.

But, when it comes to saltwater, I am garbage. As for bait, I'm very mediocre. I've caught a few whiting and pinkies a couple times, heaps of toadies, and not much else. I am also yet to catch something on a lure or SP, no matter how many times i've tried. I'm still learning though, and I hope once I figure out what I'm doing the fish will start coming. I recently bought a squid jig, and I'm still trying to figure that out as well.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:31 pm

greggo wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:20 pm
April Fool wrote:

Haha...GOLD!
Dyslexics of the world untie get's me everytime you post on breammaster
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Return to “General”