Aluminium vs fibreglass

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Nickkringle

Aluminium vs fibreglass

Post by Nickkringle » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:25 pm

Hi all I'm new to this forum and I'm pleased to be apart of it.ive done some surf fishing with no luck but a lot of goodluck landbased at the baron river with whiting.. looking at getting into boating on westernport and port philipbay chasing gummies and snapper mainly and looking at buying a 4.2+ meter tinny or a half cabin fibreglass I've got a fair bit of boating experience in freshwater lakes and rivers but never operated a boat in the bays as I'm new to Victorian waters 5 (years) in victoria.. so I am just asking what's a preferred boat and why fibreglass is better and vice versa. Thanks in advance budget I'm looking at is $6000

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Re: Aluminium vs fibreglass

Post by e.welch » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:27 pm

always a tinny they are stronger and will last longer

Nickkringle

Post by Nickkringle » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:31 pm

e.welch wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:27 pm
Yea that's what I was thinking I'm looking at a quintrex sandpaper at geelong marine world for $5500 but im also looking at a carribean fibreglass half cabin for $4000 but I'd prefer tinny knowing in the back of my mind it can handle a fair bit of roughness to it without thinking I'm going to take on water

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:33 pm

e.welch wrote:
and how exactly did you come up with that conclusion?

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:39 pm

Nickkringle wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:25 pm
Hi all I'm new to this forum and I'm pleased to be apart of it.ive done some surf fishing with no luck but a lot of goodluck landbased at the baron river with whiting.. looking at getting into boating on westernport and port philipbay chasing gummies and snapper mainly and looking at buying a 4.2+ meter tinny or a half cabin fibreglass I've got a fair bit of boating experience in freshwater lakes and rivers but never operated a boat in the bays as I'm new to Victorian waters 5 (years) in victoria.. so I am just asking what's a preferred boat and why fibreglass is better and vice versa. Thanks in advance budget I'm looking at is $6000
have you got suitable space to store the boat and a vehicle capable to tow the new boat?
fibreglass will ride a lot more comfortable. but is also a bit more costlier to maintain (if doing things by the book)
tinnies seem to be more cheaper to buy, specially a used one.
make sure the boats you are looking at has also got a decent trailer, as you will find out the hard way otherwise.
if i were you i would hire a boat first and see what its like on the bay before you take the plunge, the bay is a lot different to lakes and rivers boating wise

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:39 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:33 pm
e.welch wrote:
Was wondering the same thing?

Nickkringle

Post by Nickkringle » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:50 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:39 pm
Nickkringle wrote:
have you got suitable space to store the boat and a vehicle capable to tow the new boat?
fibreglass will ride a lot more comfortable. but is also a bit more costlier to maintain (if doing things by the book)
make sure the boats you are looking at has also got a decent trailer, as you will find out the hard way otherwise.
if i were you i would hire a boat first and see what its like on the bay before you take the plunge, the bay is a lot different to lakes and rivers boating wise
Yea well I'm looking at putting it in storage as I live in maryborough so it's a fair drive to fish and I've always made sure the trailers are in top order as I ain't travelling along a freeway and all of a sudden a bearing goes and I'm causing traffic chaos been there done that on our old river boat. And yea I've heard fibreglass are expensive to maintain. I like savage and quintrex tinnies

Tackleberry
Has liked: 289 times

Post by Tackleberry » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:59 pm

Up to 4.2 tinny any bigger glass all the way .
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:13 pm

rb85 wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:33 pm
e.welch wrote:
Was wondering the same thing?
Probably just a guess...

Anyway... I'd stick with a coke can. You'd have to double the budget for a glass boat that doesn't have any serious questions about needing a rebuild. Any corrosion/electrolysis in the coke can is much easier to see (a floor is either a couple of screws to lift in a tinny vs a holesaw in a fibreglass boat). And for a similar age/condition a tinny is generally much much cheaper

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:15 pm

Nickkringle wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:50 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Nickkringle wrote:
Yea well I'm looking at putting it in storage as I live in maryborough so it's a fair drive to fish and I've always made sure the trailers are in top order as I ain't travelling along a freeway and all of a sudden a bearing goes and I'm causing traffic chaos been there done that on our old river boat. And yea I've heard fibreglass are expensive to maintain. I like savage and quintrex tinnies
mate thats a fair distance to drive to do a fishing trip. theres quite a few polycraft boats down your way, i would suggest that you look at them but its out of your rice range, so lets leave it at that.
trailer is a very important part of a fishing boat (that needs to be towed of course) not just bearings. chasis, proper alignment, electricals many things that can stop you going fishing on a dud trailer.
if you already like tinnies then aim for a good used 5m and it will be perfect for a few people out in the bay.
a 2 stroke motor will be cheaper to buy, but also loose money when resale, so take all that into consideration

Return to “General”