Yarra River - Wonga Park

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Yarra River - Wonga Park

Post by ChrisD » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:55 am

Put in about 10 hours with lines in the water at Wonga Park in the last week, between the golf course and Wittons Reserve, and not even manage a bite Bangg . This time last year the same area was on fire, plenty of carp, mac perch and eels. This year nothing. Not sure if it is becuase there is still alot of water coming down river, or if there is extra fishing pressure on the area, as I do seem to be seeing alot more people around there this year.
Anyway, just wondering if anyone else has tried the area with any success, or not, recently?

simon2g

Re: Yarra River - Wonga Park

Post by simon2g » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:13 am

plenty of success myself behind the gold course chris. haven't tried it in over 3 weeks but when i was going i was catching every trip. i hope it hasnt slowed down, as this was my go to spot to sink a line with worms

ChrisD

Post by ChrisD » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:19 am

Had no joy there either, will just have to continue persisting

simon2g

Post by simon2g » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:30 pm

gday chris, tried behind the golfcourse today for roughly 3 hours. grabbed a carp on bread on the hour mark after that had one bust me off in some snags and than two other bites that didnt end in a hook up instead with my bait gone (worms), 1 rod worms, 1 rod bread. bread took the carp, but the rest of the bites were on worms. nice couple hours

ChrisD

Post by ChrisD » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:50 am

Luck finally changed last night. Walked into a more isolated section of the river last night, right between the golf course and Wittons and landed 3 eels. Had a bite frenzy for about 40mins, ended up dropping back to just one rod, rather than 2, as it was getting crazy trying to keep up to two.
After that 40mins it went dead again. But at least I can add eels to my Yarra river catches, but those decent sized redfin continue to elude me.

simon2g

Post by simon2g » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:55 am

what were you catching eels on mate? and were you there at night to be catching eels

i wouldnt mind trying my hand at eels, heard they are a tough fight, how do you go about handling them?

Bruce_1974
Has liked: 6 times

Post by Bruce_1974 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:36 pm

Hello lads, it’s been over 6 years, I thought that it would be a good idea to get this Forum back up and running due to the current circumstances. Since the river is within 5 km of of my rental I think that we could all meet up for a fishing session with masks and keeping the Necessary distance apart when the time is right. I have been fishing here since I was a little boy and I have a lot of experience. I have been very lonely since my wife took off without notice. I would very much appreciate it if you lot could get back to me. #WongaParkFishingCrew :gj:

thorax111

Post by thorax111 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:51 pm

Hi Bruce ,
I also grew up fishing the river here from riding our bikes there at 3am to being dropped off and fishing from 6 till 6. I have caught Roach , carp ,trout , eels ,yabbies ,turtles ,reddies, macca's, cod and 1 blackfish ....lol. The best bait for the roach and carp to 12kilo is dough flavored with paprika everything else will fall to worms under float or fished on the bottom.It was not uncommon for us to take 20 roach a few large carp and a handful of reddies, every time we went .The Macca's really started coming on strong at the start of the 2000's with bagging out easy possible. Big bags of eels were taken at night in summer ,and the best cod taken coming in around 7 kilo .....Loved growing up on the Yarra here ,was and prob still is great fishing here.

Return to “Yarra Valley and surrounds”