Offshore Lakes Entrance

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Offshore Lakes Entrance

Post by re-tyred » Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:05 am

With KGWs being a bit slow I have been offshore in the tinny on the flat calm days, also crewed on a charter trip.
The fishing has been excellent.
The charter trip with seven people produced 15 40+cm snapper, a gummy, a small mako. About a doz flatties and a few other mixed fish. Not bad for the morning.
My tinny trips have been good too. I usual go at daylight and back for morning tea
3 trips all no more than 5nm from the entrance have produced 4 gummies and about 20 good size flatties. I let anything under 35cm go. All to the west of lakes in 12-18 MTRS. Yesterday's gummy was just 1 nm from the entrance. A few big stingrays around. Had one I couldn't budge. Towed the tinny around. Ended up tieing off the line and driving away. Lost both hooks but got the rest back. Next trip Tuesday by the sound of the weather.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Paulanderson
Has liked: 59 times

Re: Offshore Lakes Entrance

Post by Paulanderson » Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:06 pm

Thanks for the info re-tyred - 6 hours today for 3 just legal but released KGW and 2 baby Flatties - quite a few KGW visible but not interested. if calm early tomorrow its heading outside for a try!

Paulanderson

Post by Paulanderson » Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:26 pm

Well I followed in re-tyred footsteps today and fished between 16 and 20 fathoms 3 to 4 km West of Lakes Entrance. Kept 8 good flatties and 4 large gurnard plus many flatties released. Sadly the gummies stayed away!

Paulanderson

Post by Paulanderson » Mon May 01, 2023 8:31 am

Two more trips outside the past week with a dozen good flatties, many smaller ones released, and a few more large gurnard. Nothing wrong with gurnard in the eating department and easy to fillet. No gummies yet though. Interesting watching the pelicans eat gurnard frames - they toss them around inside their mouths to make sure they go down head first.

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Fri May 05, 2023 3:23 pm

Out today. 4 nm south of the entrance 33mtrs. 2 of us out at 6am. Back for lunch . 10 good size pinkies. More bulleye Gurnard than I could count. I kept 3 for myself and gave my mate the rest.
Attachments
IMG_20230505_134447_101.jpg
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Paulanderson

Post by Paulanderson » Fri May 05, 2023 4:37 pm

I fished today about 2 km West of the entrance in 16 to 20 fathoms. Was rather quiet apart from a lot of small salmon - which were a real pain. I ended up with 5 Flathead between 35 and 40 cm - no small ones this trip. Was like a mill pond - the drift was too slow most of the time.

Paulanderson

Post by Paulanderson » Fri May 05, 2023 8:27 pm

Oooops that was metres - am showing my age!!!!!

Paulanderson

Post by Paulanderson » Sat May 13, 2023 4:09 pm

Headed out early today to chase Flathead and a few Gurnard - that failed miserably but the Gummies kept me busy from time to time. I kept the first 2 and then over the next few hours managed another 3 - all released. Sad to say Gummy No 4 was twice the size of the two I kept - a good feed of fillets now in the freezer though. As you can see the conditions were tough!!!!!
Attachments
May 13 .2.resize.jpg
May 13 .1.resize.jpg

Paulanderson

Post by Paulanderson » Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:41 pm

Finally a morning where there was not too much wind or chop. Did not venture far from the entrance and drifted for about 3 hours starting in 10 m using squid. Fishing was pretty quiet but ended up with 3 each Flathead and Gurnard worth keeping.
Did hook one monster of the deep and lost it not far below the boat - a decent sized school shark I think. Gurnard and chips coming up tonight!

Paulanderson

Post by Paulanderson » Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:40 pm

Gave it another try this morning - about 2 - 3 km West of the entrance and managed 8 keeper Flatties (lots of very small ones) and 3 big Gurnard.

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”