Pulled out of Jacksons Creek

Caught a fish and you don't know what it is? Ask here...
Charles7
Has liked: 98 times

Re: Pulled out of Jacksons Creek

Post by Charles7 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:13 pm

canned_tuna wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:23 pm
Back in the day (nearly 30 years ago) I used to fish to the left of the bridge on Bulla Rd, and I used to get small brown trout and carp/goldfish hybrids
using course fishing techniques, waggler floats with maggots for bait. Never got any decent size carp which is what I was fishing for although I'm sure they are there. Also caught a few turtles from memory which were a PITA.
Your pic is a tench, they can be a lot greener than that and are a beautiful looking fish straight out of the water
Just curious if you're talking about Deep Creek at Bulla? I only gave it a go a handful of times and nothing but donuts for me 😂

Sonny_Jim
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Sonny_Jim » Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:22 pm

I'd probably give deep creek a miss from now on considering what's just been dumped at the tip there :( Hence why I've been focusing on further upstream. Also glad that it's not just me hitting donuts at Spavin Lake, I only got into fishing recently so it was very demoralising to sit there hour after hour catching diddly squat.

I have caught 2 turtles by accident down at the Nook, that was on a float with power bait. Literally the only thing I've ever caught on power bait lol. After watching Robbiefishing I decided to switch to paternoster + worms and I chucked the power bait in the bin and my catch rate went right up.

Walter J Smith Reserve is a great little spot and was the place that finally got me the enthusiasm for fishing (that and Robbies videos). You aren't going to catch anything spectacular there but it's a very reliable spot (for me, anyway). My recipe is to go there just before sunset and cast 3-4M off the bank by the trees. Very easy to catch little redfin and trout when it's been stocked.

Itching to go back to my new spot now with some corn and see if I can't pull out any carp. It's certainly easier to get to than Lake Eppalock, which was my previous 'sure thing' spot.

EDIT: Also will have to give Hanging Rock Lake a try, not been there yet.
EDIT2: Also I think deep creek has had warnings put out about the fire fighting chemical run off from the airport (PFAs):

canned_tuna
Has liked: 15 times

Post by canned_tuna » Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:41 pm

Charles7 wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:13 pm
canned_tuna wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:23 pm
Back in the day (nearly 30 years ago) I used to fish to the left of the bridge on Bulla Rd, and I used to get small brown trout and carp/goldfish hybrids
using course fishing techniques, waggler floats with maggots for bait. Never got any decent size carp which is what I was fishing for although I'm sure they are there. Also caught a few turtles from memory which were a PITA.
Your pic is a tench, they can be a lot greener than that and are a beautiful looking fish straight out of the water
Just curious if you're talking about Deep Creek at Bulla? I only gave it a go a handful of times and nothing but donuts for me 😂
Nah it was Jacksons creek, off Bulla Diggers rest rd

Paulanderson
Has liked: 60 times

Post by Paulanderson » Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:19 am

Those that are a bit ancient like me may remember the Sunbury Rock Festivals held 1972 to 1975. The stage was located above a bend of Jackson's Creek between Sunbury and Diggers Rest. I organized much of the on the ground set up for each festival and spent quite a few early mornings and evenings casting lures along the creek. In those days there were quite a few Brown Trout in the creek with the largest I caught about 3 lbs on the old scale. Most were about a pound or so. There were a few large Redfin around as well.

fisho999
Has liked: 531 times

Post by fisho999 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:50 am

Sonny_Jim wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:22 pm
I'd probably give deep creek a miss from now on considering what's just been dumped at the tip there :( Hence why I've been focusing on further upstream. Also glad that it's not just me hitting donuts at Spavin Lake, I only got into fishing recently so it was very demoralising to sit there hour after hour catching diddly squat.

I have caught 2 turtles by accident down at the Nook, that was on a float with power bait. Literally the only thing I've ever caught on power bait lol. After watching Robbiefishing I decided to switch to paternoster + worms and I chucked the power bait in the bin and my catch rate went right up.

Walter J Smith Reserve is a great little spot and was the place that finally got me the enthusiasm for fishing (that and Robbies videos). You aren't going to catch anything spectacular there but it's a very reliable spot (for me, anyway). My recipe is to go there just before sunset and cast 3-4M off the bank by the trees. Very easy to catch little redfin and trout when it's been stocked.

Itching to go back to my new spot now with some corn and see if I can't pull out any carp. It's certainly easier to get to than Lake Eppalock, which was my previous 'sure thing' spot.

EDIT: Also will have to give Hanging Rock Lake a try, not been there yet.
EDIT2: Also I think deep creek has had warnings put out about the fire fighting chemical run off from the airport (PFAs):
robbie fishing is great, he's very helpful. i don't do paternoster rigs cos I reckon they tangle too much, I use running sinker rigs. it's all up to personnel preference.

Sonny_Jim
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Sonny_Jim » Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:53 pm

Went back today and caught another two so it gave me the opportunity to take a better photo:

Caught a little rainbow trout as well:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:31 am

Sonny_Jim wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:53 pm
Went back today and caught another two so it gave me the opportunity to take a better photo:

A couple of nice fish mate.
Well done.
Cheers 👍🏻

Russell Harris
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Russell Harris » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:52 am

Juvinile Yellow Belly???

Paulanderson
Has liked: 60 times

Post by Paulanderson » Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:11 pm

Odds on it is a Tench!

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:01 pm

Sonny_Jim wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:53 pm

Definitely a tench as others have said.
The second fish is a little brown trout though
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Return to “Fish ID”