Port Arlington ting 31/8

King George Whiting, KGW, Ting
Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: Port Arlington ting 31/8

Post by Nude up » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:44 am

fishnut wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:00 am
Over the years I've tried for whiting from Altona to wedge spit in the colder months without any success so instead of wasting time trying I just go over that area
The water temp is about 1-2°warmer from Port Arlington to Queenscliff in the shallows ,maybe due to the extensive weed beds or being influenced by the warmer ocean currents in winter, also I have found a lot of the weed areas around wedge spit die off or turn brown during the winter which the whiting may not like
It's not that far across from Werribee to Portarlington which is 15ks and takes around 25mins when calm
I have noticed the weed beds between Port and Clifton Springs have died off over winter but we had a good look the other day and it has started growing back this seems to happen every year.
Strange this year the winter whiting between Port and Clifton Springs are scarce but between Port and St leonards have been ok

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:15 pm

Nude up wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:44 am
fishnut wrote:
Over the years I've tried for whiting from Altona to wedge spit in the colder months without any success so instead of wasting time trying I just go over that area
The water temp is about 1-2°warmer from Port Arlington to Queenscliff in the shallows ,maybe due to the extensive weed beds or being influenced by the warmer ocean currents in winter, also I have found a lot of the weed areas around wedge spit die off or turn brown during the winter which the whiting may not like
It's not that far across from Werribee to Portarlington which is 15ks and takes around 25mins when calm
I have noticed the weed beds between Port and Clifton Springs have died off over winter but we had a good look the other day and it has started growing back this seems to happen every year.
Strange this year the winter whiting between Port and Clifton Springs are scarce but between Port and St leonards have been ok
It's also strange that the last 2 summers the whiting were scarce around wedge spit

Nude up

Post by Nude up » Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:27 pm

fishnut wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:15 pm
Nude up wrote:
fishnut wrote:
It's also strange that the last 2 summers the whiting were scarce around wedge spit
Let's hope in the next few years with no more netting things will pick up

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:07 am

Can only hope,if it doesn't we won't have the netters to blame but only our lack of skill lol

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Post by Andrews » Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:07 am

Make sense with the warmer temps, the whole Point Richard and Prince George banks are quite shallow, and close enough to get the warmer water from the heads.

I think you're spot on with the decrease in density of eel grass beds, had a chat with a friend who has a Phd in as he calls 'Seaweed Sciences' and he suggested that the large amount of strong N / E winds which have been hitting Springs, Port, St Leonards has negatively affected the density of weed beds. It's a natural trend, while he also suggested that the greater tidal flow has helped reduce the effects in some areas.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

Travis
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Travis » Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:04 pm

Nude up wrote:
fishnut wrote:
I also noticed the the lack of grass beds approximately 5 weeks ago whilst on the kayak. Everywhere there was a good amount of weed had disappeared and replaced with a ridiculous amount of starfish, and I’m talking a lot of starfish. Weed beds in only seem to start from tennis court house down

Travis
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Travis » Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:20 pm

Thought I may ad some context to the reply.
Been fishing for whiting/squid this area for the past 6 years

Joker91
Has liked: 111 times

Post by Joker91 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:31 pm

Good catch mate!

Nude up

Post by Nude up » Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:25 pm

Travis wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:20 pm
Thought I may ad some context to the reply.
Been fishing for whiting/squid this area for the past 6 years
We noticed the same but it seems to be growing back from the tennis courts back to port

Return to “Whiting Fishing”