SALMON AND MACKEREL TIPS

Targetting a specific fish species? Post your tactics here...
Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Re: SALMON AND MACKEREL TIPS

Post by Fish-cador » Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:21 pm

sandef wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:08 pm
fisho999 wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:45 pm
hey
looking for some tips on targeting salmon and Spanish mackerel land based and pier based around port albert and 90 mile beach, or anywhere around those that are within a 1 hour drive.

fisho999
You won't get Spanish mackerel in Victoria salmon can be anywhere
He has better luck catching Spanish surfers in Vic.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Post by Andrews » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:04 am

All great advice here, if you're planning on fishing the beach the rod length between a say 7'6 vs 10ft is where you'll notice the difference.
Some surf beaches can be quite shallow water even with gutters and that extra length helps to reach that deeper water.

You can use the classic metals, slightly bigger ones for the bigger salmon just make sure that it aligns with your rod weight range.
Plastics are also a great option, with a 1/4 jig head and a longer rod you can cast of plenty into gutters.

I've been using a 9'6ft, 4-6kg, 7-35g paired with a 2500 reel, 10lb braid, 30lb fluro the past few weeks chasing salmon from the beach and have enjoyed it. I started with the 21g metals but have found more success on 3-4" plastics, 1/4 - 1/2 jig heads. Like a 2/0/3.0 hook and letting it sink then working a fast retrieve.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:10 pm

You need a bigger reel if you fishing the surf beaches, mainly to keep your lure from bottoming out into the sand or kelp. The smaller reels just won't have enough line retrieve capacity to make that happen.

A 4000 high speed will be a great size for these purposes. 10 foot rod will be an ideal partner to the above mentioned reel.

Fishing the pier and the beaches are two different scenarios, you need two different outfits to get the most of each scenario.

A surf rod or 10 foot rod can still be used on a pier, but a 7 foot rod and 2500 reel is best suited to the pier or a boat kayak scenario.
Plenty of sales happening at the moment so make the most of those while you can

Cheers

Carlito
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Carlito » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:50 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:10 pm
You need a bigger reel if you fishing the surf beaches, mainly to keep your lure from bottoming out into the sand or kelp. The smaller reels just won't have enough line retrieve capacity to make that happen.

A 4000 high speed will be a great size for these purposes. 10 foot rod will be an ideal partner to the above mentioned reel.

Fishing the pier and the beaches are two different scenarios, you need two different outfits to get the most of each scenario.

A surf rod or 10 foot rod can still be used on a pier, but a 7 foot rod and 2500 reel is best suited to the pier or a boat kayak scenario.
Plenty of sales happening at the moment so make the most of those while you can

Cheers
Pretty much what he said, for spinning in surf, I'd go the following
4000 size reel, 9' rod, 20lb braid, 20lb leader.
Bright shiny lure, inline single hook.
It is not complicated fishing.

Return to “Fishing techniques”