Daiwa Beefstick Z vs UglyStik Gold II

Sneaky1
Has liked: 71 times

Daiwa Beefstick Z vs UglyStik Gold II

Post by Sneaky1 » Fri May 06, 2022 5:55 pm

Hoping for opinions - weighing up between these two, med-light in both for winter pier.
Both 802's priced ~$100, both Fuji hardware, both composites.
My local BCF doesn't have the 802 Ugly, but I do have an Ugly 561M (my yak rod) to go by.
Preferences / experiences?

luka
Has liked: 5 times

Re: Daiwa Beefstick Z vs UglyStik Gold II

Post by luka » Sat May 07, 2022 12:33 am

Compleat angler had a daiwa beefstick I felt in hand that was pretty nice.. I have a similar rod (okuma lunaris 2-4kg) that buckles on almost every fish, lots of fun :)

Sneaky1

Post by Sneaky1 » Sat May 07, 2022 9:41 am

Or perhaps invest in winter yak clothing to keep yakking instead - thinking pier fishing would be a substantial downgrade haha

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Sat May 07, 2022 10:32 am

Sneaky1 wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 9:41 am
Or perhaps invest in winter yak clothing to keep yakking instead - thinking pier fishing would be a substantial downgrade haha
Has it's own place.
I'd go yak fishing when the weather is nice and the water is flat, where normally be a lot of people fishing on piers etc.
And fish the piers when the weather is a little rough, less people fishing off piers etc, and unsafe for yak fishing.

Can't comment on the rods, never owned/used them.
Trust gut feeling I guess, whichever that you think you'll like and won't regret (or regret less), lol.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Sneaky1

Post by Sneaky1 » Sat May 07, 2022 12:10 pm

[/quote]
I'd go yak fishing when the weather is nice and the water is flat, where normally be a lot of people fishing on piers etc.
And fish the piers when the weather is a little rough, less people fishing off piers etc, and unsafe for yak fishing.
[/quote]

Exactly my logic behind the winter pier idea - with rods to suit, the yak might have to wait a few months.

Leonard
Has liked: 53 times

Post by Leonard » Wed May 11, 2022 12:01 am

Hi Sneaky1,

As someone without a yak, i would also rather be on one haha! But, I can see how pier fishing would be a more reliable option pier wise.

I recently got an 802 Beefstick Z and absolutely loved it. Balanced perfectly with a 4000 thunnus. I had to leave it in brisbane where I bought it, and I still miss it. Can't comment on the ugly stick option, but you would do well with the beefstick.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Thu May 12, 2022 7:25 am

Winter clothing for the yak would be my option. But then I tend to kayak fish all year round. There are still plenty of good days on the water through the cooler months if you can stay warm strangely enough my clothing isn’t much different summer to winter about the only difference is a good spray jacket to keep my upper layers dry I tend to run kayak dry pants and thermals on my legs all year round as I sit in and have my feet in water. My stealth fishing ski is not a dry platform.
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Sneaky1

Post by Sneaky1 » Thu May 12, 2022 5:30 pm

cheaterparts wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 7:25 am
Winter clothing for the yak would be my option. But then I tend to kayak fish all year round. There are still plenty of good days on the water through the cooler months if you can stay warm strangely enough my clothing isn’t much different summer to winter about the only difference is a good spray jacket to keep my upper layers dry I tend to run kayak dry pants and thermals on my legs all year round as I sit in and have my feet in water. My stealth fishing ski is not a dry platform.
Might have another look at waders, I've started yak fishing twelve years ago and still debating waders vs. wetsuit bottoms + neoprene socks + crocks.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Fri May 13, 2022 8:11 am

Sneaky1 wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 5:30 pm

Might have another look at waders, I've started yak fishing twelve years ago and still debating waders vs. wetsuit bottoms + neoprene socks + crocks.
Ok something to think about with waders. I over the years have used wet suit and waders both need a fly zip on a kayak so you can take a pee. This isn’t a problem on the wed suit and infact I used a long John suit wetsuit with a fly zip used for sailing Now the waders unless you have a waterproof zip fitted you will still get wet I know this as my first set I would have wet jocks every trip. I tried a set of early Lovigs and they leaked. I believe they are much better now. So these days I use a set of neoprene waste waders with a sealing section around the top just like any other kayak dry pants They stay pretty dry inside even in the water. ( yes I have road tested that ) these however weren’t cheap being custom built for me So think about the logistics of taking a pee and keeping the water out if you go swimming ( the unplanned dip )

Hope that helps
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Sneaky1

Post by Sneaky1 » Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:51 pm

Leonard wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 12:01 am
Hi Sneaky1,

As someone without a yak, i would also rather be on one haha! But, I can see how pier fishing would be a more reliable option pier wise.

I recently got an 802 Beefstick Z and absolutely loved it. Balanced perfectly with a 4000 thunnus. I had to leave it in brisbane where I bought it, and I still miss it. Can't comment on the ugly stick option, but you would do well with the beefstick.
A season later :sr:

Got myself the 702 Beefstick Z - was hoping for the longer version but the 802 was an overkill for my Fin-Nor Lethal 40 (largest reel I own).
Looks the goods, love the "tripod" guides, finish is on par with the UglyStik.

So, the 702 Beefstick 4-8kg and Exceler 702 2-6kg are now my two-part rods for winter attempts :wt:

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”