Post by denis barden » Wed May 04, 2022 1:13 pm

Kool Katch

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Re: KGW Gippsland Lakes

Post by yepi'mon » Sun May 08, 2022 7:03 pm

Pirkz wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 1:00 pm
Well sharing is caring.....and on that note.....Fished Mon & Tue 11-3pm ish. Monday launched in Paynesville south of Raymond Island and fished a few spots in Wollaston Bay en route to the anticipated catch zone abeam the northern end of the Island. Nothing doing despite multiple moves in various depths 1.4 - 2m. Eventually fished an old marker point at the northern end of the Bay in 1.9 and after a slow start ended up with 11 keepers 35-40 cm. Bite improved when I switched from a running trace and size 4 circle hook rig to a 3 hook sabiki paternoster rig baited with 1-2 cm pieces of squid. Lost a couple of bigger fish as the gape of the rather small hooks pulled open a couple of times as I tried to bully the fish in - lesson learnt. 7 given away and 4 kept. And with so little fish in the fridge and another balmy day forecast, Tuesday afloat (again) was a forgone conclusion. Headed over to Shaving Point for a change of scenery, and despite moving to half a dozen of the previous hotspots, couldn't lose a bait. Decided to give a random spot just past the red markers opposite the northern end of Raymond Island on the Metung side, a quick fish en route back to Mondays productive mark. Chose an area in 2m showing some weed and after a bit of a wait was more than pleased (ecstatic actually) to get a small toady like tap tap on the multi hook sabiki rig which turned out to be not one but two KGW - 38 & 32 -the smaller one of which was released. Over the following 40 mins only managed one more @ 38. Always nice to catch in a new area, especially after a slow start. But 1 hr in and with no improvement in the bite rate i.e. no activity whatsoever, one last move was required to finish the day with 7 KGW 36-40 CM - with most being caught on the sabiki rig tactic using small baits. 3 kept 4 donated - Should be afloat today as I type this up as it will no doubt be the last of this glorious autumnal weather for a while (probably next autumn!). Thought Id include a screen shot showing the marks mentioned in the previous posts as well as this one.
Tight Lines
Pirkz
Those marks is the area I gave a crack for no luck… but good to know instincts were right… just timing off.

I found the weed beds much different to western port bay. Very thick and in much shallower water. Hard to find sand patches to fish.

Pirkz
Has liked: 222 times

Post by Pirkz » Mon May 09, 2022 11:15 am

Shame that but yep, water is cooling and it'll be a game of Where's Wally The Whiting from now on after reading last years reports from page 4 onwards.
Tight Lines
Pirkz

Elmer Stratty
Has liked: 56 times

Post by Elmer Stratty » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:27 pm

After a false start with the boat today….air lock in fuel line…thankfully still on the trailer and not 2kms from the ramp….we checked Nungurner and Nyerimilang. Not much happening at Nungurner. A few good fish on the sounder that we couldn’t entice. At Nyerimilang we used berley for one salmon…pretty quiet indeed. At least we gave the boat a good on water work out ready for and off shore adventure.

Pirkz

Re: KGW Gippsland Lakes- Nungurner for Nowt.

Post by Pirkz » Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:33 pm

Back from a very pleasant European summer - albeit temporarily as off again next week, and finding these 5 degree mornings a bit on the cool side - for shorts anyway. Have been scouring the reports for a vicarious fish after a long absence with a rod in my hand - but to no avail. So today I bit the bullet and took one for the team. Motored over to Nungurner for a couple of hours and my expectation was met i.e very little biting. Just a solitary flatty who looked as cold as I felt . 2hrs in gave up and then fished for an hour around a couple of the summer 'go to' spots around Shaving point ( which perhaps should be renamed - No Point - during the winter months) before heading home across a flat calm lake. One other tinny out n about - both occupants had had a donut day.
Thats it then until mid Aug for me, but I look forward to see whats been caught offshore around these parts. Roll on Victoria' s summer and the advent of the next KGW season.
Tight Lines
Pirkz

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:47 pm

Yeah I gave the barrier a go last week for donuts. Will give offshore a go if we ever get a calm day.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Bombers93
Has liked: 34 times

Post by Bombers93 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:25 am

New member here and first post . Look forward to sharing and gathering info with you all . Got a on site van and a little runabout at Eagle point and now semi retired so looking forward to many trips .I love this beautiful waterway and hopefully can snag a few of these delicious little rockets . Cheers all 🍻

Pirkz

Post by Pirkz » Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:09 pm

Bombers93 welcome to what is a very informative forum especially where Gippsland lakes KGW are concerned. Fish for T ? Definitely ! - though not just yet - unless you get offshore where the gummies are on the chew at the moment according to the 3 guys filleting 6 of em at the Fort King boat ramp this morning.
Tight Lines
Pirkz

Pirkz

Re: KGW Gippsland Lakes -First of the season

Post by Pirkz » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:56 am

Wasn't planning to fish yesterday so took Jimmy Dog (and Mrs P) to Nyermilang and ended up on the jetty there (95 steps down!). Surprised a fellow fisho (Lakes based) collecting bait and a quick chat revealed that he had had a bag of KGW the day before (28-32cm) on the bank in 2m lined up with the red marker post and the southerly cardinal marker. Looking across I could see the Lakes charter boat and a couple of others in that vicinity, so visit to Lakes was cut short and back to Paynesville it was. About 2 hrs later (3pm) I was anchored up amongst a few others back on the Bank expectantly looking forward to the first KGW of the season. But as always the 'You should have been here yesterday' mantra rang true, and after a couple of moves over the few hrs before dark o clock, all I had for my considerable efforts were half a dozen small Bay trout/ Salmon, a lone undersize trevally and yep .....a 25cm KGW. So in that regard, it was mission accomplished. Used prawn and mussel - both caught the odd fish. Next time out will stop in the Shaving point area and see if any KGW have migrated up through the system. Watch this space.
Tight Lines
Pirkz

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:14 pm

I had a good look around last week for donuts. I think another week or two will see them showing up.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”