Sea Worm ID

Caught a fish and you don't know what it is? Ask here...
Laze
Has liked: 18 times

Sea Worm ID

Post by Laze » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:22 am

Hi all, anyone know what this is?
Saw it swimming topwater in docklands at night. Netted one as they don't appear to have any eyes (no reaction to disturbances from my lure or torchlight. Looks like a big polychaete. Rather big worm swimming topwater. :oo: Released it back into the water.
Attachments
Screenshot_20211030_015212_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
Rock hopper, sand dragger, mud slinger.

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 797 times

Re: Sea Worm ID

Post by Seniorfisho » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:51 pm

Not sure what it is, but I don't like the look of it and I don't trust it, lol

Tim399
Has liked: 251 times

Post by Tim399 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:42 pm

Alitta Virens is the closest I can come up with?

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:13 pm

Look like tube worm.

Great bream bait.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:45 pm

I found something similar in one of the whiting I cleaned yesterday
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Charles7
Has liked: 98 times

Post by Charles7 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:14 am

I saw something swimming topwater as well late on Friday night at North Wharf. It was big enough that I thought it was an eel but it didn't react one bit when I dropped my bait right in front of its nose. Even when I gave it a nudge with my rod tip it just kept on swimming about as it had before. I wonder if this is what I saw.

Laze

Post by Laze » Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:26 am

Charles7 wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:14 am
I saw something swimming topwater as well late on Friday night at North Wharf. It was big enough that I thought it was an eel but it didn't react one bit when I dropped my bait right in front of its nose. Even when I gave it a nudge with my rod tip it just kept on swimming about as it had before. I wonder if this is what I saw.
You must have been around during, before or after, it was in the same area and I thought the same thing and then netted it. Pretty gross creature though, not my proudest catch :rf:

Charles7
Has liked: 98 times

Post by Charles7 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:13 am

Laze wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:26 am
Charles7 wrote:
You must have been around during, before or after, it was in the same area and I thought the same thing and then netted it. Pretty gross creature though, not my proudest catch :rf:
How big was it? I would've guessed about 40-50cm, but I was a little drunk at the time so maybe that's an overestimation. Definitely seemed big enough to catch on hook and line though.

Laze

Post by Laze » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:36 am

Charles7 wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:13 am
Laze wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:26 am
Charles7 wrote:
How big was it? I would've guessed about 40-50cm, but I was a little drunk at the time so maybe that's an overestimation. Definitely seemed big enough to catch on hook and line though.
I would have thought 40cm but I think that was my imagination, probably more likely 20cm. Fairly certain it is a pile worm (Alitta succinea) from some research online which is invasive to Aus. Common around ports due to cargo shipping, apparently good bait too not that I'd touch it. Swims in the open when looking to reproduce.

Return to “Fish ID”