Fishing Maribyrnong river at Brinkbank Park.

The Fishing Victoria Forum is Australia's leading online fishing forum with comprehensive resources for Victorian fishermen, anglers and fishos. Check out the latest fishing & tackle news, tips, fishing reports and detailed fish information.
Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Re: Fishing Maribyrnong river at Brinkbank Park.

Post by Sebb » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:13 pm

benadams26 wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:03 pm
canned_tuna wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:59 pm
When I say outside of Brimbank I mean areas like Arundel Rd and also under the calder Hwy. And also near the Quarter mile bridge ( Dont know if this still exists!)
Yep, no good. Headed out to Arundel road today. Found a nice little spot and went 3 hours without a bite. Beautiful day but, cant complain.
What time did you fish?
Fish sunrise/sunset, often it makes a diff.
And don't forget to burley burley and burley.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

benadams26

Post by benadams26 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:27 pm

Sebb wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:13 pm
benadams26 wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:03 pm
canned_tuna wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:59 pm
When I say outside of Brimbank I mean areas like Arundel Rd and also under the calder Hwy. And also near the Quarter mile bridge ( Dont know if this still exists!)
Yep, no good. Headed out to Arundel road today. Found a nice little spot and went 3 hours without a bite. Beautiful day but, cant complain.
What time did you fish?
Fish sunrise/sunset, often it makes a diff.
And don't forget to burley burley and burley.
yeh was there 3:30-6:30ish. Would've stayed a bit later but the rain hit.

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:49 am

Unlucky.
They're more active when the weather is warmer.

canned_tuna
Has liked: 15 times

Post by canned_tuna » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:16 am

Thats a shame, if youve found a nice little spot to fish at then persist with it. As Sebb said the more it warms up the more active the carp will become. Try different baits as well. Over the years I have used everything such as maggots, worms, corn, bread, dough, snails and mealworms. Unfortunately its not like the Murray river where the carp commit suicide to take your bait. Its a berley and waiting game at times. I used to fish two different rigs, the first was a float fishing with a waggler float for as little resistance as possible and the second was a running sinker rig with a berley cage filled with bread crumbs as the sinker.

benadams26

Post by benadams26 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:25 pm

canned_tuna wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:16 am
Thats a shame, if youve found a nice little spot to fish at then persist with it. As Sebb said the more it warms up the more active the carp will become. Try different baits as well. Over the years I have used everything such as maggots, worms, corn, bread, dough, snails and mealworms. Unfortunately its not like the Murray river where the carp commit suicide to take your bait. Its a berley and waiting game at times. I used to fish two different rigs, the first was a float fishing with a waggler float for as little resistance as possible and the second was a running sinker rig with a berley cage filled with bread crumbs as the sinker.
The murray is really like that? Cause to be honest as I am sort of newer I just want to get out and find a place where I can catch fish with a bit more ease. I want to practice timing the strike right and fighting the fish, and I also don't mind what I catch, cause I release anyway (excluding carp). SO if either of you have good recommendations on the west side of Melbounre for any other good places, I would appreciate it.

canned_tuna
Has liked: 15 times

Post by canned_tuna » Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:14 pm

Carp fishing in any of the man made lakes around the newer housing estates is usually the way to go . I also used to catch alot of carp in Kororoit Ck near where Kororoit crk Rd goes over it in Altona

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Post by sloth » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:52 pm

Depends on your 10km limits but if you just want to catch a fish then the ‘nong or Williamstown piers will work if you fish a running rig with a Berley/feeder cage as a sinker as CT suggested , 30cm or so of 4lb line to a #12 or #14 hook with a little bit of raw chicken on it. Will catch you pretty much everything from mullet up. Don’t take this the wrong way but it’s what I do with my kids as it pretty much guarantees they get to catch something … we do get a lot of small fish but it’s also accounted for bream up to 38cm … it will definitely give you quantity over quality though.

I’d recommend checking out Wayne O’Keefes YouTube channel “How to Fish” he uses that technique and has heaps of vids of him doing it in the Yarra and nong. I use a maggot feeder whereas he uses cage/open feeders but the principal is the same. 50/50 woolies wheat bran and breadcrumbs and then whatever you fancy - garlic powder, curry powder, dash of tuna oil …. Add a bit of water to make it fluffy (not too wet) … pack it in firm at the bottom quarter and then looser on top and then just chuck it in and wait. It’s pretty simple fishing but it’s fun and you never know - you can catch surprisingly big fish on small hooks - word of warning though - just keep close to your rod and strike early - there is a risk you’ll gut hook fish if you let them play with it too long.
2522D45D-8B8A-429B-9236-2B2C7FDAB424.jpeg

Good luck !

Charles7
Has liked: 98 times

Post by Charles7 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:27 pm

The nong down at Canning Reserve in Avondale Heights is great for bream fishing, most fish are undersized but there's a few keepers among them. If this falls within your 15km radius I'd suggest giving that a go, prawns or pilchard for bait.

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:34 pm

benadams26 wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:25 pm

The murray is really like that? Cause to be honest as I am sort of newer I just want to get out and find a place where I can catch fish with a bit more ease. I want to practice timing the strike right and fighting the fish, and I also don't mind what I catch, cause I release anyway (excluding carp). SO if either of you have good recommendations on the west side of Melbounre for any other good places, I would appreciate it.
Carp fishing can be hit and miss.
Some days in summer can be very easy, some days are very hard. Getting a lot of nibbles but no hookups can also happen.

I have better catching rate doing beam fishing with bait than carp.
Fish the Nong furhet downstream, yarra, or Docklands. Depends how far can you go.
A lot of bream from Highpoint downstream all the way to warmies.
Peeled raw prawn, running sinker rig, #2 hook, thinnest line possible especially if the water is clear (you get more bites with thinner line but it'll break easier than thicker line).
And burley burley burley. Sloth's burley recipe.
Or just breadcrumbs, a bit of tuna oil and some water, will do too.

Before this lockdown stuff, I fished Nong, yarra and dock a lot.

benadams26

Post by benadams26 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:33 pm

sloth wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:52 pm
Depends on your 10km limits but if you just want to catch a fish then the ‘nong or Williamstown piers will work if you fish a running rig with a Berley/feeder cage as a sinker as CT suggested , 30cm or so of 4lb line to a #12 or #14 hook with a little bit of raw chicken on it. Will catch you pretty much everything from mullet up. Don’t take this the wrong way but it’s what I do with my kids as it pretty much guarantees they get to catch something … we do get a lot of small fish but it’s also accounted for bream up to 38cm … it will definitely give you quantity over quality though.

I’d recommend checking out Wayne O’Keefes YouTube channel “How to Fish” he uses that technique and has heaps of vids of him doing it in the Yarra and nong. I use a maggot feeder whereas he uses cage/open feeders but the principal is the same. 50/50 woolies wheat bran and breadcrumbs and then whatever you fancy - garlic powder, curry powder, dash of tuna oil …. Add a bit of water to make it fluffy (not too wet) … pack it in firm at the bottom quarter and then looser on top and then just chuck it in and wait. It’s pretty simple fishing but it’s fun and you never know - you can catch surprisingly big fish on small hooks - word of warning though - just keep close to your rod and strike early - there is a risk you’ll gut hook fish if you let them play with it too long.

2522D45D-8B8A-429B-9236-2B2C7FDAB424.jpeg

Didn't take it the wrong way at all! That was basically what I was asking for anyway! I just want to get out this summer and find a place where I can consistently catch fish regardless of how big ! Thank you.

Good luck !

Return to “Welcome to Fishing Victoria”