Melton Reservoir

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
Seniorfisho
Has liked: 797 times

Melton Reservoir

Post by Seniorfisho » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:05 pm

I fished Melton Reservoir which has been stocked with Cod, Yellas, EP's and Silver perch. I managed to get a few EP's which were nudging the 40cm mark and a Silver perch which was bigger then the EP's. I have fished it two times this week, the fist time i was distracted by a school of 20cm redfin smashing minnows all along the weeds so I couldn't help throwing a plastic at them which they took with gusto, after about 30 little reddies i tried for some better fish without luck. I then went back in the afternoon to try some different things and ended up having great fun on some really solid fish on 4lb braid and 6lb leader

silva1.jpg
silva1.jpg[/attachment [attachment=0]silva3.jpg
Attachments
silva3.jpg
silva2.jpg

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Re: Melton Reservoir

Post by happyfriggincamper » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:42 pm

Sounds like you are killing it Seniorfisho! I was looking at the stocking database, only has silvers listed as starting in 2020 (avg 0.9g) so I'm guessing that was from a stocking long long ago or a personally managed one?

Are kayaks allowed there? Can see there's a powerboat club but couldnt find anything about kayaking it.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:54 pm

Great stuff Senior EPs are the best
Last edited by rb85 on Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

Seniorfisho

Post by Seniorfisho » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:10 pm

happyfriggincamper wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:42 pm
Sounds like you are killing it Seniorfisho! I was looking at the stocking database, only has silvers listed as starting in 2020 (avg 0.9g) so I'm guessing that was from a stocking long long ago or a personally managed one?

Are kayaks allowed there? Can see there's a powerboat club but couldnt find anything about kayaking it.
You can launch a kayak very easily but not from the main entrance. If you go down the bottom of Clarkes rd in Melton there is a track that takes you right by the lake. I intend on kayak fishing it next time as you can park the car right next to the water and launch. A kayak would give you much better access to better fishing.

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:11 am

Some big fat fish there!
Last time I went there (don't know which part), near an old bridge, was like a place where people dump rubbish illegally or stolen car. That was probably 4-5 years ago.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:15 am

Some nice fish there.
Good size too!
Cheers 👍🏻

Seniorfisho

Post by Seniorfisho » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:05 am

Sebb wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:11 am
Some big fat fish there!
Last time I went there (don't know which part), near an old bridge, was like a place where people dump rubbish illegally or stolen car. That was probably 4-5 years ago.
They still dump rubbish there, it's disgraceful, it's not quite as bad now because there are more people fishing down there now and the Council keep a bit of an eye on it. Melton is an amazing fishery with EP's well over 40cm and some really big Silver perch which are in good numbers, not sure how they got there. However, access to the lake is terrible unless you go down to where the rubbish is, hopefully they will somehow open it to the public from the main entrance because it is going to be an outstanding fishery

moistieoystie

Post by moistieoystie » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:03 pm

I've been looking at heading down there, seems Clarks Rd entrance has been blocked by new housing developments. Any other way to access the res via car then hiking to flick lures?

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:50 pm

Clark's Rd is still ok near the gun club. Don't go too far out in the lake in your kayak the the speedboat club have sole use of exford weir and are very protective of it. The council will not give anybody else access don't know why they built all those house on exford road showing people playing in the lake you are not allowed. The speedboat club will call the cops on you if you get in the way of skiers.

Seniorfisho

Post by Seniorfisho » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:19 pm

Nude up wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:50 pm
Clark's Rd is still ok near the gun club. Don't go too far out in the lake in your kayak the the speedboat club have sole use of exford weir and are very protective of it. The council will not give anybody else access don't know why they built all those house on exford road showing people playing in the lake you are not allowed. The speedboat club will call the cops on you if you get in the way of skiers.
The speed boats don't go north of the rail bridge. Up until they closed the road there were many kayaks on the lake without any real problems. Have they opened the access from Clarkes rd again?

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”