salmon in the surf

Post your Victorian beach and surf fishing adventures here
Matthew drako
Has liked: 28 times

salmon in the surf

Post by Matthew drako » Sun May 02, 2021 9:39 pm

With the cooler weather starting to settle in, it's almost time to start hitting the surf beaches again. probably my favourite form of fishing. Have been noticing an array of salmon in port phillip bay recently(last 3 trips been a bust up to some extent) so was wondering whether the salmon have entered the gutters around some of the surf beaches. trying to decide which direction to go(west or east) between jan juc and gunamatta at the moment so was wondering if anyone had done any good there. regardless, will be heading out next week with thursday looking like the best day for it.tough decision deciding between the 2, would love to get down the 90 mile where this time 2 years ago (would've loved to go last year but covid🥲) we got well over 60 salmon 1-3kg in 3 proper days fishing. can't get down there now but planning to in the next month or 2. thanks anyway for the help. also wouldn't mind a few mullet if they're around as well. amazing eating off the surf beaches.

Sebb
Has liked: 2999 times

Re: salmon in the surf

Post by Sebb » Mon May 03, 2021 5:06 am

No idea, but I'm going to try Jan Juc on the weekend.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon May 03, 2021 9:44 am

Yea those winter mullets off the surf aren’t bad eating at all 👍🏻

Matthew drako

Post by Matthew drako » Mon May 03, 2021 10:03 am

Sebb wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 5:06 am
No idea, but I'm going to try Jan Juc on the weekend.
thanks sebb, ill make sure to update how I go. at this stage leaning toward jan juc but time will tell

Matthew drako

Post by Matthew drako » Mon May 03, 2021 3:14 pm

I reckon ill hit gunnamatta actually on first light friday, a light easterly, fish the last hour of the run in then fish a few hours of the runout and see what happens drowning some bait for the first few hours then probably pack the car then tie a metal on and spin for an hour or so.

bilby

Post by bilby » Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:11 pm

I've just been down at Wilsons Prom for a few days - I picked up a 52cm and 40cm salmon and a 40cm flathead landbased towards the entrance at Shallow Inlet. Not a lot else going on as far as the local beaches go, as far as I could tell. I tried Squeaky Beach and Picnic Bay - beautiful, but only a couple of very small salmon.

Billc

Post by Billc » Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:30 pm

Hi all,
for what its worth, Kilarney just west of Warnambool (east of Pt Fairy). Plenty good size salmon within reach of the beach.
I used a 9ft rod, flicking soft plastics and metal lures. All resulted in 60-70cm 2.5-3kg fish. Damm good fun on light gear. Catch and release.
Early morning swimmers told me they had to swim through the schools!

Im actually from West Gippsland so if anyone knows of where there biting that way, I'd be grateful.

Return to “Surf Fishing”