Flinders Pier Demolition

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
ango

Flinders Pier Demolition

Post by ango » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:17 am

I was very saddened to see in this mornings paper that after years of neglect, Parks Victoria is set to demolish a large part of the Flinders pier. I had some memorable days on that pier in years gone by. Hopefully the planned demolition will be scrapped in the face of public opposition to the plans.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Re: Flinders Pier Demolition

Post by Kimtown » Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:02 pm

ango wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:17 am
I was very saddened to see in this mornings paper that after years of neglect, Parks Victoria is set to demolish a large part of the Flinders pier. I had some memorable days on that pier in years gone by. Hopefully the planned demolition will be scrapped in the face of public opposition to the plans.
Really? Why?

I went there a while back and it seemed fine?

magpie_mick
Has liked: 21 times

Post by magpie_mick » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:29 pm

Parks Vic has let part of the old wooden structure deteriorate and now claim the only solution is to remove it. A stitch in time may have made this not necessary.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:52 pm

It's happened for years they let the piers get in such disrepair that is not feasible / cost effective to repair when they finally decide to do some thing about it. the days of land based pier fishing are numbered, what new piers have been built ? what piers have been lengthened or widened ? where are all these target 1 million anglers going to fish ? All that's left is to buy yourself a boat.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

magpie_mick
Has liked: 21 times

Post by magpie_mick » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:57 pm

Save the historic Flinders Pier Petition

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:28 pm

hornet wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:52 pm
It's happened for years they let the piers get in such disrepair that is not feasible / cost effective to repair when they finally decide to do some thing about it. the days of land based pier fishing are numbered, what new piers have been built ? what piers have been lengthened or widened ? where are all these target 1 million anglers going to fish ? All that's left is to buy yourself a boat.
Buy a surf rod, or just hack DougieK’s ankle tracker bracelet and find all his rock ledges.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:05 pm

hornet wrote:
Parks Vic are as inept as they come. Only ones within them that have more than one brain cell are those on the ground and they're hamstrung by the brain dead in the offices. Wouldn't surprise me if they cut a 1m section out and put a fence up blocking the pier then leave it another 12 months in the hope it collapses like they're notorious for doing....

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:57 pm

4liters wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:28 pm
hornet wrote:
Buy a surf rod, or just hack DougieK’s ankle tracker bracelet and find all his rock ledges.
Long hikes, absailing, I think I'll pass

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:41 pm

Texas wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:57 pm
4liters wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:28 pm
hornet wrote:
Long hikes, absailing, I think I'll pass
Did you conveniently forget hours and hours of flinging lures into the drink for donuts?? :-D

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:32 pm

Texas wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:57 pm

absailing,

Harnesses are for pussies. Freeclimb is the way.

Is maintaining a pier a parks vic responsibility? I thought bay piers were maintained by the council, or is that only in port phillip?

Also, the newer concrete section is fine, are they only demolishing the wooden section at the start? They did a heap of work out on the platforms on the end a few years back.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”