St Leonard's Calamari 4/06/2020

Portarlington, St Leonards, Queenscliff
Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

St Leonard's Calamari 4/06/2020

Post by Andrews » Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:26 pm

Hope we all are keeping well and safe during these challenging times.
Last post I mentioned that I was moving to Docklands to start a new role in Justice & Correction with a project which would have me traveling from Portland to Mallacoota, but lockdown has happened. This means I'm back on the Bellarine.

First sessions since being home, and it was a whopper. Managed 9 squid in 2 hours.

Friday 04/06/2021 - Clear Skies, Light cloud on a rising clean tide with a medium to light S wind.

These clear skies and dropping light had me jump towards a darker silhouette jig, in my case the Yamashita Sutte-r in RW. My reasoning behind this colour choice is that in conditions of low light such as rising/setting sun and overcast days, the filtering of light creates strong contrast. Think about when we see a plane fly overhead, often we see the silhouette of it against the bright sky - this is the exact same for a squid sitting on the bottom looking upwards, the movement catches their attention.

I first started casting over the close weed beds and within three casts we were onto a smaller squid. I unhooked him and then cast back out, only to snag another, then another until I had caught five. Often when you start catching a few in a row they get a little timid and spook, so I gave the spot 15 minutes. After 15 minutes I casted straight onto a squid, this one being slightly bigger ~20CM. This kept going until I hit eight.
IMG_9962.jpg
I couldn't not snap a photo of the Emeraldas looking a dream.
IMG_9954.jpg
The light began to drop and it's often on dusk when the large squid come out, but tonight seemed quiet. As the lights came on everyone started casting directly into the light - which I think is the wrong way of approaching it. Squid have great eye-sight and I reckon, 9/10 they'll sit in the edge of the dark waiting for a fish to swim by. So, unlike everyone else I cast deep into the dark, and then darted the jig fast towards the light, before stopping on that edge! Within two casts, we were onto the biggest squid of the night, a chunky 35CM hood! What a great way to end a quick session! I'm not sure why YouTube isn't letting this update to 4k, anyone tech savvy haha?

https://youtu.be/8C3xrquMlMc
Keen to get out tomorrow to chase a few calamari! yeeew!
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

Sebb
Has liked: 3009 times

Re: St Leonard's Calamari 4/06/2020

Post by Sebb » Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:26 pm

Lucky you went back to regional just right for the ease there.

Cracking squid session as always. Is the kingfish still there? Lol.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Robbie1950
Has liked: 213 times

Post by Robbie1950 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:43 am

Nice report mate.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:04 am

That’s a top session mate.
Well done.
Cheers 👍🏻

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Post by Andrews » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:42 am

I couldn't agree more - the timing was close to perfect. Yeah can't say I saw it, it was a relatively quiet evening/night. The smaller squid are sitting close to the pier and are easy enough to pick off, kinda hoped to see more larger sized models but that's the season. They're just really starting, and until the large squid come from the heads, past queenscliffe to us it may be a month longer. I think too the seasons are a little behind seeing as we missed a warm delayed summer. (Eel spawns are a month late too).

Cheers Robbie and Lightningx, always enjoy chasing these creatures!
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

Return to “Portarlington to Queenscliff”