Moving to Docklands - Looking for Advice

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Re: Moving to Docklands - Looking for Advice

Post by Andrews » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:55 pm

@Sebb, again massive thank you for the advice. I had a chat to a mate who's sponsored by Daiwa and mainly fishes pinkies/bream in the CBD kayaking and he also recommended the TD ZERO from experience, but more importantly because it is that little bit bulkier for those bigger model fish. I also gave Daiwa a call to talk about reel options (knowing the newer 2021 reel models have either just, or will be soon releasing) and yeah, the TD ZERO 732LS in that 2-5kg range would be a perfect rod. Person I spoke to had the exact same rod model and loves it for anything from flatties to bream.

I'm thinking I'll put a pre-order in for the new Daiwa Freams 21, which releases end of the month. My friend has the older model of reel and loves it, so I'm expecting good things for this combo pairing.

@Texas Yeah, it's defiantly a new experience going from paddocks to urban concrete jungle, haha. I'm kinda lucky on this play, so I'm actually moving up with my younger brother (2 years younger) who also works in Government (different department) and is moving up for work. The difference between a 1 bed/1 bath/1 car and the 2bed/2bath/1 car is under $100 a week, it's insane. We are only looking at places with a 1 car spot, seeing as we expect to use public transport 99% of the time, but the car is good for ikea runs, and those rare opportunities when we need one (aka work conferences).

@potatoeater, you're dead on about it becoming more affordable and docklands has always been known for having issues with empty apartment because people prefer the other side of Melbs too. For us, it's closer to home. The plan is to live in docklands, and them travel ~10mins each way into the CBD for work, which hands down beats the current 1 hour 30mins each way.. haha! The never apartments is where we are looking, something modern unfurnished and a decent view. Big thing to for us getting a 1 year lease was the furniture situation, for these apartment that are 'pre-furnished' they're often super cheap furniture, and would end up costing us $4.5-5k extra over a year. At that point it's worthwhile just buying decent furniture and owning it. After a year, then deciding to either move and work back Geelong way, or stay up CBD.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:09 pm

Andrews wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:55 pm
@Sebb, again massive thank you for the advice. I had a chat to a mate who's sponsored by Daiwa and mainly fishes pinkies/bream in the CBD kayaking and he also recommended the TD ZERO from experience, but more importantly because it is that little bit bulkier for those bigger model fish. I also gave Daiwa a call to talk about reel options (knowing the newer 2021 reel models have either just, or will be soon releasing) and yeah, the TD ZERO 732LS in that 2-5kg range would be a perfect rod. Person I spoke to had the exact same rod model and loves it for anything from flatties to bream.

I'm thinking I'll put a pre-order in for the new Daiwa Freams 21, which releases end of the month. My friend has the older model of reel and loves it, so I'm expecting good things for this combo pairing.
No worries.

I have all of the last three freams models, love them all. The freams21 specs sounds more for finesse. If you can, push up a little and get Caldia. Otherwise, freams is a good reel, be great to pair with TD Zero.

Purple5 here in fv knows his Daiwa. I'm also loving my Daiwa stuff.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:16 pm

Where have I seen people fishing ????? -----'
Harbor Esplanade btw Central pier and Bourke street (pillon city).
Sth end of Wattle ave (hard to park)
Docklands drv, past Barassi park
West end of Nth Wharf rd, have a look at the sailing ships being done up as well.
I'm not sure if Central pier is open to the public, was closed
Cheers Gra

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:33 pm

Texas wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:16 pm
Where have I seen people fishing ????? -----'
Harbor Esplanade btw Central pier and Bourke street (pillon city).
Sth end of Wattle ave (hard to park)
Docklands drv, past Barassi park
West end of Nth Wharf rd, have a look at the sailing ships being done up as well.
I'm not sure if Central pier is open to the public, was closed
Cheers Gra
Central pier has been closed for few months if not a year +. Was deemed unsafe.

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:51 pm

Places I fished and caught fish.
Except central pier, the rest are still pretty much accessible to landbased fishing.
IMG_20210409_184355.jpg
Mostly bream all year round, the occasional salmon and trevally in cooler months, pinkie and flatty in warmer months (especially when dry and no rain). Recently EP. Then mulloway if you're lucky.

Docklands has almost no water movement despite it's tidal. Yarra generally always dirty, but as long as it's not milo chocolate, it's fishable.
Yarra can have strong current during slack and run out tide. Run in tide makes it slow and easier to fish finesse.

Apart from the bream there, the other species are generally easy to fool.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:01 pm

Welcome to the Dark Side!!!
Before you know it, you will be twitching and pausing for bream instead of sight casting to squid. and if your lucky enough switch sponsors from Yamashita to Daiwa..

The Boys that fish the area regularly have chimed in already with some good tips.
for the outfits, id be looking at some sort of 1-3kg rod and a 2XXX sized reel, fish light for bream, so leave the 14lb and get used to 4lb..
BCF and Anaconda are clearing out the Older model TD blacks so have a look in there. the TD Hyper is also a good rod
shimano zodias is another great stick, but a bit more $$
Cheers

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:15 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:01 pm
Welcome to the Dark Side!!!
Before you know it, you will be twitching and pausing for bream instead of sight casting to squid. and if your lucky enough switch sponsors from Yamashita to Daiwa..

The Boys that fish the area regularly have chimed in already with some good tips.
for the outfits, id be looking at some sort of 1-3kg rod and a 2XXX sized reel, fish light for bream, so leave the 14lb and get used to 4lb..
BCF and Anaconda are clearing out the Older model TD blacks so have a look in there. the TD Hyper is also a good rod
shimano zodias is another great stick, but a bit more $$
Cheers
I'm loving my bream set infeet and gekkabijin 2000!

Sounds like he wants one gear for all rounder fishing up to bigger salmon and pinkies. Which a 2-4kg and 2500 reel be suitable. Infeet and luvias be a nice combo.

Andrews

Post by Andrews » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:42 am

@Sebb, yeah they're more towards that finesse, through the 2500 does have a deep spool. I was weighting up between the 21 Freams and 21 Caldia, speaking to Daiwa the Caldia has been delayed and is expected to be in-stores by late July, which is later than I'd like for all this. Either way, I think the Freams will keep me happy haha.

@Texas, Cheers! I appreciate this getting an insight to what spots I might have to scout when I get up there.

@Purple5ive, haha cheers! Yeah I'm really keen to be chasing these new species. I have a lighter 1-2kg rod 6lb, here at home, might eventually bring that up haha.
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Post by greggo » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:58 pm

Andrews wrote:
I had a chat to a mate who's sponsored by Daiwa and mainly fishes pinkies/bream in the CBD kayaking
Would that be D.B. by any chance?

Andrews

Post by Andrews » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:25 am

greggo wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:58 pm
Andrews wrote:
I had a chat to a mate who's sponsored by Daiwa and mainly fishes pinkies/bream in the CBD kayaking
Would that be D.B. by any chance?
I can't say I know who that is haha!

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”