Why can't I catch anything

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
Jonnomate

Why can't I catch anything

Post by Jonnomate » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:10 am

I've been trying to learn how to fish for the last couple of months but haven't had any luck. I've been fishing mostly at melton reservoir for Carp and redfin, I've tried corn, cheese, paddle tail minnow lures and fat tail grubs. I've tried to stay positive and say I learned something when I come home empty handed but the last few times I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong
Any help would be appreciated

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Re: Why can't I catch anything

Post by e.welch » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:15 am

The best thing to do is ask a local that’s catching stuff down their and look at their rig and do the same

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:33 am

2/0 Mustad baitholder hook, 8lb flurocarbon leader, no sinkers, fresh white bread for bait. Tear a strip of bread off a slice, press it into a dough and put the hook through it a couple of times like so:

2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

benders
Has liked: 169 times

Post by benders » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:40 am

Don’t forget chucking out a little bit of berley from time to time. Tiny bits of bread and/or corn.

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:01 am

Maybe try thinner line, smaller hook, smallest sinker you can get away with. No sinker if you could
Use nibble tip rod to detect bites. Fish sunrise/sunset. And just keep trying. Took me a while to get my first first too (years ago), and still get donut every now and then.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Jonnomate

Post by Jonnomate » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:53 am

Thanks for the tips, I'll give bread a go. Anyone got some tips on retrieving lures for redfin?

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Post by e.welch » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:01 pm

Jonnomate wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:53 am
Thanks for the tips, I'll give bread a go. Anyone got some tips on retrieving lures for redfin?
Nice and slow is how I caught my Redfin some people say they like fast retrieves though so it’s try and Fong what works

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 798 times

Post by Seniorfisho » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:10 pm

A lot depends on where you are fishing at Melton Res. If you want to use lures you need to go down to nice light rod and reel with some 6lb braid and leader, the same with soft plastics. Start with plastics, any paddle tails or grubs around the 3inch mark on a 1/16 jighead and start casting around the trees. First let the plastic hit the bottom and hop it back slowly along the bottom, if you get snagged a lot then don't let it hit the bottom, just retrieve the plastic really slowly back, if you still get snagged then retrieve the plastic back as soon as it hits the water so it is just a few feet under the water and you should be right over the snags. That';s a good starting point for you. P.S, I've seen a lot of people catch carp on corn dipped in something, mainly on a paternoster rig and also under a running float at Melton

Jonnomate

Post by Jonnomate » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:24 pm

Seniorfisho wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:10 pm
A lot depends on where you are fishing at Melton Res. If you want to use lures you need to go down to nice light rod and reel with some 6lb braid and leader, the same with soft plastics. Start with plastics, any paddle tails or grubs around the 3inch mark on a 1/16 jighead and start casting around the trees. First let the plastic hit the bottom and hop it back slowly along the bottom, if you get snagged a lot then don't let it hit the bottom, just retrieve the plastic really slowly back, if you still get snagged then retrieve the plastic back as soon as it hits the water so it is just a few feet under the water and you should be right over the snags. That';s a good starting point for you. P.S, I've seen a lot of people catch carp on corn dipped in something, mainly on a paternoster rig and also under a running float at Melton
Thanks that's the kind of detail I needed I think

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:01 pm

Redfin is usually isn't too fussy. Do what seniorfisho said and cover a lot of ground by walking along the bank a lot.
They can be very mobile. So don't just keep casting the same spot. Walk and cast and walk and cast. It'll better your chance to come across them.
Also, they're usually in school. So if you do get one, stay in the same spot for a while, good chance you'll catch its mates.
Good luck!
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”