Pental Island cod

slotzz

Pental Island cod

Post by slotzz » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:10 pm

Headed up to Swan Hill to visit my sister & her boyf just after xmas and they took us out in the boat for the day.
I was the silly goose that grabbed the wrong rod when we left home so fished all day with a handreel & spent more time grabbing drinks from the esky & regretting not putting sunscreen on earlier :oo:
The others caught cod all morning ranging in size with max about 57-60cm. Surprised in the colour difference between these light (more yellow) cod vs the ones I've seen out of the Goulburn which are much darker. Any ideas why? Water temps or quality? Climate?

I finally landed one later in the day. He still had my 1st hook in his lip that he busted off 5 minutes previously.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Re: Pental Island cod

Post by rb85 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:23 pm

slotzz wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:10 pm
Headed up to Swan Hill to visit my sister & her boyf just after xmas and they took us out in the boat for the day.
I was the silly goose that grabbed the wrong rod when we left home so fished all day with a handreel & spent more time grabbing drinks from the esky & regretting not putting sunscreen on earlier :oo:
The others caught cod all morning ranging in size with max about 57-60cm. Surprised in the colour difference between these light (more yellow) cod vs the ones I've seen out of the Goulburn which are much darker. Any ideas why? Water temps or quality? Climate?

I finally landed one later in the day. He still had my 1st hook in his lip that he busted off 5 minutes previously.
Sounds like a great family outing I presume you were using bait you Silly Goose
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

slotzz

Post by slotzz » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:46 pm

rb85 wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:23 pm
slotzz wrote:
I was the silly goose that grabbed the wrong rod when we left home so fished all day with a handreel..

Yeah just the old cheese on a hook, I was just glad to be out in the boat for once lol bit of a hassle getting our own boats sorted for a day-out
Attachments
Resized_rps20210103_192207.jpeg

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:48 pm

Nice trip away. I don't know about the color variation in cod, I'd assume it's conditional to their surrounds but from what I've seen they can be quite inconsistent in color tones fish to fish in the same water - definitely not as consistent as you may see in how trout are based on the system they are in.

Irishfisherman
Has liked: 237 times

Post by Irishfisherman » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:50 pm

Nice trip! My observations are that the clearer the water, the darker the cod. Don’t know really.

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 797 times

Post by Seniorfisho » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:24 pm

They seem to be that color from Swan Hill to Mildura, especially the smaller ones, not sure why

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:02 am

slotzz wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:46 pm
rb85 wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:23 pm
slotzz wrote:
I was the silly goose that grabbed the wrong rod when we left home so fished all day with a handreel..

Yeah just the old cheese on a hook, I was just glad to be out in the boat for once lol bit of a hassle getting our own boats sorted for a day-out
Bugger the fish, you're not the only one that's going to suffer

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:04 am

slotzz wrote:

Hey there @Lauren. Where have you been? Happy new year. You popped up like a mushroom after a thunderstorm. :-)
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:19 pm

slotzz wrote:

Hi Lauren, good to hear from you, a good day out by all counts, catch up soon, cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Return to “Northern Victoria Fishing Reports”