Cornacarpio's Cumulative Carp Culling Caper

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
Longbombs
Has liked: 19 times

Re: Cornacarpio's Cumulative Carp Culling Caper

Post by Longbombs » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:45 am

eddyt wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:02 pm
I don't know how you do it, so jealous! I tried gc yesterday for 2 hours using corn and garden worms for nothing, not even a nibble. Tried a few different spots near station st. Do you keep moving until you see fish or just sit in one spot and hope for the best?
It is a relatively tough creek and some areas can be dead, but weightless baits tend to work best. Try a few corn kernels or mould a ball of bread on a hook with no sinker.

Best area tends to be from Glen Iris towards the city - but that's where I've fished mostly. Fish for an hour in each spot and move if you've caught nothing.

In the smaller pools you will only ull a couple of fish, but the larger pools you can keep pulling fish from.

Pre-baiting spots a day or so before you fish with a can of corn can be good to get fish in the area and you tend to catch more this way.

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Post by eddyt » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:32 pm

Going to give it another crack this weekend if the weather is good. Pre baiting might be the go - if I don't catch anything on Saturday I'll just throw in the leftover bait and try again Sunday. I've caught them there before so I know they are there.

ubiquitous
Has liked: 2 times

Post by ubiquitous » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:57 pm

Hello all,

First time posting on this forum. The last few years I've mainly focussed on fly fishing, but have taken to fishing the creek/lake section around Glen Iris.

The first couple of attempts I managed to land a decent carp each session, but no luck today or yesterday. The lake area seemed clearer and more shallow than the previous visits.

Just wondering whether cooler conditions and rain usually turn the fish off, and what rigs/strategies others use. My standard rig has been running sinker, long shank hook with corn, beans or dough.

I've attached a photo of one of the specimens I caught during my second session.
Attachments
mmexport1601799639681.jpg

Cornacarpio
Has liked: 16 times

Post by Cornacarpio » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:05 pm

I've found the cooler weather slows the Carp down a bit - I love smashing them in hot weather. The humble running sinker accounts for 90% of my catches, 15% with a small bubble float (particularly in summer)and the rest is probably just experimentations...freelining, single hook, paternoster, etc

Cornacarpio

Post by Cornacarpio » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:39 pm

The high-octane 'summer' of Carp continues! 75cms of bottom-dwelling fury! A relatively long and skinny model that took the bait within 5 minutes of setting-up! Trying new spots has really paid off for me so far this season (all legitimately within 5km too). I lost an absolute horse of a fish while I was down there, it was probably 80 plus cms, but was just too big/heavy to maneuver with my relatively light telescopic set-up. It was absolutely tireless and eventually my knot gave up and I was left to rue 'the one that got away'...it's the second decent fish I've lost this week due to poor knot tying (and of course the wear and tear these big Carp do to my tackle). Feel like I need a bloody surf rod down there at the moment! Sometimes I think it would be nice to sit down and relax and catch some 'normal' sized fish :)

Speaking of knots, does anyone any any suggestions above the traditional uniknot?

+1

2020/21: 6
(1769)

CC
Doesn't wake up for anything less than 70cms these days :P
Attachments
Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:05 am

Another beauty!
Well done mate.
Cheers 👍🏻

ubiquitous

Post by ubiquitous » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:00 pm

Cornacarpio wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:05 pm
I've found the cooler weather slows the Carp down a bit - I love smashing them in hot weather. The humble running sinker accounts for 90% of my catches, 15% with a small bubble float (particularly in summer)and the rest is probably just experimentations...freelining, single hook, paternoster, etc
Thanks CC,

I think I'll need to start making some proper burley mixes to properly feed the area I'm fishing. I've been using pellets, but the issue is when they're thrown dry, they get widely dispersed. It would be better to create a moist mixture that can be formed into balls and thrown to specific spots.

I had also thought about the idea of using small feeders in lieu of sinkers - perhaps I'll buy some and try it out.

Has anyone tried the section of creek just before the 'lake' section in Glen Iris? It has sections with some extra depth and bankside vegetation which look like they would hold fish.

Cornacarpio

Post by Cornacarpio » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:14 pm

ubiquitous wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:00 pm
Has anyone tried the section of creek just before the 'lake' section in Glen Iris? It has sections with some extra depth and bankside vegetation which look like they would hold fish.
All I will say about that is...seek and ye shall find

As for the berley cages - they would definitely work and would be ideal for the creek. I wouldn't mind checking them out myself.

ubiquitous

Post by ubiquitous » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:28 pm

I bought a set of feeders which should arrive in the next week or so. The type I bought are the 'method' feeder, which are a bit different from the cage type in that you place the baited hook and berley in a single mould. I'll report how I go with them in due course.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:50 pm

Cornacarpio wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:39 pm
The high-octane 'summer' of Carp continues! 75cms of bottom-dwelling fury! A relatively long and skinny model that took the bait within 5 minutes of setting-up! Trying new spots has really paid off for me so far this season (all legitimately within 5km too). I lost an absolute horse of a fish while I was down there, it was probably 80 plus cms, but was just too big/heavy to maneuver with my relatively light telescopic set-up. It was absolutely tireless and eventually my knot gave up and I was left to rue 'the one that got away'...it's the second decent fish I've lost this week due to poor knot tying (and of course the wear and tear these big Carp do to my tackle). Feel like I need a bloody surf rod down there at the moment! Sometimes I think it would be nice to sit down and relax and catch some 'normal' sized fish :)

Speaking of knots, does anyone any any suggestions above the traditional uniknot?

+1

2020/21: 6
(1769)

CC
Doesn't wake up for anything less than 70cms these days :P
Try the Centauri knot easy to tie. I normally go twice through the hook eye then tie the Centauri knot never failed for me.

Return to “Other Species”