To fish amongst kings.

Yellowtail Kingfish (Scientific name - Seriola lalandi), Kingys, Kings, Hoodlums, Bandits or "Rat Kings" are a strong, exciting gamefish that strike savagely at a wide range of lures, live baits and dead or cut fish fillets. Victorian Yellowtail Kingfish reports right here.
Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Re: To fish amongst kings.

Post by Raulfc7 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:08 am

Fantastic write up Doug and so good to see Cam land that kingie. As mentioned already a trip like that fish or no fish would have been a ball :ch:
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:34 pm

DougieK wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:53 pm
Basti wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:25 am
Bloody great effort Cam. The work you put it would have made it all the sweeter.

Well done Doug and Carl too. One of these days I gotta join you boys for a salmon sess atleast.
Honestly we went for salmon once this year, landed 3-4 and got back to planning trips we probably can't afford to go on.
I only say salmon because I don't have the time you guys invest to even consider lbg. Tbh I don't have time to chase carp even though I could throw a rock from my front yard into the nearest carp hole.

ChrisTaylor
Has liked: 27 times

Post by ChrisTaylor » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:32 pm

Fantastic write-up.

maxmikoo

Post by maxmikoo » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:00 pm

hey dougie, i'm a young guy tryns catch some kings off the rocks. i know it's a challenge in vic but i was thinking sone trips up to the prom and flinders could maybe provide some decent fishing if i'm lucky. i was wanting some advice on a setup to get and whether u think it's worth it. keeping in mind it is hard to get kings over the 10kg mark in melb espevially landbased i was wondering whether u thought these setups were suitable . pe5 or pe6 shimano grappler rod 8" or 8"2 and 50-60lb braid on a10000 saragossa. again not sure whether this is too heavy for the fish available but any advice is appreciated.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:09 am

maxmikoo wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:00 pm
hey dougie, i'm a young guy tryns catch some kings off the rocks. i know it's a challenge in vic but i was thinking sone trips up to the prom and flinders could maybe provide some decent fishing if i'm lucky. i was wanting some advice on a setup to get and whether u think it's worth it. keeping in mind it is hard to get kings over the 10kg mark in melb espevially landbased i was wondering whether u thought these setups were suitable . pe5 or pe6 shimano grappler rod 8" or 8"2 and 50-60lb braid on a10000 saragossa. again not sure whether this is too heavy for the fish available but any advice is appreciated.
IMO better to be too heavy than too light. I’d want to be well equipped if a 25+kg decided to come have a sniff. I’d say that gear is probably the minimum you’d want to fight a fish like that.

Dougie is the LBG (land based game, not the other acronym) expert around here though. I’ve only done a little bit here and there and have never caught a king fish LB

maxmikoo

Post by maxmikoo » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:33 pm

thanks for the response. as much as i'd love to catch a 25kg king the chances of me hooking up to even a10kg+ are very small and i don't wanna go overkill. I've been told that 8"2 will be too short and that i should look at the pe 2-4 colt sniper 10ft but i feel like this would be too light around reef and rocky bottoms, even on a very small king. What are ur thoughts?

Return to “Yellowtail Kingfish Fishing”