Through the heads and cruising Bass Strait

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Re: Through the heads and cruising Bass Strait

Post by frozenpod » Thu May 21, 2020 12:15 pm

It is not that bad, no different to any other entrance.

It is advisable to cross on an incoming tide and when the ocean swell is small. ie not on a calm day after there was a few days of strong wind.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Thu May 21, 2020 12:43 pm

Just as a point of interest , , , , how long would the trip take?

frozenpod

Post by frozenpod » Thu May 21, 2020 12:49 pm

It is about 65km from the yarra to the heads. Depending on the boat it could take anywhere from 1 to 2hrs each way.

Blue
Has liked: 35 times

Post by Blue » Thu May 21, 2020 12:50 pm

I,m not an experienced Rip man and cannot attempt to advise you.
However,as with all things connected with boating and particularly on “big” water, I reckon you take or go with an experienced
bloke,listen to him and watch how he goes about it.Not to suggest you are a novice, I have no idea, but best to learn before,not after, possible problems.It,s tough water but manageable if you point your wheels the right way.
Good luck and take care.
Blue
To find a fish
You do the miles.
Catch the fish
and earn the smiles.

Lord,allow me to catch a fish, so large that even I,when speaking of it afterwards.........May have no need to lie !!!

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Thu May 21, 2020 2:47 pm

Kestrel wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:44 am
ducky wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:18 am
Been out the rip a handful of times. Been in the rip a dozen times. On its day it’s pristine. When it decides to be scary it’s bloody terrifying.

I’d be very hesitant to do a trip out there for the first time on anything but a dead calm day. Especially coming back on a different ride than you left. Example very light breeze on Sunday just past. Run out tide. 4-5m High rollers on the Queenscliff side.

If going for a mosey I’d launch at newhaven and do eastern entrance or head out the western from stony:hastings
Yep Thanks
My boat is berthed in a Marina in the Yarra And I don't have a trailer so my only option is to go through the Heads.
Not sure what boat you have Kestrel (obviously pretty big), but that is a long trip. As frozenpod said, you are looking at about 2hrs just to get to the heads on a nice day. If it blows up then you can add a bit of time on to that (and fuel).

Im pretty sure a lot of the cruising sailboats do it in multiple days. They anchor up around Sorrento or Queenscliff and then head out the following day. Timing their run with slack tide. But obviously a sail boat is going to take a lot longer than a motorboat.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Kestrel
Has liked: 6 times

Post by Kestrel » Thu May 21, 2020 5:13 pm

SteveoTheTiger wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:47 pm
Kestrel wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:44 am
ducky wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:18 am
Been out the rip a handful of times. Been in the rip a dozen times. On its day it’s pristine. When it decides to be scary it’s bloody terrifying.

I’d be very hesitant to do a trip out there for the first time on anything but a dead calm day. Especially coming back on a different ride than you left. Example very light breeze on Sunday just past. Run out tide. 4-5m High rollers on the Queenscliff side.

If going for a mosey I’d launch at newhaven and do eastern entrance or head out the western from stony:hastings
Yep Thanks
My boat is berthed in a Marina in the Yarra And I don't have a trailer so my only option is to go through the Heads.
Not sure what boat you have Kestrel (obviously pretty big), but that is a long trip. As frozenpod said, you are looking at about 2hrs just to get to the heads on a nice day. If it blows up then you can add a bit of time on to that (and fuel).

Im pretty sure a lot of the cruising sailboats do it in multiple days. They anchor up around Sorrento or Queenscliff and then head out the following day. Timing their run with slack tide. But obviously a sail boat is going to take a lot longer than a motorboat.
Thanks Stevo . Mine is a Merry Fisher 20' so not that big. There is lots of good advice about going our through the Rip and I'd always be very careful about that. I guess my question and interest is what are the conditions like after getting out into Bass Strait ... and I suppose the answer to that is that it is different each day!

frozenpod

Post by frozenpod » Thu May 21, 2020 10:53 pm

Bass strait is typical of offshore conditions. On a typical day rolling swell of anywhere from 0.5 to 2m.

It can produce some very nasty seas 35m waves etc but it takes days of bad weather to build up.

ango

Post by ango » Fri May 22, 2020 7:54 pm

I have been through the rip in my boat, a 4.5 m tinny, you need to pick a day with a small tide range and a favorable weather report. Go out on slack water and if the swell is up pull the pin and don't do it. I have done lots of bar crossings and can say the ability to call it off if it looks a bit dicey is the best skill to have. You also need to think about getting back in, on most bars you can get on the back of a swell and follow it in no worries, but in the rip, if the tide is running out hard and there is a bit of swell around with a northerly wind, you will be stuck outside the heads. Cheers
Ango.

SnapperRapper
Has liked: 4 times

Post by SnapperRapper » Fri May 22, 2020 8:38 pm

Yep. Agreed. The Heads need to be respected

Kestrel
Has liked: 6 times

Post by Kestrel » Sat May 23, 2020 11:48 am

Thanks for the advice guys about getting out through the Rip ... very helpful.
What I was really trying to get info about was your experiences of what it's like out in Bass Strait AFTER getting through the Heads.
I have a 7 metre Merry Fisher.
Anyone care to share their experiences?
Cheers
Kestrel

Return to “Boating”