Covid-19 discussion

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Sinsemilla

Re: Covid-19 discussion

Post by Sinsemilla » Sun May 10, 2020 10:28 pm

Texas wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 10:24 pm
Geez some of you worry about the little, rather than the big.
$15,000 to Dan is chicken feed, he earns more than that a week (?)
People are dying, losing their homes
FFS you can't go fishing or have a beer at the pub or go to a restaurant, SO WHAT !!!!
People need to return to work, that's the main thing
Gra
It's not about fishing Tex, It's about political agendas, scaring the crap out of people and destroying families and small businesses.

It seems like that's what everyone is sooking about because that's what we see because we are on this forum.. it's more than that though

mazman
Has liked: 138 times

Post by mazman » Sun May 10, 2020 10:54 pm

4liters wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 8:38 pm
Sinsemilla wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 7:57 pm
cobby wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 7:11 pm
Sinsemilla wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 6:28 pm

They don't publish the suicide deaths or all the small businesses that have closed down, families that are going through a really hard time or how many people are close to losing their homes.
I'd almost bet suicide rates in the coming 24 months will be substantially higher in Victoria than any other state....
I can bet the jump in suicide rates just over these few months and the next 6 months will double that of the deaths of covid.. How cares about that though
It probably has. I was talking a client who is a psychologist and she reckons calls have gone through the roof.

What people need to understand though is the cost in lives of not shutting the economy down would be a lot higher than the number of people who take their own lives as a result of shutting it down.
Honestly I feel like Australia has done really well here. We have managed to get things mostly under control without completely shutting things down, a lot of businesses were able to keep trading throughout. Yeah the economy has definitely taken a hit but it is expected to take a hit in countries that haven't forced any lockdown and they have the burden of the covid death toll too
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

col1
Has liked: 9 times

Post by col1 » Sun May 10, 2020 10:56 pm

I don’t post In here much mainly because I’m a hack fisherman but reading through all these covid posts I figured I best throw my 2 cents in too:). A lot of people seem to have given up on the social distancing and I can understand why most people have gone above and beyond these last few weeks and sacrificed a lot now with active cases getting really quite low I’m sure Dan Andrews will relax things a little, surely we will be able to fish to some degree very soon.
Personally I am a swinging voter so don’t have an ingrained view which so many seem too. But I really can’t understand why so many fisherman are cracking the poo’s?? We should all be so proud as a nation for doing what very few countries around the world have been able too, and that is almost stop this wretched thing. Sure I get frustrated when I see dozens of people at Bunnings and at the shopping centres and wherever else, and I don’t necessarily agree with a blanket no fishing ban, but geez I see the glass as half full and I’d much rather be here in Victoria and not be able to fish than somewhere else on zoom or Skype watching a loved one die alone because it’s too dangerous to hold their hand in their last moments, thank you Dan Andrews, thank you Scomo and also everyone else that’s contributed to this effort. We should be very proud of what our small nation had achieved.
Can’t wait to get back to catching not much and the wife giving me grief because it’s a hell of a lot cheaper to buy fish than catch em.
Regards
Col

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Sun May 10, 2020 11:10 pm

mazman wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 10:54 pm
4liters wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 8:38 pm
Sinsemilla wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 7:57 pm
cobby wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 7:11 pm
Sinsemilla wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 6:28 pm

They don't publish the suicide deaths or all the small businesses that have closed down, families that are going through a really hard time or how many people are close to losing their homes.
I'd almost bet suicide rates in the coming 24 months will be substantially higher in Victoria than any other state....
I can bet the jump in suicide rates just over these few months and the next 6 months will double that of the deaths of covid.. How cares about that though
It probably has. I was talking a client who is a psychologist and she reckons calls have gone through the roof.

What people need to understand though is the cost in lives of not shutting the economy down would be a lot higher than the number of people who take their own lives as a result of shutting it down.
Honestly I feel like Australia has done really well here. We have managed to get things mostly under control without completely shutting things down, a lot of businesses were able to keep trading throughout. Yeah the economy has definitely taken a hit but it is expected to take a hit in countries that haven't forced any lockdown and they have the burden of the covid death toll too
You're right Alex. We could have it a lot worse. I'm personally not that fussed with the lock downs at the moment and think social distancing is needed but i think what's causing everyone to panic is the uncertainty. I just wish they gave us more information and were more transparent. Also it would help if all the states aligned and did everything together. I think this would ease the minds of the majority of people

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Sun May 10, 2020 11:15 pm

Texas wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 10:24 pm
People need to return to work, that's the main thing
I agree with that.

I have already lost over 2 months in pay (with no government payments to help cover it). And with the way they are talking i wont be going back to work until maybe next year which would mean i would loose close to 75% of the years pay.

I have been redeployed within the company to a major hospital, but there are almost no shifts available because they are not as busy as they thought they would be at this time. Which is a good thing, dont get me wrong. But they were expected to have up to 1200 patients, as it stands they barely have 300. Hopefully that will pick up a bit with elective surgery back on.

It isnt hurting me too much at the moment with most of my bills frozen or reduced to a minimum. But that good will is already showing signs of ending, and i am going to need those things to remain in place well after everybody else has gone back to their normal jobs. Unless they allow crowds back to the MCG (my normal workplace) a lot sooner that we think.

I tell you what though, start squirrelling away your money today for Bird Flu 2 or whatever in 5 or 10 years time and we do this all over again. As ive said, the precedent has been set.

Edit: i should point out that i am not against the lockdown in any way. The only reason the hospital i am working at is not full is due to the way this situation was handled. My main complaint is that i (and many others) have been totally forgotten by the government after many years of paying taxes by not being eligible for any sort of compensation.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Sun May 10, 2020 11:34 pm

That's a shame Steveo. I'm sure a lot of people are in the same boat as you which isn't good. I hope you get through this and wish you all the best

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sun May 10, 2020 11:46 pm

potatoeater wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 10:09 pm
Nude up wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 9:34 pm
Beware the second wave meant to scare us don’t compare Aus with Brazil or Ecuador were people live in squalor. England Italy high numbers due people live on top of one another same in New York apartment living.
My nephew and two of my sisters in England were tested and were positive for covid 19, nephew works at the airport all recovered.
I understand the need for what Vic has done and have abided with the rules but am getting sick of the scaremongering from the press it’s on all day and totally negative I am glad I don’t suffer from anxiety or I probably would have topped myself listening to the news.
Even if there were to be an explosion of cases from golf clubs, Sam Newman will simply switch conspiracy theories and never admit they were wrong in the first place.
Except by the time Newman made that protest not a single case was attributed to a golf course in any other state in the country. And yet Dan had the gall to throw out his no round of golf is worth peoples lives rhetoric. A line he threw out well after the lifting of the ban on surfing that occured within the first week of stage 3 restrictions, that then took a further 2 and a half weeks until the ban on kayaking, windsurfing, kite surfing and paddleboaring was lifted. All while DHHS release a lives saved figure so exponentially higher than any other states in the country it was comically laughable. And it's still just as likely we won't be fishing or playing golf in this state for many months more as it is those 2 ridiculous restrictions will be lifted with only 24 hours and 16 minutes remaining on the current state of emergency declaration.

potatoeater

Post by potatoeater » Sun May 10, 2020 11:53 pm

At the end of the day, Demand drives business which leads to jobs. Even if we were to lift all restrictions right now, and be damned with the human cost, a lot of those jobs that people left, won't exist anymore and so there is nothing to return to. The economy is circular - in that every dollar you spend, becomes income for someone else, who then spends it for someone else's income etc etc. If you've lost your job, on job seeker, had your hours reduced, or if you run a business and turnover has crashed: you're not going to go back to business as usual. You're going to save more where you can. Perhaps you'll eat out less and travel less. Getting people back to work is essential, but there hasn't been enough management of expectations on what that actually means since a lot business will discover the changes since the beginning of the pandemic has led to a permanent change in behaviour that makes their businesses no longer viable.

It'll be an issue come September when Jobkeeper payments are set to expire, as will the moratorium on evictions etc. Our economic strategy has been to "hibernate" until the pandemic passes but when we wake up, we'll see the world we left is quite different to what it has become.

potatoeater

Post by potatoeater » Mon May 11, 2020 12:01 am

cobby wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 11:46 pm
Except by the time Newman made that protest not a single case was attributed to a golf course in any other state in the country. And yet Dan had the gall to throw out his no round of golf is worth peoples lives rhetoric. A line he threw out well after the lifting of the ban on surfing that occured within the first week of stage 3 restrictions, that then took a further 2 and a half weeks until the ban on kayaking, windsurfing, kite surfing and paddleboaring was lifted. All while DHHS release a lives saved figure so exponentially higher than any other states in the country it was comically laughable. And it's still just as likely we won't be fishing or playing golf in this state for many months more as it is those 2 ridiculous restrictions will be lifted with only 24 hours and 16 minutes remaining on the current state of emergency declaration.
There are so many instances where the actual implementation of a policy goes wrong. This is a great example. But the reality is that even though I personally think banning fishing is a stupid moronic and ill-informed move, I understand why it was done. I still believe it was done with the intent to keep us safe and minimize risk. If anything, I've spent more money on fishing gear these last 2 months without being able to fish than the previous 10. Can't wait to get the all clear :wt:

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Mon May 11, 2020 12:08 am

col1 wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 10:56 pm
I don’t post In here much mainly because I’m a hack fisherman but reading through all these covid posts I figured I best throw my 2 cents in too:). A lot of people seem to have given up on the social distancing and I can understand why most people have gone above and beyond these last few weeks and sacrificed a lot now with active cases getting really quite low I’m sure Dan Andrews will relax things a little, surely we will be able to fish to some degree very soon.
Personally I am a swinging voter so don’t have an ingrained view which so many seem too. But I really can’t understand why so many fisherman are cracking the poo’s?? We should all be so proud as a nation for doing what very few countries around the world have been able too, and that is almost stop this wretched thing. Sure I get frustrated when I see dozens of people at Bunnings and at the shopping centres and wherever else, and I don’t necessarily agree with a blanket no fishing ban, but geez I see the glass as half full and I’d much rather be here in Victoria and not be able to fish than somewhere else on zoom or Skype watching a loved one die alone because it’s too dangerous to hold their hand in their last moments, thank you Dan Andrews, thank you Scomo and also everyone else that’s contributed to this effort. We should be very proud of what our small nation had achieved.
Can’t wait to get back to catching not much and the wife giving me grief because it’s a hell of a lot cheaper to buy fish than catch em.
Regards
Col
Very well said Col :tu:

On the wife giving you grief about the cost , , , , hide half your fishing gear, like the rest of us :-D

Cheers, Bill

Return to “General”