Suitable offshore tinny/any boat?

AF13579

Suitable offshore tinny/any boat?

Post by AF13579 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:29 pm

Hi all, Looking at graduating/upgrading from the confines of the river and onto the ocean more regularly. I have spent a lot of time on the ocean working on commercial vessels and on mate's boats so am quite comfortable out there, but interested to get people's thoughts on suitable boats to buy myself. Looking to head off shore from time to time around Mallacoota and maybe out of Eden sometimes too. I want something not just for fishing but also for spending time on the water with some family and mates. For fishing, there'll never be more than 2 of us at a time. But I am hoping to have something that can safely and reasonably comfortably take four people, just socially (not fishing) and general days out on the water on good days. Currently looking at a friend's aluminium 4.3m centre console which is in good nick, has 40Hp mercury 2 stroke. Photos attached. There is room for four people but wonder whether the motor will be OK, and also if it will be safe and comfortable enough. Storage is under the benches. We wouldn't be fishing if four of us so its just for general idling around. Would only ever be hugging the coast and not going through any bars. Interested to hear people's thoughts on this particular boat, but also any other suggestions. Thanks :)
Attachments
608451760(1).jpg
20200423_210604.jpg
20200423_210638.jpg

re-tyred
Has liked: 376 times

Re: Suitable offshore tinny/any boat?

Post by re-tyred » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:49 am

I go offshore in my 4.3 tinnie out of Lakes entrance It is an old quintrex with 30hp. The most i have onboard offshore is 2 but sometimes take 4 around the lake. One up, mine does 21knts about 19knts two up. Offshore it is rare to get a day you can do much over 15knts. That is fine really, 7-8nm offshore half an hour, can live with that. Usually only use about 10-20litres of fuel for the day. I carry two 25litre tanks. If you don't have a pull start then carry a jump start pack.
The important thing is to set it up for offshore and to only go in very good weather.

You will find if you do the calculations that the buoyancy is inadequate. The vessel will not float with all your gear in it if it is flooded.

I looked at a lot of solutions i.e adding foam under floor or in other cavities. I finally settled on a boat collar. I used the Kapten solid foam ones. They increase my buoyancy by approx 300kg. This means the vessel will float upright and with sufficient height to be able to be bailed out.

Other additions are the compulsory ones. radio,epirb, rocket flare,compass, plus all the inshore safety gear. I also have a PLB and HH radio attached to my life jacket.
I have water, spare warm jacket, gloves and beanie, and a spare external battery for my phone, in a waterproof bag.
Attachments
boat on ramp.jpg
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

fishnut
Has liked: 29 times

Post by fishnut » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:50 am

Years ago i had a 4.3m stacer and found 3 people max to be comfortable

AF13579

Post by AF13579 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:55 am

Are you talking 3 was max for fishing fishnut or generally having 3 in the boat?

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:15 am

fishnut wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:50 am
I agree. I had a 4.2 Savage and there was no way we could have any more than 3. And even that was pushing it, the boat was hard to get on plane and there was basically no room to move around. 2 people was perfect, one on the front seat and me on the back.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

AF13579

Post by AF13579 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:45 am

SteveoTheTiger wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:15 am
fishnut wrote:
I agree. I had a 4.2 Savage and there was no way we could have any more than 3. And even that was pushing it, the boat was hard to get on plane and there was basically no room to move around. 2 people was perfect, one on the front seat and me on the back.
Steveo are you talking for fishing having 3 people max, or in general no more than 3? For fishing there'd only ever be 2 people max. But for cruising along the coast for a few Kms on nice good weather days, would you take four? With a 40 motor?

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:28 am

AF13579 wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:45 am
SteveoTheTiger wrote:
fishnut wrote:
Steveo are you talking for fishing having 3 people max, or in general no more than 3? For fishing there'd only ever be 2 people max. But for cruising along the coast for a few Kms on nice good weather days, would you take four? With a 40 motor?
On my boat 4 would have been over loaded. It was a Savage Kestrel with a 25hp Merc. I never tried it, but it would have sat very low in the water and no way it would have got on plane. I think it was rated for 4 people, but you have to then factor in safety gear, fishing tackle (if you take any), ice, fuel + any extra fuel, battery, in my case i added a plywood floor etc etc. it all adds up pretty fast in a small boat.

Others might have a different view, but that was my experience in my old tinny.

Edit: Dont get me wrong though. That boat would be a great little fishing boat and i would have no problems buying to meet your fishing needs, so long as you keep safety in mind at all times when on the open water.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

fishnut
Has liked: 29 times

Post by fishnut » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:15 pm

AF13579 wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:55 am
Are you talking 3 was max for fishing fishnut or generally having 3 in the boat?
3 in the boat mate

AF13579

Post by AF13579 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:09 pm

SteveoTheTiger wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:28 am
AF13579 wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:45 am
SteveoTheTiger wrote:
fishnut wrote:
On my boat 4 would have been over loaded. It was a Savage Kestrel with a 25hp Merc. I never tried it, but it would have sat very low in the water and no way it would have got on plane. I think it was rated for 4 people, but you have to then factor in safety gear, fishing tackle (if you take any), ice, fuel + any extra fuel, battery, in my case i added a plywood floor etc etc. it all adds up pretty fast in a small boat.

Others might have a different view, but that was my experience in my old tinny.

Edit: Dont get me wrong though. That boat would be a great little fishing boat and i would have no problems buying to meet your fishing needs, so long as you keep safety in mind at all times when on the open water.
Thanks mate appreciate the thoughts. It would be running on a 40hp merc and is a fairly deep hull for it's length. Having said that, might take a look at something a little larger.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:54 pm

re-tyred wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:49 am

Other additions are the compulsory ones. radio,epirb, rocket flare,compass, plus all the inshore safety gear. I also have a PLB and HH radio attached to my life jacket.
I have water, spare warm jacket, gloves and beanie, and a spare external battery for my phone, in a waterproof bag.
Great rig there re-tyred and pretty well set up :tu:

Smart about the Boat Collars, very ingenious. I also like the water spray shields on the Bow-rails :tu:

re-tyred spray shields.JPG

Cheers, Bugs

Return to “Boating”