Corona virus part 2

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Corona virus part 2

Post by 4liters » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:09 pm

re-tyred wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:01 pm
Straight from the mouths of the water police. $1600 fine if you are out on the water. Only exception if you live on an island and use the boat to go to supermarket /doctor , working etc.
What are their views on kayaking being a form of exercise?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:14 pm

Some quotes on the NZ situation:

"Results: We found that it would be relatively easy to push some epidemic curves into the subsequent
year (ie, for R0 = 1.5). This would be harder for the more plausible R0 = 2.5 scenarios, but still
potentially feasible eg, via over 41% of “general contact reduction” for nine months, combined with
over 50% of cases having hospital isolation for nine months.
When considering the two highest levels of R0 (2.5 and 3.5), and the two levels of “general contact
reduction” (at 25% for six months and 50% for nine months), the estimated health impacts were:
44% to 64% of the population sick; 18% to 26% seeking a medical consultation (including
Healthline and internet consultations); 22,200 to 32,000 people needing to be hospitalised; 5,540 to
8,000 people needing critical care (in an intensive care unit [ICU]); 2,770 to 4000 requiring
ventilators; and 8560 to 14,400 dying (0.17% to 0.29% of the population). On the worst day for the
worst scenario (R0 = 3.5, 25% contact reduction), there would be 11,200 people needing to be
hospitalised and 2,800 needing to be admitted to critical care. For this scenario ICU capacity would
be full on day 92, at a very early point in the epidemic curve. Such demands are unprecedented in
New Zealand’s history and unless there was a major reconfiguration of services, would be
overwhelming, with a risk of this pushing up the case fatality rate. The mortality burden would
almost certainly be much higher in older age-groups (eg, 89% of the deaths estimated to be in the
60+ age-group), and also would probably be patterned by ethnicity (higher for Māori and Pacific
peoples), and for people living in deprived areas.

Conclusions: If New Zealand fails with its current eradication strategy toward COVID-19, then
health outcomes for New Zealand could be very severe. If interventions were intense enough
however, in some scenarios the epidemic peak could still be suppressed or pushed out to the
following year (at which time a vaccine may be available)."

Given their care situation you can understand their strategy: either eradicate the virus or keep it at low levels so the system can cope until a vaccine is developed.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

re-tyred
Has liked: 376 times

Post by re-tyred » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:19 pm

didn't ask them about kayaking. there were two out today on the lake.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:42 pm

Truedogz, thanks for the NZ projected scenarios :tu:

Seems Governments are tasked with choosing the "best" bad situation to aim for, out of a list of possibly worse situations/scenarios.

They may be judged in the future on how bad it got, or how it may be perceived they didn't control it enough.

But equally, if a disaster was avoided, they may not get the true credit they deserve and might be criticized for excessively harsh action.

I remember a quote by a member on here that went something like this:
"It's like stopping a golf ball hitting your mate on the back of the head without him knowing, and even if you told him you did, he still wouldn't realise the danger he was in"

Regards, Bugatti

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:52 pm

Well, according to this pretty official statement it appears recreational boating is actually currently illegal as its not listed as a reason to leave your premises and it is enforceable by law. It would appear that kayaking is exercise and may be allowable but don’t quote me.

https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/sites/defau ... ons%20.pdf

Took a while to find this and the statements in the media are clear as mud.

re-tyred
Has liked: 376 times

Post by re-tyred » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:56 pm

My boat is tarped down and waiting for me to give it a good tidy up. will be doing that after i finish painting the bedrooms. There better be at least 3 months of this house arrest or i won't get all th projects done.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:59 pm

Nude up wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:49 pm
From the stage 3 guidelines

Maritime Safety Victoria have confirmed that recreational boating is a non-essential activity and we are being asked not to go recreational boating. We have been advised that authorised officers will be speaking to people they see out on the water and recommend they head home.

Victorian Fisheries Authority have confirmed that you can still fish as long as you practice social distancing and do not congregate in a group more than 2.

Fishing is still ok.
queenslands take on the wording
angus mitchell maritime safety queensland
wrote in a statement.According to Mr Mitchell, the only "permitted circumstance that might reasonably be considered to include recreational boating" is that for physical exercise using non-powered crafts, i.e paddle etc.
https://www.vision6.com.au/v/63604/1029 ... FvHADeSnKQ

So its still in the air for interpretation for kayaks..Just need someone in authority to publicly make a similar statement.

Paddle Australia have yet to update their interpretation that it is still ok to paddle, last statement 27/2

Troy McLure
Has liked: 140 times

Post by Troy McLure » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:00 pm

Seems pretty much everything is out of bounds now, getting us ready for a total lockdown it seems. I reckon for what it’s worth that the National Cabinet are doing a pretty good job in uncharted territory and I agree with Bug that we may never know how well they’ve done. Plenty of people will moan about what is to come but I’d much rather be here in Australia than anywhere else I reckon.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:07 pm

re-tyred wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:56 pm
My boat is tarped down and waiting for me to give it a good tidy up. will be doing that after i finish painting the bedrooms. There better be at least 3 months of this house arrest or i won't get all th projects done.

Mike, you better add on another 3 months for the painting you are about to volunteer to do at my place :-D

Now, as they have stated, you are allowed to travel for work , , , , and the amount of painting I have here to be done, I'd work your butt off.

Cheers, Bugs , , , , leaning more towards "Midnight Musk" rather than "Crappy Cream" for the loungeroom :-D

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:53 pm

QLD

"MINISTER FOR TRANSPORT AND MAIN ROADS
THE HONOURABLE MARK BAILEY
TUESDAY, MARCH 31, 2020
FISHING AND ESSENTIAL BOAT USE TO CONTINUE
Queensland boaties can still take their boats out locally to fish or travel for essential reasons.
Transport and Main Roads Minister Mark Bailey clarified the rules for boaties as the evolving COVID-19 response restricted a range of activities.
“If you own a boat and want to head out in the water in your local community to fish for food this weekend, you can,” Mr Bailey said.
“If you need your boat to travel locally in your community, you can still do that.
“If you want to head out on your kayak or stand up paddle board for exercise, you still can.
“State Government boat ramps will remain open to boaties.
“We want people to continue living their lives as normally as possible under the current circumstances, but the advice of the Chief Health Officer needs to be followed.
“No one should be leaving their home unless it’s absolutely necessary.”
Mr Bailey said recent national directives limiting public gatherings to two people or less and limiting travel to essential purposes still applied.
“This isn’t a special rule to let people out on the water for non-essential reasons this weekend,” Mr Bailey said.
“There’s no reason for anyone to be taking the boat out unless it’s for essential travel to get to work, to and from your home, to local shops for provisions or catching fish for your family.
“Even then, there should be no more than two people, or immediate family members on board, and the social distancing rules everyone is being asked to follow still apply.
“Boaties should also be mindful of hygiene when putting boats in the water at public facilities.”
Mr Bailey encouraged boaties to continue monitoring the national health advice on COVID-19.
“As the nation works together to stop the spread of the virus, there is new advice daily.
“Boaties should be aware of the current restrictions on boat use, and be prepared for that advice to change again, should tougher rules to limit public movements and interaction come in.”"

Return to “General”