'Ajing' Ultra-light rod?

piscateur
Has liked: 63 times

Re: 'Ajing' Ultra-light rod?

Post by piscateur » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:35 am

I heard theres a fishing shop in Springvale that has light gear but havent been there to check it out. Anyone been there? the shop from Google street view doesnt look like much 375A Springvale rd Springvale. but states that they stock quality japanese gear.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:11 pm

Aimless wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:55 am
Looks like CarlG is the man to speak to.

I have my eye on a Major Craft First Cast UL rod, something silly like 2 or 3lb line and 3lb leader!

I first caught wind of Ajing on IsoFishingLifestyle, they have a nice looking beginner's kit but it is a bit steep for dipping a toe in!

The drunk monkey is a nice looking rod too, closest I've seen to a proper dedicated 'Aji' rod on sale here. Need to suss out the nibble tips too.
your best bet locally is to get hold of any Daiwa Ultra Light Rods , other brands just dont cater to technique specific action. or anything that light for that matter.
drunken money is a good rod, but the newer version has larger guides and tip section to rule them out for Aji work. but you could persevere if needed with it

forget about the nibble tip whiting rods as well as they are not fully graphite and wont be able to work the plastic like a proper lure rod
Not sure about the Ns amped, but i doubt it will have the ability to throw .5gm

your best bet is to join the facebook page (Victoria ajing club)and contact the guy who runs it (Trung) he will point you in the right direction.

Aimless
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Aimless » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:38 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:11 pm
Aimless wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:55 am
Looks like CarlG is the man to speak to.

I have my eye on a Major Craft First Cast UL rod, something silly like 2 or 3lb line and 3lb leader!

I first caught wind of Ajing on IsoFishingLifestyle, they have a nice looking beginner's kit but it is a bit steep for dipping a toe in!

The drunk monkey is a nice looking rod too, closest I've seen to a proper dedicated 'Aji' rod on sale here. Need to suss out the nibble tips too.
your best bet locally is to get hold of any Daiwa Ultra Light Rods , other brands just dont cater to technique specific action. or anything that light for that matter.
drunken money is a good rod, but the newer version has larger guides and tip section to rule them out for Aji work. but you could persevere if needed with it

forget about the nibble tip whiting rods as well as they are not fully graphite and wont be able to work the plastic like a proper lure rod
Not sure about the Ns amped, but i doubt it will have the ability to throw .5gm

your best bet is to join the facebook page (Victoria ajing club)and contact the guy who runs it (Trung) he will point you in the right direction.
Thanks for that advice, very handy. I did put in a request to join the FB group yesterday and just waiting on approval before jumping in with some more questions!

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:20 pm

Don’t worry about talking to Trung, CarlG is the guy in the know.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Aimless

Post by Aimless » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:26 pm

4liters wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:20 pm
I have flicked him a PM so look forward to getting his advice!

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:32 pm

Aimless wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:26 pm
4liters wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:20 pm
I have flicked him a PM so look forward to getting his advice!
You won’t regret it. Add him on Facebook if he’s slow to respond here. Very helpful and friendly guy.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

hanboy
Has liked: 3 times

Post by hanboy » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:19 pm

I managed to find a Megabass Shoreluck SL-611UL on eBay for $150 a while ago. Rated 2-6lb but can still handle bigger fish and lures with ease. I highly rate the Megabass ultralight gear. Look around there may be some sales or bargains on them.

ChrisTaylor
Has liked: 27 times

Post by ChrisTaylor » Fri May 15, 2020 9:35 am

https://isofishinglifestyle.com.au/prod ... ijin-ajing

Any thoughts on this? They also sell a similarly-priced 'JS Company' rod but I'm unfamiliar with that brand, and can't find any reviews (of the aji offering specifically) online.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » Fri May 15, 2020 4:40 pm

ChrisTaylor wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 9:35 am
https://isofishinglifestyle.com.au/prod ... ijin-ajing

Any thoughts on this? They also sell a similarly-priced 'JS Company' rod but I'm unfamiliar with that brand, and can't find any reviews (of the aji offering specifically) online.
Hey Chris, just saw your posts on the FB Ajing group too.

I don't know that one specifically. The Daiwa gear is generally pretty good. No idea on JS company although if they sell it as intermediate I would trust them.

The solid tip is more suited for jigheads and the hollow tips are generally better for plugs and things like that, so I've read. I have a solid tip rod that I like.

I went for the Majorcraft First Cast rod in the end, which is really fantastic. A fair bit cheaper ordering direct from Japan (with some extra stuff to reach free postage), but the site I got it from is not shipping rods due to restrictions at the moment. For the price, that first cast gear is fantastic I reckon.

The Isofishing guys are nice fellows, it's marked up a bit but they also give good advice specific to conditions here so up to you what you're happy with.

If you're just getting started, I would try the cheaper option and see if you actually like it.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”