Used boat recomendation 5 to 5.8 mt range

taipan
Has liked: 26 times

Re: Used boat recomendation 5 to 5.8 mt range

Post by taipan » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:40 pm

cobby wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:23 pm
If you don't want a rebuilder in the future forget glass, especially anything beginning with H, C or S. They all eventually need a rebuild.

Alison Fisherman 175 or 189.
Caribbean Concorde (5.5m) or Intruder (5.8m).
Cruise Craft 550 Outsider.
Edencraft 565. It's the original Haines Hunter 565L hull from when Haines went bust before the OMC purchase.
Haines Hunter 560F/SL 570SF Champion, 580 Breeze (effectively all the same hull), 580SF (same same as the 560F except a bigger cabin, a half pod setup and a few other changes. Arguably the best Haines hull in existance since the original 565).
Haines Signature 1750L, 530F, 532F, 1850L, 540F, 542F, 575F. First 3 are same hull, the pick is the last of the 532 from 1997-1998. The 575F is the best hull out of the lot.
Seafarer Viking 5.5 (cuddy), Ventura 5.5(half cab), Vega 5.75.
Southwind 550WR. Became the Southern Star 550WR, which became a Lewis 590WR. Same hull all the way through. 580SF.
Savage Mako (cuddy), Surveyor (half cab). Same hull.
Formula Powerboats Australia F19 (another Haines 565l flop, just rare as rocking horse **** on the market). F21 (a Donzi flop) for slightly bigger and again rare as rocking horse ****.
Mustang 1750, 1800, 1900. Sold to the Haines Group and rebranded as Tournament, same model designations though.
Northbank 540 cuddy. Still in production as the 550C.

I've always loved the Southwind 550WR, and the Haines Hunter 580SF is the best riding boat I've ever been in under 6m. They're well worth just biting the bullet, rebuilding immediately and whacking a new V6 Mercury on the back. But we need a budget, because if we're talking under $30k, forget half of that list
That's a list & a half there Cobby many thanks ! :-D

From the outset you mentioned keep away from brands H, C, S.
there's 2 makes come under C & 2 under S. Think a fair few of those are in the list.

Keeping away from those = going Ally ? ….. that’s one type I'm not really keen on just
my preference.

Regards to wiping half those contenders off the list if the budget's under 30k that I'm
not sure about I'd like to look at the 20k mark & have seen couple of those models in the list'
even in the teens. All in all a great reference & starting point.

Cheers :-D

taipan

Post by taipan » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:49 pm

mr plow wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:11 pm
Seafarer either Ventura or Viking, they also do a 5.75 called a Vega.
Savage mako or surveyor .
Just cause it's mid 90s doesn't mean it will have rot just make sure you get it checked out well.
My 95 model boat is still rock solid

Cheers for those mr plow :-D
I've come across the Seafarers in research a number of times especially the Viking.
most likely will be on my shortlist for sure.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:21 pm

taipan wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:40 pm
cobby wrote:
If you don't want a rebuilder in the future forget glass, especially anything beginning with H, C or S. They all eventually need a rebuild.

Edencraft 565. It's the original Haines Hunter 565L hull from when Haines went bust before the OMC purchase.
Haines Hunter 560F/SL 570SF Champion, 580 Breeze (effectively all the same hull), 580SF (same same as the 560F except a bigger cabin, a half pod setup and a few other changes. Arguably the best Haines hull in existance since the original 565).
Haines Signature 1750L, 530F, 532F, 1850L, 540F, 542F, 575F. First 3 are same hull, the pick is the last of the 532 from 1997-1998. The 575F is the best hull out of the lot.
Southwind 550WR. Became the Southern Star 550WR, which became a Lewis 590WR. Same hull all the way through. 580SF.
Formula Powerboats Australia F19 (another Haines 565l flop, just rare as rocking horse **** on the market). F21 (a Donzi flop) for slightly bigger and again rare as rocking horse ****.
Mustang 1750, 1800, 1900. Sold to the Haines Group and rebranded as Tournament, same model designations though.

I've always loved the Southwind 550WR, and the Haines Hunter 580SF is the best riding boat I've ever been in under 6m. They're well worth just biting the bullet, rebuilding immediately and whacking a new V6 Mercury on the back. But we need a budget, because if we're talking under $30k, forget half of that list

there's 2 makes come under C & 2 under S. Think a fair few of those are in the list.

Keeping away from those = going Ally ? ….. that’s one type I'm not really keen on just
my preference.

Regards to wiping half those contenders off the list if the budget's under 30k that I'm
not sure about I'd like to look at the 20k mark & have seen couple of those models in the list'

All fibreglass boats will need a rebuild. They were built to a price and a time frame and not to last 100 years. Most of those listed to scrape under $25k will have some sort of compromise be it motor, trailer or the hull. Under $20k then to not compromise as much drop down a size or go an older hull. You won't get a decently modern 4 stroke without commercial usage type hours, or trailers that don't need some attention reasonably early without going down a size or an older hull unless you find that unicorn bargain. So you've got

Older Caribbean Concorde, or their precursor the Crestcutter.
Haines Hunter 520SF. A 560F might squeeze in budget but is likely to be 100% untouched original and likely close to rebuild phase.
The 5.2m Seafarer Viking. A reasonable 5.5 won't be in the budget. Or drop down to the 5.0 Vsea.
A squared off cabin version of the 5.02 Streaker cuddy. The newer rounded versions will be over $25k in decent knick.
Northbank 490 cuddy, which is the same as the current 500C model.
Stick to the 1750L and 530F Haines Signatures. Or drop down to a 492F.
Cruise Craft you'll need to go older in a 533 Reef Finder.
Southwind drop size to a 500SF.
Forget Tournament branded hulls and stick with Mustang, and the 1750 will be about it in budget without going into 30yo+ models.
Forget the Edencrafts and Formulas all together, they'll all be $50k and then some.

As for avoiding certain brands, the hulls are to good but they have a high appearance of owners requiring partial or full rebuilds either immediately or in the not to distant future. Cruise Craft and Seafarer once upon a time used Masonite in their floors, very average pine in transoms. Haines Hunters and Signatures have a tendency to need complete rebuilds across all models, and all year ranges. Streakers have their floors go soft. Caribbeans have areas that need redoing, like the floor over the underfloor fuel tank on a 10yo boat. I should know, it spent another 8 years to long still in the boat... They're all just some sort of wood, with fibreglass and resin slapped on them, with 100 screws haplessly drilled in and through usually without any form of sealant.

If it is strictly for the bays only and zero chance of going offshore unless it's that 1 day a year where there's absolutely no wind, even going 4.5-5m sized hulls will do fine. And then you open up newer versions that are less likely to have issues

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:39 pm

IMO the pick of boats in that size is the Haines Signature 575F.

I would avoid the Seafarer it is a back breaker.

taipan

Post by taipan » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:13 pm

cobby wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:21 pm
taipan wrote:
cobby wrote:

my preference.

All fibreglass boats will need a rebuild. They were built to a price and a time frame and not to last 100 years. Most of those listed to scrape under $25k will have some sort of compromise be it motor, trailer or the hull. Under $20k then to not compromise as much drop down a size or go an older hull. You won't get a decently modern 4 stroke without commercial usage type hours, or trailers that don't need some attention reasonably early without going down a size or an older hull unless you find that unicorn bargain. So you've got

Haines Hunter 520SF. A 560F might squeeze in budget but is likely to be 100% untouched original and likely close to rebuild phase.
The 5.2m Seafarer Viking. A reasonable 5.5 won't be in the budget. Or drop down to the 5.0 Vsea.
A squared off cabin version of the 5.02 Streaker cuddy. The newer rounded versions will be over $25k in decent knick.
Forget Tournament branded hulls and stick with Mustang, and the 1750 will be about it in budget without going into 30yo+ models.
Forget the Edencrafts and Formulas all together, they'll all be $50k and then some.

As for avoiding certain brands, the hulls are to good but they have a high appearance of owners requiring partial or full rebuilds either immediately or in the not to distant future. Cruise Craft and Seafarer once upon a time used Masonite in their floors, very average pine in transoms. Haines Hunters and Signatures have a tendency to need complete rebuilds across all models, and all year ranges. Streakers have their floors go soft. Caribbeans have areas that need redoing, like the floor over the underfloor fuel tank on a 10yo boat. I should know, it spent another 8 years to long still in the boat... They're all just some sort of wood, with fibreglass and resin slapped on them, with 100 screws haplessly drilled in and through usually without any form of sealant.

If it is strictly for the bays only and zero chance of going offshore unless it's that 1 day a year where there's absolutely no wind, even going 4.5-5m sized hulls will do fine. And then you open up newer versions that are less likely to have issues

That’s a excellent breakdown there cobby many thanks.

Yes I've noticed just doing general searches on the Used market the majority in my type of range
all have 2 strokes with an occasional 4 stroke but rare.

It's bit of a concern the big name manufactured boats all come in for rebuilds especially Haines's needing complete rebuilds
by complete I gather you mean new transoms & floors. I can understand maybe in the 70's 80's the manufacturers using
cheap woods, but into the 90's they couldn't use better quality materials is beyond me. :( I hope the use of Masonite & Pine board
days are long gone and the 100 screws drilled anywhere that’s a joke really why the big names would go down the rough & cheap
route. Think I'll definitely be using a private pre purchase inspection on whatever takes my fancy down the track especially the hulls
& their insides.

Agree with the dropping down in the size models too that needs good consideration and the safest alternative.

One that wasn't on your list that I've noticed are fairly popular Southwind 565 a yes or no ? read couple of threads
on those something about the tank capacity either not great or the 2 stroke Yamaha's on them fuel guzzlers.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:08 pm

One that wasn't on your list that I've noticed are fairly popular Southwind 565 a yes or no ? read couple of threads
on those something about the tank capacity either not great or the 2 stroke Yamaha's on them fuel guzzlers.
[/quote]

I cant remember the exact history, but basically Yamaha decided to manufacture boats (obviously with Yamaha outboards attached) and did so for a number of years until they ceased manufacturing in the early 2000's. You'll find that most 2nd hand boats have the original 2-banger yammies on them unless they have been re-powered.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:54 pm

Yeah for a 5-6m not needing a rebuild and around $20k will be blokes getting divorced needing quick cash. Outside of getting lucky you have SFA of getting a proven hull on water without issues.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:02 pm

I had a caribbean cobra.
Wouldnt mind one of these .https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/deta ... AD-6512296
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

taipan

Post by taipan » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:19 pm

ducky wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:54 pm
Yeah for a 5-6m not needing a rebuild and around $20k will be blokes getting divorced needing quick cash. Outside of getting lucky you have SFA of getting a proven hull on water without issues.
Thanks for the encouraging words, but it is possible to locate a good one with due dilligence.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:20 pm

taipan wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:13 pm
cobby wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:21 pm
taipan wrote:
cobby wrote:

my preference.

That’s a excellent breakdown there cobby many thanks.

Yes I've noticed just doing general searches on the Used market the majority in my type of range
all have 2 strokes with an occasional 4 stroke but rare.

It's bit of a concern the big name manufactured boats all come in for rebuilds especially Haines's needing complete rebuilds
by complete I gather you mean new transoms & floors. I can understand maybe in the 70's 80's the manufacturers using
cheap woods, but into the 90's they couldn't use better quality materials is beyond me. :( I hope the use of Masonite & Pine board
days are long gone and the 100 screws drilled anywhere that’s a joke really why the big names would go down the rough & cheap
route. Think I'll definitely be using a private pre purchase inspection on whatever takes my fancy down the track especially the hulls
& their insides.

Agree with the dropping down in the size models too that needs good consideration and the safest alternative.

Wood and water over many years don't mix. It's nothing against one manufacturer or the other, it's just a fact of life with fibreglass boats as they get older. And you think how many screws are in a boat, most done with none or very minimal sealant by manufacturers, dealerships and owners. Everything from battery boxes, switches, rod holders, guages, seat brackets, under floor fixture covers, electronics, transducers, bungs, the alloy capping over the tansom deck/hull join, even the motor itself bolted through the transom. All of that is a place for water to enter. And then you've got gouges and knicks from trailers or just sheer clumsiness elsewhere. If a fibreglass boat reaches 25 years old and is still 100% solid everywhere its almost a miracle.

RE Southwinds. Mattblack was right in Yamaha wanted to compete with Brunswick (Mercury) in having a boat range as well. Yamaha eventually pulled the pin in the mid 2000s not long after Brunswick sold off Savage boats to Whittley, with employees buying the moulds and manufacturing under the Southern Star brand. Think they went bust, and sold some moulds to Lewis ski boats and others elsewhere.

As pure fishing boats, I rate only the SF500, 500 Stealth, 550WR, SF580 and the SF655. All the others have minimal deck space. A SF500 has as much fishing room as the larger SR565 you mentioned. I haven't included the UB long boats, as they're strictly open/centre console minimalist boats.

Return to “Boating”