Bad season or bad forum?

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Robbie1950
Has liked: 213 times

Re: Bad season or bad forum?

Post by Robbie1950 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:31 am

Sinsemilla wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:04 am
Robbie1950 wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:10 pm
Back 5 years ago this was pretty much the only active place to discuss Victorian fishing. Now days you have 25 FB pages dedicated to Vic fishing not to mention another 25 on Instagram.

I follow a bunch of people on Insta who fish and post regularly, the amount of content they put online I don't even need to read reports here to know what happening and where.

Social media platforms are the new forums of discussion so don't be surprised that this place is demising day by day.

I've seen guys write very good reports on here with maybe 1 response or even none, mind you the thread has been viewed 200 times. Why would that person been keen on writing another report then? Some people find it hard to acknowledge someones report with a comment let alone write one themselves.

All I hear is sooking here. This person 'posts too much' that 'person doesn't posts anymore'. Make up your minds people.
The difference between here and insta is here there is actual discussion. "likes" and "well done buddy" is all you'll get from insta.

I post a report here and there and don't mind not getting replies.. I post up reports because i want to, not for validation or likes.

If guys are posting to get likes and get upset because they didn't get replies .. I'm sorry, but those guys are fairies.

Cheers, Anth
Your post just emphasises my point, no difference really. You'll be lucky to get 'likes' and 'well done buddy' here on reports let alone a discussion.

StarrangerAU
Has liked: 58 times

Post by StarrangerAU » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:04 am

I'm a bit late to the game for this topic, but will throw my two bob in by ways of justification from my lack of contributions lately....

As a reasonably regular land based angler, this summer season has been pretty challenging in PBB and the surrounding waters (Inverloch, Welshpool, Apollo, Barwon ). For my part I haven't landed anything decent to take home for almost two months. Its hard making a readable report from landing micro pinkies, just legal flatties, banjos, and eagle rays.

Noted.... the forum needs contributors to sustain community interest and improve community involvement. I'll be making an effort to throw some words together whilst crying into my beer after the next trip(s).

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:44 am

Tackleberry wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:01 pm
Millzee wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:46 pm
Make it easier to post pics and I'll post reports
This is funny as ...... This place is one of the easiest on the net to post a pic you dont even need a host sight ......
nah its not funny.
earlier, possibly even before you joined we could upload larger files straight from our phones.
not possible anymore, and with phones these days being so advanced running higher mpX sizes its even harder to do so.
i have to upload my pics to facebook, then redownload them onto my phone and then upload them here to post them, f^%$@^#&^ PITA tbh!!!
can see why its harder to post reports now compared to earlier...

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Post by croe04 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:44 am

smokin_reels wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:38 am
So much to learn from this forum.
If everyone contributed something whenever they learnt something new, we’d all be richer.
This is bang on.
In the last year or so i've been on the forum i've gotten exponentially better at fishing, even though i've been fishing less. Gone from hapless to actually very capable all on the back on what i've learned from you guys on here. The forum is truly a wealth of knowledge, and it's important for consistent reports and posts so that said knowledge can be continually shared and attained by others. I'm not too fussed about likes and kudos for my reports, but like robbie said there actually needs to be discussion. thats where the learning comes from.
Just my 2 cents.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:52 am

Robbie1950 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:31 am
Sinsemilla wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:04 am
Robbie1950 wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:10 pm
Back 5 years ago this was pretty much the only active place to discuss Victorian fishing. Now days you have 25 FB pages dedicated to Vic fishing not to mention another 25 on Instagram.

I follow a bunch of people on Insta who fish and post regularly, the amount of content they put online I don't even need to read reports here to know what happening and where.

Social media platforms are the new forums of discussion so don't be surprised that this place is demising day by day.

I've seen guys write very good reports on here with maybe 1 response or even none, mind you the thread has been viewed 200 times. Why would that person been keen on writing another report then? Some people find it hard to acknowledge someones report with a comment let alone write one themselves.

All I hear is sooking here. This person 'posts too much' that 'person doesn't posts anymore'. Make up your minds people.
The difference between here and insta is here there is actual discussion. "likes" and "well done buddy" is all you'll get from insta.

I post a report here and there and don't mind not getting replies.. I post up reports because i want to, not for validation or likes.

If guys are posting to get likes and get upset because they didn't get replies .. I'm sorry, but those guys are fairies.

Cheers, Anth
Your post just emphasises my point, no difference really. You'll be lucky to get 'likes' and 'well done buddy' here on reports let alone a discussion.
I guess some people just have thicker skin than others.

I get discussion from here. Guys private msg me all the time asking me questions or to just have a chat.

You got a fair discussion and replies on your whiting report and cook up..

Cheers, Anth

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:59 am

StarrangerAU wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:04 am
I'm a bit late to the game for this topic, but will throw my two bob in by ways of justification from my lack of contributions lately....

As a reasonably regular land based angler, this summer season has been pretty challenging in PBB and the surrounding waters (Inverloch, Welshpool, Apollo, Barwon ). For my part I haven't landed anything decent to take home for almost two months. Its hard making a readable report from landing micro pinkies, just legal flatties, banjos, and eagle rays.

Noted.... the forum needs contributors to sustain community interest and improve community involvement. I'll be making an effort to throw some words together whilst crying into my beer after the next trip(s).
Spot on. I've noticed when a boring report gets put up saying "caught fish in the southern end of the bay" and it's just bragging and not really talking about what types of areas, lures used or bait, time of day or tide, it turns to ****. People want to learn a bit every time they read.

When there are reports constantly being put up with a bit of information for people to take away it really builds up the comradery of the forum.

Boredom and monotony can bring out the worst in people unfortunately.

Sebb
Has liked: 3020 times

Post by Sebb » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:11 pm

Finally read all through five pages, thought I would say something.

Personally I wouldn't say bad.

In regards to the forum, there's a lot more people in the world, more people fishing and more media platforms etc. Hence, more distributed across based on people's preference. The only thing remains constant is that there's always a change.

In regards to the fishing, yes the weather has been weird. But that's Vic I think. The heatwave and the sudden cool change etc. A bit more mental this summer but happened in the past too.

Sometimes I feel this season there's a lot more micro pinkies but then last year I caught a lot of micro pinkies too. And still few donut trips too. Or maybe coz I got a better kayak and got access to catch more pinkies, who knows.

Same as StarrangerAU, sometimes I go for half an hour flick afterwork and caught one micro pinkie. Thinking, should I write a report about this. Usually it happens when I'm busy and end up not writing anything. Maybe I should.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Tackleberry
Has liked: 323 times

Post by Tackleberry » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:12 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:44 am
Tackleberry wrote:
Millzee wrote:
This is funny as ...... This place is one of the easiest on the net to post a pic you dont even need a host sight ......
nah its not funny.
earlier, possibly even before you joined we could upload larger files straight from our phones.
not possible anymore, and with phones these days being so advanced running higher mpX sizes its even harder to do so.
i have to upload my pics to facebook, then redownload them onto my phone and then upload them here to post them, f^%$@^#&^ PITA tbh!!!
it only takes 30 sec to resize pics there are heaps of apps for this .
Got me beat why you would stuff around doing it the faceache way .
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:34 pm

Tackleberry wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:12 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:44 am
Tackleberry wrote:
Millzee wrote:
nah its not funny.
it only takes 30 sec to resize pics there are heaps of apps for this .
Got me beat why you would stuff around doing it the faceache way .
i find that way easier cause i can do multiple files in one go.

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Post by ChrisD » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:45 pm

Just went through Warrandyte and as expected with all this rain the Yarra is right up and dirty again.
So it will be at least a week....if the rain stops....before it starts dropping again. :(

Return to “General”