Altona Jetty - 1/12

Williamstown, Altona, Point Cook, Werribee
StarrangerAU
Has liked: 58 times

Altona Jetty - 1/12

Post by StarrangerAU » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:12 am

Very quick...

Dropped the missus of at work at 6.30am and decided to not waste a morning so headed to Altona Jetty. I don't usually travel to the west but after reading about the artificial reef located out past the end of Altona Jetty I figured with a north westerly it might be a day to give it a go.

The burley bomb in the bag worked well, thousands of 2-3 inch bait-fish were held close to the end of the pier for a good two maybe three hours, had two lines out in the trail ... annnd.. nothing.

Ran an assortment of lures through and under the bait-fish hoping something bigger was lurking underneath.. nope... not a touch.

With a favorable wind I a tried a balloon and some whole pilles off over the reef at about 70-80 mtrs, nothing,

So yeah, a fair effort but nothing came of it. Nice old pier, but didn't seem have the hallmarks of being hugely productive pier.

** edit some words
Last edited by StarrangerAU on Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Altona Jetty - 1/12

Post by Lightningx » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:20 am

I haven’t fished that pier for quite sometime but used to catch plenty of pinkies off the end and gars down in the shallows and salmon in the colder months.

Kenle
Has liked: 214 times

Post by Kenle » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:57 am

Yeah that jetty may seem barren most of the time with 99% donut rate, however if you are there on that 1% it's a whole different story. Most of my successful sessions at that pier have been at night and right on sunrise. Anything from gummy, big flatties and a snapper or two have been landed along with heaps of banjos ofcoarse. Cheers

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:47 pm

Got to give you 10/10 for giving it as long as you did.. :tu:

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Robbie1950
Has liked: 213 times

Post by Robbie1950 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:03 am

Good effort mate. I'm from Altona and used to fish the pier a bit when I didn't have a boat, I always found it to be very slow. Theoretically you should be able to get some nice snapper there when guys are catching them around that location in boats.

StarrangerAU
Has liked: 58 times

Post by StarrangerAU » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:41 am

Robbie1950 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:03 am
Theoretically you should be able to get some nice snapper there when guys are catching them around that location in boats.
Yeah, I was hoping that your theory would hold true.... part of the reason I thought I would give that jetty a go.... alas, not all theories come to fruition. Oh well... could have been worse ways to spend a Sunday morning.

Return to “Williamstown to Werribee”