If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Re: your reel

Post by smokin_reels » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:21 pm

For that sort of money,
id get two combos

a abu veritas 2-4 for soft plastic

a cheaper shimano sienna 4000 combo for bait fishing.
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

PennyWiser

Post by PennyWiser » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:56 pm

Hi there,
Thank you for your feedback, actually, i didn't expect so big attention to my question :D
Fishbref wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:56 pm
They definitely cost their money; all reels do...

No issues with Pflueger reels.
I'll check for some info about them, i think it's not a bad option for the first time, at least.
Seb85 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:18 pm
Generally saying, reel is to store line and has a drag to act as a 'brake'.
The bigger the reel, the more line it can store and more powerful drag. But also heavier.
Similar story with rods. So the rod and reel gotta match.

Also, more of the models than just the brand. Shimano has so many different models and so does other brands. They can range from $40 up to $1000+

Start with that and think what are you gonna use the rod reel for.
If you're going to fish for murray cod that potentially can be 10kg+, then get something like 4000 sized reel to match with 8kg rod.
But if you're fishing for trout around 2lb-6lb, then perhaps a 2500 sized reel to match 2-4 kg rod is enough.
So ideally you have one pair for each type of fishing.

Back to you, what are you intending to use the reel (and rod) for?
We can then give you suggestions and opinions.
First of all, i wanna say thank you for the detailed response. I'm gonna fish inshore, but i really want to try offshore fishing. I want to fish trouts for a while, so i mean i don't need 10 kg rod :D

Good forum, pleasant people, nice to be here!

Blue
Has liked: 35 times

Post by Blue » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:48 pm

Penny, you are right to be cautious and my advice is don,t go heavy.
Lets face facts that you are a beginner and thinking in the 5000 range is way over the need for the fish you are likely to encounter. Someone suggested a 2500 series and I support this, your budget will easily cover a reasonable reel this size and a decent rod to support it.Talk to your local tackle store, explain your needs and I am positive you will get advice to fit your needs AND your budget.
Just take it easy and upgrade at a later date if you need to but don,t over buy now.
Good luck .
Blue
To find a fish
You do the miles.
Catch the fish
and earn the smiles.

Lord,allow me to catch a fish, so large that even I,when speaking of it afterwards.........May have no need to lie !!!

Blue
Has liked: 35 times

Post by Blue » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:00 pm

PS See the comments about rods and reels in SP and Squid topic to see that your budget is achievable.
Blue
To find a fish
You do the miles.
Catch the fish
and earn the smiles.

Lord,allow me to catch a fish, so large that even I,when speaking of it afterwards.........May have no need to lie !!!

PennyWiser

Post by PennyWiser » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:12 pm

Thank you all for your feedbacks! Tomorrow i'll buy one. I'll share :gj:

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:26 am

VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Post by VooDoo » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:01 am

PennyWiser wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:28 pm

Waiting for your feedback. Especially interested in Shimano reels, my dad said that they are not bad. I need more info ;)
I better get in before the evil DW 5 Shades of Purple fellow will tell you otherwise - stick with Shimano!! They are good reels :)

Will pass on a great piece of advice an experienced fisho once told me .... Get the best reel you can afford and look after it - it will save you a lots of monies in the long run.

There's plenty to choose from your budget range of $200-$300. Whichever you choose to buy eventually, look after it well - especially after each trip.

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Post by eddyt » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:51 am

Mattblack wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:26 am
Anaconda has good combo deals...https://www.anacondastores.com/fishing/ ... price-desc
The sedona combo for $99 is really good. I would buy it but I just bought a new one and already have too many reels/rods...

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:24 am

VooDoo wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:01 am

Will pass on a great piece of advice an experienced fisho once told me .... Get the best reel you can afford and look after it - it will save you a lots of monies in the long run.
I have a range of reels, a range of brands AND in a range of price categories. I purchased each reel for a purpose and a budget at the time.

PennyWiser, I'm not going to advice you on which reel to get because that is your choice (BUT more to the point, I have no idea)

What I can say, is ditto part of the advice VooDoo has passed on. What ever you get, look after it well. A reel is only as good as the way it has been looked after.

Most of my reels perform to the "level of disrepair that I neglect them to"

Cheers, Bugatti

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:08 pm

In that price range I'd buy a biomaster 5000. I use one for everything from squid and KGW up to medium ledge spinning, salmon, bait soaking, squid prongs etc.

The Sustain is very light but the bio is comparable and far more durable. It's big, fast and very very light for it's class. I've literally landed everything from tiny squid on a 1.8 jig to a NSW legal kingfish on mine, and I also own the 10k version for heavier work.

Spool it with 12lb Tasline, add 20lb leader and you're set for 99% of anything you're ever going to hook.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”