Is 1/4 Oz jighead too heavy?

ZestyLemon

Is 1/4 Oz jighead too heavy?

Post by ZestyLemon » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:29 pm

Hi guys,
Prett much title, I have been catching fish using 1/4oz, but they happen to only be flatties, I'm thinking it's because it's too heavy and just bombs to the bottom, before other fish can react? I used 8lb braid and 10lb mono leader, would a 1/6th Oz jighead be better?
Cheers

IFISHALOT
Has liked: 38 times

Re: Is 1/4 Oz jighead too heavy?

Post by IFISHALOT » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:41 pm

First Question????
How deep are you fishing

Then are you land based or Boat/Kayak???

What is your intended target species???
Last edited by IFISHALOT on Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Associated with Strike Pro, Jigstar, Daiichi, Lumica, Mapso, Bushranger Lures, Eureka Lures, Senshi, Sax Scent, TiCA, Victory Knives, Tonic Sunglasses & McLaughlin's Bait[url]http://www.jurofishing.com

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Post by croe04 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:45 pm

Rule of thumb is light as possible given the wind and current. I've used 1/4 on plenty of occasions and caught fish, but that was only because it was too windy for me to get good casting distance on a lighter jighead. Lighter jigheads fall slower in the water and give a more natural presentation, so your presumption that your 1/4 is bombing to the bottom and not looking good is correct. Get yourself some 1/12, 1/8 and 1/6 jigheads and use them depending on the aforementioned factors. I'm presuming your fishing LB, when in a boat or a kayak you also have to consider depth. Other guys will be more versed on that than I am. Hopefully you'll get onto more fish.

Cheers

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:07 pm

ZestyLemon wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:29 pm
Hi guys,
Prett much title, I have been catching fish using 1/4oz, but they happen to only be flatties, I'm thinking it's because it's too heavy and just bombs to the bottom, before other fish can react? I used 8lb braid and 10lb mono leader, would a 1/6th Oz jighead be better?
Cheers
like the posts before me I agree it depends on the conditions - depth - drift - tide speed and size of plastic all come into it and by the way I'm not that good on plastics myself
I was fishing yesterday with a couple of pillies out and a burley trail in 15 meters off Daveys Point at anchor there is a light tide flow there - just to keep amused I normal bounce a micro jig or run a light bait rod but instead pulled out a SP and 1/4 oz worked perfectly in the situation on a 3" paddle tail

like yourself I only picked up Flatties but then I was only getting them on my big baits as well

back in shallower water and slow drift ( 6ish meters ) with the same plastic dropped back to 1/12 oz

I dont know if that was any help
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

ronan
Has liked: 91 times

Post by ronan » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:11 pm

I find a 1/6 is perfect for flicking off piers, but if the wind is on switch to a 1/4

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:13 pm

ZestyLemon wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:29 pm
Hi guys,
Cheers
Damm only flatty,s they taste pretty good if pier fishing drop down to a 1/8 it,s a good happy medium weight

ZestyLemon

Post by ZestyLemon » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:39 pm

I'm land based guys, will normally fish the city piers (gem, docklands) and sometimes the Bayside ones

IFISHALOT
Has liked: 38 times

Post by IFISHALOT » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:40 pm

ZestyLemon wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:39 pm
I'm land based guys, will normally fish the city piers (gem, docklands) and sometimes the Bayside ones
If you want to target Bream, Pinkies and the like you should start with Jigheads around 1/12th and 1/16th oz to suit the plastics you are using. Yes 1/4oz is too heavy. I use that weight on Snapper out in the Bay once fishing deeper than 12mt.
Associated with Strike Pro, Jigstar, Daiichi, Lumica, Mapso, Bushranger Lures, Eureka Lures, Senshi, Sax Scent, TiCA, Victory Knives, Tonic Sunglasses & McLaughlin's Bait[url]http://www.jurofishing.com

Return to “Soft Plastics & Lures”