Mornington, Mt Martha, McCrae, Safety Beach, Mt Eliza
Tim399
Has liked: 251 times

Re: Slayer 10 maiden voyage Fishies Beach

Post by Tim399 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:29 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:14 pm
I see, thanks!
I always thought bait fishing was supposed to be as leas disturbance as possible. But what you said makes sense! Get their attention and they'll hit the bait.
I'm assuming paternoster then. Cant think of 'bouncing' on running sinker.
That’s the one - I use paternosters when drifting for flathead, using a swivel sinker?(not sure what they’re called) but I tie a paternoster with twisted dropper loops, then a clip swivel at the bottom so sinkers can be easily changed. This way the rod can be rigged and just select and clip on the required size sinker when you get to the location. I also unclip the sinker when moving spots to avoid it bouncing and wrapping around the rod

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:36 pm

Tim399 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:29 pm
Seb85 wrote:
I see, thanks!
I always thought bait fishing was supposed to be as leas disturbance as possible. But what you said makes sense! Get their attention and they'll hit the bait.
That’s the one - I use paternosters when drifting for flathead, using a swivel sinker?(not sure what they’re called) but I tie a paternoster with twisted dropper loops, then a clip swivel at the bottom so sinkers can be easily changed. This way the rod can be rigged and just select and clip on the required size sinker when you get to the location. I also unclip the sinker when moving spots to avoid it bouncing and wrapping around the rod
Nice tip thanks!
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:16 pm

If anything the ability to cover more ground and add a bit of movement to the bait is a help more than a hindrance. Obviously if you're targeting a particular reef or sand hole then drifting might be more trouble than it's worth because you have to keep re-positioning but otherwise I find it works really well.

Running sinker rigs work fine for drifting.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:02 pm

Tim399 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:29 pm
Seb85 wrote:
I see, thanks!
Just ordered a drift chute. So just attach it to the side handle and that's it I'm assuming.
youdoodle-2019-10-09T15-59-39Z.jpg
youdoodle-2019-10-09T16-15-42Z.jpg

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:06 pm

Pretty much.

If you have an anchor trolley you can slide the chute anywhere along the side of the yak which can be helpful sometimes but if you don’t clipping it to the handle is fine.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Tim399

Post by Tim399 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:04 pm

As Ian said, it can be clipped to the side. I don’t really use a drift chute much in the PA but I used it frequently in my paddle yak, I would connect it to my anchor trolley then position the chute toward the back or the front so I was at a 45 degree to chop so I wasn’t side on to the chop. For me this made things a little more comfortable having the chop running along the hull rather than across it

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:01 pm

Tim399 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:04 pm
As Ian said, it can be clipped to the side. I don’t really use a drift chute much in the PA but I used it frequently in my paddle yak, I would connect it to my anchor trolley then position the chute toward the back or the front so I was at a 45 degree to chop so I wasn’t side on to the chop. For me this made things a little more comfortable having the chop running along the hull rather than across it
Oh true!
My kayak doesn't have anchor trolley :-(
What if I clip the chute onto something just behind the seat. I mean it can be clipped onto anything right. Anchor trolley makes it easier to adjust.

Tim399

Post by Tim399 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:36 pm

That would work out fine, as always keep an eye on the conditions you are fishing in and adjust to suit the conditions :tu:

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:32 pm

You can clip the chute anywhere on the kayak thats secure and wont break off.
Once you use it you will work out where to tie it and how to make good use of it. Position of the chute does matter so you can make the most of it..

Personally drift chutes are an absolute pita.
But it does help slow the drift down..

Return to “Mornington To Dromana”