Electric motor for tinnie

Mustang38
Has liked: 1 time

Electric motor for tinnie

Post by Mustang38 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:44 pm

Hi guys,
just some general advice wanted. My neighbor has a 3.5m tinnie and currently has a 10Hp honda on back. He wants to move away from petrol and carrying heavy motor. They are both retired, older, and don't want to carry heavy motors around with tanks. They are wondering if there is an electric option available. Do any of you guys running electrics have any suggestions regarding sizes of electrics and batteries etc. They dont need to go fast speed is not an option just thinking would it be easier with a smaller electric that may be easier and lighter to carry.
Cheer's
Adrian

Sebb
Has liked: 3019 times

Re: Electric motor for tinnie

Post by Sebb » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:27 pm

I remember I watched a video something like 1 HP equals to 40 lbs or 60 lbs electric motor. So they'll lose a lot of speed.
Also, electric motor uses the power from the battery constantly, means need a big battery if they're gonna use electric motor only.
Depends on the lbs of the electric motor, the higher the more power it uses, means need bigger battery. AGM deep cycle battery that is, and they're heavy as.

Don't really want to be stranded with flat battery.

To me, electric motor is a sidekick of a petrol motor (on a boat that is, fine for kayak).
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

saph
Has liked: 4 times

Post by saph » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:44 pm

Im going with what seb said even tho i dont own a boat plus with batterys remeber they hate going flat more so deep cycle below 50% the only battery that could handle the demands of a eletric is lithium but thats over 1k per battery plus chargers (they go up alot more powerfuly remeber tesla's issues with theirs catching on that's the type of fire these cause on that scale). Maybe see if they can go down to a 5hp motor yes there will be speed loss you gain weight reduction, i found this http://seasport.com.au/honda-5hp-tiller ... -outboard/ you gain a 15kg weight reduction for only 5hp loss. Now again im no boat expert but im going off what i know in weight removal and the 5hp seems decent since thats nearly a bag of cement reduction.

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:58 pm

Dont think its a feasible option with a lot of cons associated with it sorry mate. tend to agree with posts so far - main thought i had was how big and heavy of a battery you'd potentially need for decent distance in a trip out of an electric on a charge (by which i mean upto 50% or so discharge over a trip) - or how expensive if you went a large lithium battery.

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:04 pm

If they can fix multiple batteries in their tinny - it could be an option - but theyd obviously have set-up costs to do that. Id guess youd need a 60lb electric, and maybe 3+ 100ah+ batteries to give you a capacity of around 9hrs usage/power on hand to run it. If its a bow mount, youd get better efficiency due to it pulling rather than pushing the boqt

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:06 pm

They should get a 2 stroke outboard.

Much lighter ie a 8Hp 2 stroke is about half the weight.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:25 pm

The battery needed for that sort of thing would weigh a ton unless they want to drop a grand on a huge lithium battery. I’d stick with the petrol motor.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

russellh2

Post by russellh2 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:26 pm

Interesting topic - I own a 2017 15hp MERCURY 2 Stroke - Pull Start and am in the process of fitting Electronic components which can be used to charge my battery as well as power my Garmin Fish finder and navigation lights. Components required - Light Coil ( Standard in this Motor ) Plus a Rectifier - can be purchased to suit - fitment per instructions supplied. I am retired 70+ and cannot lift my motor so I leave it attached to the hull - Bolted through transom and clamp legs tightened so they align then a padlock through both, leave the fuel tank in boat but disconnect from motor - boat is stored in garage out of sight - padlocked and chained to steel post inside garage. Look at all your options before spending big bucks - Talk to your Honda Dealer as well as review comments in this forum - some really good advice available - Good Luck

Mustang38

Post by Mustang38 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:14 pm

Thanks guys. That is excellent. Lots of different veiws and some good point along with great advice. Thanks too all who took time to post much appreciated .
Regards
Adrian

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:43 am

Mustang38 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:14 pm
Thanks guys. That is excellent. Lots of different veiws and some good point along with great advice. Thanks too all who took time to post much appreciated .
Regards
Adrian

Adrian, I found this thread interesting, as I have very little idea about electric motors for boats. I'm more of an "overkill" kind of guy when it comes to battery power but that could be needless.

If you can let us know what your neighbours go with, I would appreciate it as it seems they are taking a more conservative approach (as I would as well). So would be nice to find out, thanks.

Cheers, Bill

Return to “Boating”