What is the white spot in silver whiting

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: What is the white spot in silver whiting

Post by Lightningx » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:47 pm

smile0784 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:20 pm
I mite get 1 from aldo
I didn’t get mine from Aldi, but I heard the ones from
There aren’t bad at all :P

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:56 pm

Jason trust me, if you plan on eating fish months later, just get a vac seal machine. You will never regret it mate :)

John Dory

Post by John Dory » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:10 pm

Yeah I vac seal fillets, sometimes bait.
Jas you should of used that silver whiting for snapper bait.

Ludovic66

Post by Ludovic66 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:12 pm

Jasonfish1234 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:13 pm
Lightningx wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:53 pm
Jasonfish1234 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:31 pm
I'm about to cook I take the the fish Regroupement de prêt immo out from freezer and find the White spot on otherside of the fish. It safe to eat
You got a pic of it mate?
I already throw in the bin
BOnjour, I think I did not understand, can I know more if possible?

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:12 am

Lightningx wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:56 pm
Jason trust me, if you plan on eating fish months later, just get a vac seal machine. You will never regret it mate :)
Hey LX do the vacuum sealed bags stop freezer burn ?
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:26 am

hornet wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:12 am
Lightningx wrote:
Well I usually eat my fish within the first month or 2 after vac sealing them mate.
I have never had freezer burn from any of the batches of fish I have brought out and eaten in that time :)

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:36 am

Lightningx wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:26 am
hornet wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
Well I usually eat my fish within the first month or 2 after vac sealing them mate.
I have never had freezer burn from any of the batches of fish I have brought out and eaten in that time :)

I don't keep my fish for a month so the bags wont help me I guess, after a trip the fish are all eaten in that week ! LOL
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Tim399
Has liked: 258 times

Post by Tim399 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:27 am

I buy good quality bait in bulk, then vacc seal them in quantities I would use in a single trip. This keeps the bait in good condition for a long time. Fish I catch, I eat straight away or vacc seal and share with my family rather than freezing. Another bonus of vacc sealing fish is it stops the odour from stinking out the freezer

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:43 pm

hornet wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
Gday Hornet! I could be wrong, but from my understanding and experience, in order to avoid freezer burn, avoid contact with freezer floors/walls. It is the contact that creates the burn. Wrapping an air-sealed bag in something like newspaper for example, can assist to create enough insulation to avoid such issues.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:25 pm

Redhunter wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:43 pm
hornet wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
Gday Hornet! I could be wrong, but from my understanding and experience, in order to avoid freezer burn, avoid contact with freezer floors/walls. It is the contact that creates the burn. Wrapping an air-sealed bag in something like newspaper for example, can assist to create enough insulation to avoid such issues.

Not sure Red about the "Contact Burn" thing, it must be something as you have experienced it, so would be interesting why and what that is.

But Freezer burn , , , , as found on page 43 of "The Book of Bugatti" , , , , it is written :

"Freezer burn happens when moisture in the outer layers of the food evaporates into the freezer air, leaving behind empty “dry” pockets in the tissue of the food"

Hence, with vac sealed fish, no air , , , , minimal freezer burn. I think the fish can still dehydrate within a sealed bag as the moisture moves out from the surface , , , , the ice around frozen fish sealed is evidence of that , , , , but granted it takes months and months for that to even start to happen in a sealed bag.

Oddly enough, when we started cleaning squid with a scaling bag, then packed them as we always have, straight into freezer bags rolled into tight logs (with still some residual air in the rolled bag log), the amount of freezer burn was dramatically reduced. So squid that only saw sea water kept better , , , , not sure if it is the salt content on the surface that increases the freezing and that has something to do with it.

Now Red, as found on page 70 of "The Book of Bugatti" , , , , it is written :

"If you have Contact Burn due to the fish touching the freezer wall , , , , you have too much fish and should offload some to Bugatti." :-D

Cheers, Bugz

Return to “General”