Rock life

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
John Dory

Re: Rock life

Post by John Dory » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:46 pm

Im keen to do more rock fishing. It’s hard to get time to go on missions to find spots and work it all out though. Keep posting mate, it’s interesting stuff.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:58 pm

I’ve done a bit of rock fishing with my mate in the past.
Be prepared to do a bit of walking to get to some of these great spots. Best to pack lightly. Learnt the hard way :)

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:35 pm

Nice mate keep it coming been looking for the read after one of your post,s the other day .I have the messiah as well great rod,s

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:02 pm

Now Dougie has some very good safety advice
BUT the rock climbing is fake
Doug (soon to be World Champion) real name is Shintaro & therefore he just leaps to where he wants to be.
My proof is that Doug & Carl were caught eating salmon straight out of the water, not even soy sauce
Would I lie to you
Gra

Keenfisho

Post by Keenfisho » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:36 pm

I think the unknown of what’s bellow the big blue water is what draws me in. I’m in my early 30’s with a wife and kids and a mortgage so another thing that draws me in is the adventure of chucking the camping gear in the car roughing it for a few days and really getting away from it all. Although my 5 year old daughter tells me she’s just about old enough to come with me

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:26 pm

Keenfisho wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:36 pm
I think the unknown of what’s bellow the big blue water is what draws me in. I’m in my early 30’s with a wife and kids and a mortgage so another thing that draws me in is the adventure of chucking the camping gear in the car roughing it for a few days and really getting away from it all. Although my 5 year old daughter tells me she’s just about old enough to come with me
A few years ago (ok many) the kids were 10 & 7 we went to the Mitchell river outside Nagambi
We were invaded by bogong moths, my 10yo daughter hid in her tent, my son used a torch to collect them for bait.
Yes it was a great trip
Gra

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:48 am

You're a legend Dougie!

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:56 pm

Great post Doug. This is what this site is all about. :a_goodjob:

Best Wishes

Truedogz

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:31 pm

Love your work Doug!

Anth

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:49 am

Hey guys,

Thank you all for the kind words.

I havne't really done any serious fishing for the last six months for a soon to be revealed purpose, so things like this actually help me to scratch that itch a little bit.

I will try to respond to all the posts over the next week or so, i'm flying internationally tomorrow and will be back mid september, but I think i'll have plenty of time (and no fishing for a fortnight!) to get through some posts if the wifi is any good where we're going.
Keenfisho wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:13 pm
Hey Dougie, Glad you brought this subject up as I am always craving more info on rock fishing. Long time stalker of your post’s on LBG which have been amazing. Loved the one of your big trip up the coast last year or was it the year before? Always had a good interest in rock fishing growing up as a kid but I really caught the bug probably 2 years ago now. Spent a lot of last summer chasing my first king up the nsw south coast but never tangled with one.I’m from Gippsland and the season we had here maybe I should of stayed home but anyway super keen to try and tackle one this season. Your help for us new fellas has been great thanks :thumbsup:
In my opinion most people over complicate the king fish. By far the most effective thing we've done is float a little squid strip 2m under a kmart float. I see all sorts of rigs and baits and lures and ideas get thrown around but probably 75% of my kings have come like this, with another solid chunk from live yakkas if you can get them.

Try not to cast too far, a lot of the hookups have come within 5 metres of the ledge. Find the white water and sit your float or balloon just past the edge of it. Do the drag all the way up except for the last quarter turn, Kingy will dive straight into the ledge when it realises it's in trouble.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 91

Longtail : 1

Return to “General”