Snapper fishing may be banned for three years in SA

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Snapper fishing may be banned for three years in SA

Post by purple5ive » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:17 am

Lightningx wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:53 am
Well that means it’s good news for us over here then :)
lets hope so hahaha, last season was bad is what i heard..
but if bad means not bagging out on every trip, then it wont be long before we suffer the same fate as SA .
i hope that with the Ban on netting in the bays, along with the continued support of the fisheries (shellfish reef restoration, artifical reefs and the likes) that the snapper fishing will be good locally for years to come.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:29 am

frozenpod wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:59 am
It is very clear there is massive issues in SA. So much for the self pro claimed best managed fishery in Australia.

Kimtown wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:35 am
I've been told snapper from WA and SA go all the way to the west side of the prom, where as the snapper from the NSW and QLD follow the EAC to the east side of the prom, and neither pass.

To me it doesn't really make sense as Melbourne's snapper don't really have the large crown like SA snapper, but if it's true, Western Vic to the Prom snapper fishing should increase tenfold you would think.

There is some mixing but not heaps.

Snapper caught either side of the prom certainly are slightly different.

I think one of the reasons for the decline in SA is more snapper staying in VIC rather than migrating back. But on top of this there are big issues with SA that need to be delt with. IE prawn trawling on the spawning grounds.

In recent years there a lot more winter reds around in VIC.
So I'm interpreting this as the habitat over in SA is this issue and not overfishing of a specific species?

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:56 am

If the harvest is unsustainable pull the reigns in simple.

dmck
Has liked: 36 times

Post by dmck » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:11 am

"It is very clear there is massive issues in SA. So much for the self pro claimed best managed fishery in Australia."

AS a very keen snapper fisherman living in Adelaide and mostly fishing lower Yorke Peninsula, it is the fisheries management people that made that claim, and it was voiced by the then minister.
Fisher-folk have known and voiced the truth for a number of years.
OUr snapper fishery has been over fished by interstate/international BIG long liners, our gulfs have been damaged by bottom trawling, and our successive govts done appear to understand that rec fishing is a huge business to regional economies.

I went to my favourite snapper spot about 2 months ago, I used to regularly get 5-6 reasonable snapper (around 45cm), I have only caught 4 in the last 2 years. None last trip... and no sign of other fish species... none... where I used to get tommies(herring), garfish, gummy shark, dog shark, skates and rays, samson fish, trevally, sweep, whiting, leather jackets,squid, mackerel.... and a few others. To see none... and not lose a bait in over 5 hours.... is very very worrying.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:19 am

That’s very sad to hear mate. I can see how you would be very worried about this!

Sebb
Has liked: 3020 times

Post by Sebb » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:33 am

dmck wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:11 am
"It is very clear there is massive issues in SA. So much for the self pro claimed best managed fishery in Australia."

AS a very keen snapper fisherman living in Adelaide and mostly fishing lower Yorke Peninsula, it is the fisheries management people that made that claim, and it was voiced by the then minister.
Fisher-folk have known and voiced the truth for a number of years.
OUr snapper fishery has been over fished by interstate/international BIG long liners, our gulfs have been damaged by bottom trawling, and our successive govts done appear to understand that rec fishing is a huge business to regional economies.

I went to my favourite snapper spot about 2 months ago, I used to regularly get 5-6 reasonable snapper (around 45cm), I have only caught 4 in the last 2 years. None last trip... and no sign of other fish species... none... where I used to get tommies(herring), garfish, gummy shark, dog shark, skates and rays, samson fish, trevally, sweep, whiting, leather jackets,squid, mackerel.... and a few others. To see none... and not lose a bait in over 5 hours.... is very very worrying.
Wow, sounds very concerning. Not aware of that.
Hope the govt finally gonna do something before its too late and no more fish (or maybe already too late?)
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

John Dory

Post by John Dory » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:13 pm

I think legal size should be upped in vic and bag limits looked at also. More people fishing, more fish caught, less fish in the water.
Quick maths.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:38 pm

John Dory wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:13 pm
I think legal size should be upped in vic and bag limits looked at also. More people fishing, more fish caught, less fish in the water.
Quick maths.
I wouldn't be opposed to that. I don't even bother with flathead unless they are a good 4 or 5cm over their size limit. Can't remember the last time I 'bagged out' or even came close to it either. It's pretty much greed at that point but each to their own.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:26 pm

We bag out every trip for flathead and keep and eat them all.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:28 pm

John Dory wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:13 pm
Quick maths.
No the pro buyout has already reallocated the resource to the extra rec fishos.

Also many of the extra rec fishos are fishing in freshwater.

The key to the success of snapper numbers is successful recruitment ie good spawning.

Return to “General”