How to prepare and cook your catch.
Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Re: Olives for the Salad

Post by Texas » Thu May 09, 2019 7:39 pm

gregmaka wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 7:00 pm
Texas wrote: ↑Thu May 09, 2019 2:07 pm
I love olives, but I'm the only one in the family (mate says it's because I'm a Brunswick boy)
A lot of trees have been planted around here in recent years
And yes, people come home from work and find their trees bare
I buy already processed olives, can you eat them straight off the tree????

Born & bred in the largest Greek community outside Athens

I thought Italion was the bigger population in Brunswick,as my parent's live there, how i ended living in Werribee i don't remember. Nice quarter acre blocks on Blyth st.
Your parents are in East Brunswick, I'm a West Brunswick boy.
Plenty of Greek, Italian and Turkish, in my day (I'm 65 soon)
I've still got mates (from school) who's (recent) heritage is North of Australia
What I learnt - Don't care where you're from, don't care what your religion is, don't care what colour you are, if you're a nice person, we can be mates
UNLESS - your a bream fisherman :tongue:
Cheers Gra

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Thu May 09, 2019 7:43 pm

meppstas wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 7:21 pm
Time consuming Bill but always well worth the effort.. :thumbsup:
Just love black & green olives, especially in a salad.. A friend of mine who lives at American River on Kangaroo Island always picked & preserved olives from the trees that grow wild over there..

cheers
Adrian
Love Kangaroo Island, Adrian (you from there ?)
Took the kids on the ferry, stayed in farm houses & took guided tours (rangers)
Seal bay (?) grouse
Cheers Gra

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Thu May 09, 2019 11:26 pm

Texas wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 7:43 pm
meppstas wrote:
Just love black & green olives, especially in a salad.. A friend of mine who lives at American River on Kangaroo Island always picked & preserved olives from the trees that grow wild over there..

cheers
Adrian
Seal bay (?) grouse
Cheers Gra
No Gra, from Sellicks Beach which is South of Adelaide on the way to Cape Jervis where the KI Sealink ferry crosses to the Island... for the last 15 years of my working life I traveled to KI once a month as a timber sales rep, used to spend four days catching up with builders on the Island on Thurs & Friday then spent two days fishing before heading back on the ferry late on the Sunday..
Beautiful place it is, loved going there, still keep in touch with a few of them too..
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

GusG
Has liked: 41 times

Post by GusG » Fri May 10, 2019 8:08 am

I've always wondered if sea water would be salty enough to brine the olives. The idea of constantly having to prepare salted water and keep changing it seems very tedious and thus I default to bought olives.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Tue May 14, 2019 10:18 am

meppstas wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:26 pm
Texas wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 7:43 pm
meppstas wrote:

cheers
Adrian
Seal bay (?) grouse
Cheers Gra
No Gra, from Sellicks Beach which is South of Adelaide on the way to Cape Jervis where the KI Sealink ferry crosses to the Island... for the last 15 years of my working life I traveled to KI once a month as a timber sales rep, used to spend four days catching up with builders on the Island on Thurs & Friday then spent two days fishing before heading back on the ferry late on the Sunday..
Beautiful place it is, loved going there, still keep in touch with a few of them too..
cheers
Adrian

Some great produce on Kangaroo Island too, Adrian. Nice to hear that your mate takes advantage of it and makes his own olives. Apparently KI has some of the most unique tasting versions of everyday table produce. Their Oils, Honeys and Cheeses are just a few.

Yes, I agree, it is a great part of the world. Only been there once and regret that I haven't been back.

Cheers, Bugatti

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Tue May 14, 2019 10:22 am

GusG wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:08 am
I've always wondered if sea water would be salty enough to brine the olives. The idea of constantly having to prepare salted water and keep changing it seems very tedious and thus I default to bought olives.

I have always wondered that too Gus.

The brined water is boiled to kill off any "bacteria germs etc"to stop it going off, as they keep for a few years. I'd say the Sea Water is salty enough but the impurities would discount it.

Plus , , , , fish pee & poop in Sea Water , , , , eewww ;-)

Cheers, Bugatti

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Thu May 30, 2019 12:42 am

Well, the Rock Salted Olives took longer than I thought , , , , well not until I realised some days later that I hadn't put enough salt in the barrels.

These 4 barrels had the olives and salt , , , , rolled over every day and the water drained too

olives 1.PNG
olives 1.PNG (268.46 KiB) Viewed 2936 times

One load of rinsed and strained olives , , , , sorry can't talk, more rinsing of olives to do

olives 2.PNG

Olives spread out to dry for a day , , , , then bagged

olives 3.PNG

About 70 kilos of olives , , , , some for family & friends , , , ,and some for my freezer , , , , they all say my olives are the best in the world , , , , which they have learnt, is the best thing to say (if they believe it or not) to stay on next years list :-D

Cheers, Bug

gregmaka
Has liked: 97 times

Post by gregmaka » Thu May 30, 2019 2:35 am

They look mate,my father makes good one's too.By the way are all from your trees.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu May 30, 2019 9:03 am

That’s a lot of olives Bill!
Looks like it’s a supply to last quite some time!
I’m sure your friends and family will be very happy to receive some :)
Nicely done.
Cheers :a_goodjob:

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Thu May 30, 2019 10:12 am

Bugatti wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 12:42 am
Well, the Rock Salted Olives took longer than I thought , , , , well not until I realised some days later that I hadn't put enough salt in the barrels.

These 4 barrels had the olives and salt , , , , rolled over every day and the water drained too

olives 1.PNG

One load of rinsed and strained olives , , , , sorry can't talk, more rinsing of olives to do

olives 2.PNG

Olives spread out to dry for a day , , , , then bagged

olives 3.PNG

About 70 kilos of olives , , , , some for family & friends , , , ,and some for my freezer , , , , they all say my olives are the best in the world , , , , which they have learnt, is the best thing to say (if they believe it or not) to stay on next years list :-D

Cheers, Bug
Hey Bug, i think Aus Post parcel delivery is only $7 for up to 500g. Mind to send me a sample of your delicious olives? :-D
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Return to “Fish Recipes and Preparation”