How do you "read" a river

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
poppy62
Has liked: 2 times

How do you "read" a river

Post by poppy62 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:15 pm

This may sound simple to some but if you go to a river for the first time, what do you look for ????. How do you find the best location (most fish-able), how to locate a deep hole, are sharp bends best place to fish etc...

Cheers

drew 2

Re: How do you "read" a river

Post by drew 2 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:16 pm

Most holes will be on the outside of a bend,if there is a sand bar on the inside quite often there will be a hole or steep drop off on the downstream side of it,water swirling around or appearing to flow "upstream". In straight sections of the river look for water that looks like it is "boiling up" that will indicate the downstream side of a hole,as the water flows along it drops down the hole,when it gets to the other end it has to rise again,giving the appearance that it is "boiling" on the surface as the water is forced upwards.The appearance of eddys/vortex can sometimes indicate the start of a hole as the water drops down,it can also be large submerged timber disturbing the water.
Timber lying into the water from the bank is another thing to keep an eye out for,take note of the angle it is into the water on,a large girth tree that is on a steep angle into the water can often indicate a good hole.So to can steep or sheer banks.
b3.jpg
This is a large tree that is on quite a steep angle into the water,indicating a fairly deep hole,fishing upstream and letting your bait drift back under is a good way to catch a big lazy cod by dangling a feed right in his face.
b3.jpg (99.3 KiB) Viewed 3805 times

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:49 pm

Great reply drew

Murlz
Has liked: 60 times

Post by Murlz » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:10 pm

ducky wrote:Great reply drew

X2 :thumbsup:
Murlz
“I have fished through fishless days that I remember happily without regret.”

poppy62

Post by poppy62 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:28 pm

thanks... depending on what river you fished and how fast its running would you prefer to fish the inside of the bend or the outside?

VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Post by VooDoo » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:28 pm

Murlz wrote:
ducky wrote:Great reply drew

X2 :thumbsup:
X 3 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

Jeffs_gone_fishing

Post by Jeffs_gone_fishing » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:03 pm

Great tips from Drew. Another thing to look for would be overhanging tree/branches which provides cover for the fish. End of rapids/ripples will normally have deep holes. The beginning/head and the tail/end of a pool are good spots for fish, they will normally station themselves waiting for tasty morsels to be delivered to them at these spots with out having to expend too much energy.

boosta

Post by boosta » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:14 pm

Overhangs are good spots to cast into as they provide the fish with cover. Getting a lure right under an overhanging tree root has caught me plenty of trout.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:42 am

Depends on a lot of things. What the geology of the river is (rocky/silted up/natural mud bottom etc.), the natural annual flow of water, any recent flooding that can and does change the river often significantly and most important, what fish species you're targeting. A Trout has different habits to a native.

poppy62

Post by poppy62 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:05 am

cobby,
Is a case of how to read in general. 99% of my fishing has been in saltwater so not much knowledge when comes to freshwater. Was asking because have some time up my sleeve at moment due to illness & a friend has offered me his van up at Torrumbarry if i want to use it :) so if i take up his offer i'd be somewhere in the Gunbower Forest and it would be good to know what to look for in regards to where would be likely spots to fish.
Cheers.

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”