Any okay spots near the Brunswick area?

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
benjaminb
Has liked: 20 times

Any okay spots near the Brunswick area?

Post by benjaminb » Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:35 pm

Hey everyone,

I just moved to Brunswick from Gippsland and am looking for some new places to go fishing nearby. I love targeting trout and redfin/bass with soft plastics and hardbodies so I'm open to anything.

I know people catch fish out of estates but I'm completely lost of where to even start looking and am dying for a fish. I was going to check out Merri Creek near Coburg but it sounds like there's only carp and eels living in there.

I'm planning on checking out Albert Park Lake soon but does anyone else have some spots or even river names that I can check out and are a bit closer?

Thanks a bunch!

Ben

Sebb
Has liked: 2997 times

Re: Any okay spots near the Brunswick area?

Post by Sebb » Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:42 pm

benjaminb wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:35 pm
Hey everyone,

I just moved to Brunswick from Gippsland and am looking for some new places to go fishing nearby. I love targeting trout and redfin/bass with soft plastics and hardbodies so I'm open to anything.

I know people catch fish out of estates but I'm completely lost of where to even start looking and am dying for a fish. I was going to check out Merri Creek near Coburg but it sounds like there's only carp and eels living in there.

I'm planning on checking out Albert Park Lake soon but does anyone else have some spots or even river names that I can check out and are a bit closer?

Thanks a bunch!

Ben
You're right about carp in Merri.
Albert park is pretty good.
Then you have the metro salt/estuary in the yarra, nong, and docklands.
For other freshwater species, you gotta drive a bit.
How far are you willing to travel?
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

benjaminb

Post by benjaminb » Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:33 pm

Sebb wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:42 pm
Hey Sebb, thanks for your reply!

That's a shame, ideally anything around 30 minutes would be great, under an hour would still be pretty good too though.

I'm open to getting into saltwater stuff if the spots are closer? I just love getting out there and flicking a lure around, I don't really mind what variety of water there is.

From a quick scan of Google Maps it looks like there isn't anything that close pond wise for redfin, am I right about that? I figure redfin are probably the most widely available freshwater fish around.

I'm absolutely railing off the questions here but do you have any tips for Albert Park? I've seen grubs work well just fishing them along the bank and through sand patches, will that do the trick?

Sebb
Has liked: 2997 times

Post by Sebb » Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:40 pm

benjaminb wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:33 pm
Sebb wrote:

That's a shame, ideally anything around 30 minutes would be great, under an hour would still be pretty good too though.

I'm open to getting into saltwater stuff if the spots are closer? I just love getting out there and flicking a lure around, I don't really mind what variety of water there is.

From a quick scan of Google Maps it looks like there isn't anything that close pond wise for redfin, am I right about that? I figure redfin are probably the most widely available freshwater fish around.

I'm absolutely railing off the questions here but do you have any tips for Albert Park? I've seen grubs work well just fishing them along the bank and through sand patches, will that do the trick?
I think there's redfin in Nong around Keilor and kororoit creek around Brimbank but not a lot. Melton reservoir definitely has a lot of reddies.
Werribee river used to have some reddies but not anymore.

There's also Caulfield racecourse park that has small lake stocked with trout. Used to have some reddies, unsure now. Carp too.
And karkarook park lake in Moorabin used to have a lot of reddies, not anymore. Stocked with trout too. That place always gets hammered by the white bucket army.

Albert park is very weedy all the way to the surface and about 1.5-2m deep flat throughout. Has EPs, yellowbellies and trout, and carp ofc. There's patchy areas where you can cast (no weed or the weed isn't all the way to the top), also often there's a gap between the concrete bank and where the weed starts.
Use a shallow dive hardbodies and fish the weed, or cranks, suspending, or plastic with 1/16 jighead with slow constant retrieve skimming above the weed or fish the gap along the concrete edges with plastic in mid water, or suspending hardbodies. Surface lure might work too.

Fish day time is okay if it's cloudy, and drizzling. If its clear sky, fish super early or late evening into the night.

And just cover areas. Cast and cast and walk and cast. It's pretty featureless place tbh. I get bored quickly there, lol.

Yarra upstream of yarra glen may have reddies.
Upstream of woori yallock holds trout. But that's like 1hr+ drive.

Salt wise, there's heaps of options. Port Melb's webb dock, princess pier, lagoon pier, kerferd road pier, warmies, docks, nong, city yarra, etc.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

benjaminb

Post by benjaminb » Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:15 am

Sebb wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:40 pm
benjaminb wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:33 pm
Sebb wrote:

I think there's redfin in Nong around Keilor and kororoit creek around Brimbank but not a lot. Melton reservoir definitely has a lot of reddies.
Werribee river used to have some reddies but not anymore.

There's also Caulfield racecourse park that has small lake stocked with trout. Used to have some reddies, unsure now. Carp too.
And karkarook park lake in Moorabin used to have a lot of reddies, not anymore. Stocked with trout too. That place always gets hammered by the white bucket army.

Albert park is very weedy all the way to the surface and about 1.5-2m deep flat throughout. Has EPs, yellowbellies and trout, and carp ofc. There's patchy areas where you can cast (no weed or the weed isn't all the way to the top), also often there's a gap between the concrete bank and where the weed starts.
Use a shallow dive hardbodies and fish the weed, or cranks, suspending, or plastic with 1/16 jighead with slow constant retrieve skimming above the weed or fish the gap along the concrete edges with plastic in mid water, or suspending hardbodies. Surface lure might work too.

Fish day time is okay if it's cloudy, and drizzling. If its clear sky, fish super early or late evening into the night.

And just cover areas. Cast and cast and walk and cast. It's pretty featureless place tbh. I get bored quickly there, lol.

Yarra upstream of yarra glen may have reddies.
Upstream of woori yallock holds trout. But that's like 1hr+ drive.

Salt wise, there's heaps of options. Port Melb's webb dock, princess pier, lagoon pier, kerferd road pier, warmies, docks, nong, city yarra, etc.
Haha beautiful, thanks heaps for the tips and info! I reckon I'll go to Albert Park and then try docklands out if all else fails. Happy fishing!

Russell Harris
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Russell Harris » Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:07 pm

Get a Map of Melbourne and then Google "Angling Clubs Melbourne" or "Fishing Clubs Melbourne" and you will find Clubs in:- Brunswick / Preston / Coburg / Essendon etc, - Contact whoever you want too, suggest more than one, and explain your situation. New Members are usually welcome. I was Secretary of the Brunswick City Angling Club for 9 years back in the 70's / 80's who own Club Houses in Eildon as well as on Philip Island - Good luck.

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”