Nagambie Advice

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
laoganma
Has liked: 3 times

Nagambie Advice

Post by laoganma » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:16 pm

Hi everyone, me again.

Am probably going to spend a couple of days at Nagambie in mid-September, looking to catch some natives.

Unfortunately I’m pretty much clueless when it comes to freshwater fishing and would appreciate any advice for my trip.

General locations to focus on, recommended lures, anything helps! Like I said I would love to get my hands on some yellowbelly or even a cod.

Thanks in advance.

Sebb
Has liked: 2997 times

Re: Nagambie Advice

Post by Sebb » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:36 pm

Anywhere in the lake and river is good. I've caught cod and yellowbelly both the lake and the river.
Check out murray cod closed season before you target them.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

fisho999
Has liked: 531 times

Post by fisho999 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:41 pm

mate, im guessing you're talking about lake Nagambie, which is quite challenging to fish. natives are cod and yellas, so you'll be using lures most of the time. do you have a boat? if so go right up to the structure and fish it with some diving lures, or spinner baits, the old mates and jjs stump jumpers work well. if it gets into the evening or if it's early in the morning use some topwaters and cast at snags, just don't get them snagged! if your casting from the shore then just walk along the shore, casting at the snags. for bait fishing, use a running sinker rig, spinning rods work best with a 9-kilo braid and a 15-kilo mono leader if your planning on catching a biggin'. The best baits are Bardi grubs and worms, you can buy them but they can be expensive. so if you can I recommend catching your own bait. just remember it's winter so the cod are a bit slow to bite.

good luck mate.

laoganma

Post by laoganma » Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:00 pm

fisho999 wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:41 pm
mate, im guessing you're talking about lake Nagambie, which is quite challenging to fish. natives are cod and yellas, so you'll be using lures most of the time. do you have a boat? if so go right up to the structure and fish it with some diving lures, or spinner baits, the old mates and jjs stump jumpers work well. if it gets into the evening or if it's early in the morning use some topwaters and cast at snags, just don't get them snagged! if your casting from the shore then just walk along the shore, casting at the snags. for bait fishing, use a running sinker rig, spinning rods work best with a 9-kilo braid and a 15-kilo mono leader if your planning on catching a biggin'. The best baits are Bardi grubs and worms, you can buy them but they can be expensive. so if you can I recommend catching your own bait. just remember it's winter so the cod are a bit slow to bite.

good luck mate.
Thanks for the detailed advice; I really appreciate it!

fisho999

Post by fisho999 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:11 pm

all good mate, I'm rural so if you need any advice for rural waters like this I'm here for you.

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:03 pm

It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

laoganma

Post by laoganma » Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:36 pm

Looks like I'll get some smaller hard bodies and go for the yellowbellies; I totally forgot about the cod closed season!

fisho999

Post by fisho999 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:54 am

yeah mate, it's a bit annoying but you have to obey the rules. what outfit are you thinking of taking for the yellow belly?

laoganma

Post by laoganma » Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:47 pm

I’m just gonna have to make do with my 3-5kg spinning rod; I just bought some size 2 stumpjumpers and will also bring my soft plastics (and bait on another rod) so I’ve got a pretty good spread.

laoganma

Post by laoganma » Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:14 pm

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update! Got here in the morning, fished all day, no dice sadly. I mainly tried around the Weir and all I caught were some snags and some lost lures.

Will start from Majors Creek reserve tomorrow, and drive my way upwards to around Chinamans Bridge before eventually arriving back in Nagambie and trying the lake. Wish me luck.

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”