Carp Diem

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Carp Diem

Post by sloth » Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:11 pm

I’m kind of the same opinion Nude Up. The UK scene really is all about the commercial lakes and day tickets. Fishing to expensive stocked fish which were raised on pellets and boilies and who are repeatedly C&R is a fair way away from fishing for wild carp. I reckon we are more like the US scene - they tend to be more pack baits and circles or hair rigs.

Hair rigs kind of make sense given it’s more about being designed for their anatomy and how they feed rather than the fact they are fussy. I got some in the post today so will give them a whirl … plastic sweetcorn too … does that count as a lure :)
54A47C9C-E705-41B1-A859-1483640D08BD.jpeg

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:03 pm

I was in the garage today here are the rods I have 2 10 ft ledger rods one 11 ft ledger rod ledger fishing is is with a weight on the bottom
A 12 ft and a 15 ft float rod
Great days I used to fish exford weir before nightshifts catching carp by the ton.
Attachments
16334209804971.jpg
16334209622150.jpg

canned_tuna
Has liked: 15 times

Post by canned_tuna » Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:23 pm

Seeing those wagglers brings back many memories for me. All I have left are my lead plummets and slingshot and the float rod. I think its a 12 ft abu garcia zircon from memory

sloth

Post by sloth » Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:31 pm

That takes me back …. Haven’t heard ledger fishing for ages …. I started off on small game ponds ledgering and float fishing for rainbows. There was a series of ponds on the edge of town run by the Furness fishing association - one was a stocked game pond (called “Nigel”) which was stocked with rainbows but the other two were coarse ponds - mainly pike, perch, carp and bream (the UK “breem”, not our “brim”). As a kid, coarse was just too weird and complicated lol. Ledgering worms or putting corn under float for trout got me started and that flowed into fly fishing eventually. If we weren’t at the ponds we were night shore fishing on the coast with big 12ft fibreglass beach rods and pulling in flounders, bass and cod. We used to get up before light, strap the rods to the push bikes and pedal a couple of miles over bloody big hills to get to the dunes and ponds. At times we were out of the house before first light and didn’t return to well after dark, no mobile phones, out in the middle of nowhere - amazing that my parents let me really lol, I worry about my kids going around the corner to the park.

4liters

Post by 4liters » Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:39 pm

I might start heading back to the carp murderhole after work now we have a bit of daylight
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:56 pm

sloth wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:31 pm
That takes me back …. Haven’t heard ledger fishing for ages …. I started off on small game ponds ledgering and float fishing for rainbows. There was a series of ponds on the edge of town run by the Furness fishing association - one was a stocked game pond (called “Nigel”) which was stocked with rainbows but the other two were coarse ponds - mainly pike, perch, carp and bream (the UK “breem”, not our “brim”). As a kid, coarse was just too weird and complicated lol. Ledgering worms or putting corn under float for trout got me started and that flowed into fly fishing eventually. If we weren’t at the ponds we were night shore fishing on the coast with big 12ft fibreglass beach rods and pulling in flounders, bass and cod. We used to get up before light, strap the rods to the push bikes and pedal a couple of miles over bloody big hills to get to the dunes and ponds. At times we were out of the house before first light and didn’t return to well after dark, no mobile phones, out in the middle of nowhere - amazing that my parents let me really lol, I worry about my kids going around the corner to the park.
I started fishing in the canals around Manchester and in the ponds that Hitler made on his way home when it was too foggy to find their targets.

sloth

Post by sloth » Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:27 pm

Haha - great!

Manchester was our closest “big” city. A fancy day out was a train trip, a visit to the Arndale Centre and fish and chips in BHS :)

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:06 pm

Nude up wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:03 pm
I was in the garage today here are the rods I have 2 10 ft ledger rods one 11 ft ledger rod ledger fishing is is with a weight on the bottom
Great days I used to fish exford weir before nightshifts catching carp by the ton.
The second to the right are the cages i use .I,m spewing sold all my course angling rod,s 25yrs ago recently purchased a 12ft Strada 3pc float rod feels okay not to sure about the quality of guides time will tell

canned_tuna
Has liked: 15 times

Post by canned_tuna » Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:46 pm

dazz999 wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:06 pm
Nude up wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:03 pm
The second to the right are the cages i use .I,m spewing sold all my course angling rod,s 25yrs ago recently purchased a 12ft Strada 3pc float rod feels okay not to sure about the quality of guides time will tell
I used to buy that style as well, but when I was a teenager and had no coin I used to make them out of old camera film containers...worked a treat

sloth

Post by sloth » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:11 pm

Yeah that style is what I’m using currently - not the easiest things to find in Aus but I found a seller on eBay that does a bulk lot
64A2347E-B528-46A8-A193-6C375D47B59B.png
They are meant to be used for maggots but they seem to work fine as long as the burley is a fine crumb. I’ve got a couple of open ended cage feeders too - they work a bit better I think because you can pack them with burley but also throw in some corn so you end up with the corn hook bait lying amongst corn from the feeder. I think the maggot ones disperse pretty quickly … hard to tell - need the water to clear up so i can chuck one in close and watch what happens.

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”