Carp Diem

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Carp Diem

Post by 4liters » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:13 pm

I use unweighted bread pressed into a doughy 'log' so the hook stays in it:

Leave the bail open so the carp can run with the bait without feeling any pressure and when it's got up a head of steam flick the bail over to set the hook. They've got fleshy mouths so the hook goes in pretty easy.

It works...rather well: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=25076
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Paulanderson
Has liked: 48 times

Post by Paulanderson » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:11 pm

It is not just in Europe. Am unsure if they still come but for many years a "coarse" fishing club from Sydney would come up for a weekend and fish for mainly carp in Lake Burley Griffin in Canberra - home to a lot of large mud marlin as well as a few other species. They would come with the full equipment set up and all sorts of baits and burley etc, mark out their "beats", and have quite a few issues with the local swans and ducks who liked a free feed! It was quite interesting to watch. To be fair they caught a lot of carp and the odd redfin but locals fishing nearby with bread and corn seemed to do just as well without all the gear. I suspect that most Burley Griffin mud marlin had little if any resistance to taking baits.

Paul

canned_tuna
Has liked: 15 times

Post by canned_tuna » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:35 am

I used to get in there two ways (this was 25 years ago so entry might be different now!)Firstly down Chambers Rd. We used to be able to drive right through to the creek but I believe it is blocked now so park at the end and walk in. Also off Kororoit Ck rd there is a dirt track along side the train tracks we used to go down that. On the Chambers Rd side I have been absolutely smoked numerous times by big carp and got them up to 20lb using 12lb string. Any lighter and they bust you off. Oh and I did see the occasional Joe Blake there but they are also at Cherry Lake so it doesnt matter which arfea you fish they will be there.

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:13 am

Catching small fish isn't the hardest thing to do.
Tripping up the larger specimens is where the difference in tactics comes in.
A 25lb+ carp has seen a whole lot of corn\bread on circle hooks, they actively turn their nose up at basic offerings.
They've spent the good part of 2 decades avoiding the white bucket brigade.

I have had much larger fish magically appear in places that I have caught smaller models on corn\bread.
There is an industry that is built around being able to tactfully and purposely target them, for a reason.
If you are targeting the bigger fish specifically, be prepared to donut. Even with the best laid plans there is learning and refining.

On a side note, the media content that the UK angling community put up is of really high quality and something that especially over the winter months when the natives slow down I find myself more and more drawn too. Regardless of the invasive status of the species, there is definitely merit to cracking any fishing puzzle, perhaps learning a new skill and especially one that will travel well globally.

If there is one thing we should learn from the carp anglers in the UK, it is how they go about fish handling.
Dedicated weigh slings, no hanging from lip grips, mats , cradles. Things that would translate brilliantly into how we handle our own natives, especially larger cod, Golden perch, heck even Barra.
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

canned_tuna
Has liked: 15 times

Post by canned_tuna » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:21 am

canned_tuna wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:35 am
I used to get in there two ways (this was 25 years ago so entry might be different now!)Firstly down Chambers Rd. We used to be able to drive right through to the creek but I believe it is blocked now so park at the end and walk in. Also off Kororoit Ck rd there is a dirt track along side the train tracks we used to go down that. On the Chambers Rd side I have been absolutely smoked numerous times by big carp and got them up to 20lb using 12lb string. Any lighter and they bust you off. Oh and I did see the occasional Joe Blake there but they are also at Cherry Lake so it doesnt matter which arfea you fish they will be there.
Oh, and dont think big bait, big carp...Ive got my biggest carp under a waggler float with 2 maggots on a size 14 hook berleying with an occassional handful of maggots thrown around the float

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:25 pm

I love coarse fishing many year,s ago Terry Sheppard you could book a day,s fishing with him smart guy money well spent .I use to catch some very big carp at Karkarook using a the plastic berley cage attached to a feeder boom size #10 long shank fly hook .Only used maggot,s and bread crumb, mixed with water to sandy type mix and also used a drennan catapult to loose feed maggots i found carp like lot,s of berley . Lastly the thing you were doing hiding the hook in the bread mix a while ago when i went to Terry,s shop i picked up some shotgun feeder,s check them out on youtube

sloth

Post by sloth » Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:43 pm

For people who like buying gear carp fishing is definitely the go …. And if you’re struggling to carry it to your swim
886842B8-E5A9-4661-A087-555CB55A47CB.jpeg
Only 700 quid. Bargain :)

sloth

Post by sloth » Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:46 pm

Shotgun feeder is neat :) very innovative.

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:58 am

sloth wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:43 pm
For people who like buying gear carp fishing is definitely the go …. And if you’re struggling to carry it to your swim

886842B8-E5A9-4661-A087-555CB55A47CB.jpeg

Only 700 quid. Bargain :)
Still probably get a lot more use out of a cart like that than a 18000 Stella SW that sits in the shed :rf:

I'd take it even to the market lol
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:00 am

I used to fish for carp many years ago when I came out from England I loved float fishing and have a large selection of floats and float rods . Nothing better than watching the float disappear I found maggots the best bait plenty of berley I used to use pollard mixed with water and scents I brought back from the UK on my visit homes.
The swim feeder is an under rated piece of equipment here in aus I have some larger ones I use in the salt water. My brother in law in the uk is a big carp fisherman and I have been with him many times the equipment is out of control in the uk price wise
The carp in the uk have been caught many times due to the catch and release policy I found the carp here much eager to bite little do they know it will be their last as you can not return them to the water

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”